ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hot rear wheel after disc and pad change?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Bit of a head scratcher this.
Quick run down on what's been replaced.
Last September my 182 had a new offside caliper fitted as it failed on brake efficiency. It's been ok since except it needed new discs and pads as they were getting a bit worn so I fitted these last week, genuine renault discs and trw pads. Ever since then I've noticed the offside rear wheel gets really hot even after a short drive.
So today I adjusted the handbrake a bit to give it a bit of slack as the wheel was binding when jacked up. The nearside wheel spins fine and that's also had a new caliper, pads and disc.
Took the caliper off , took the sliders out and greased them plus the handbrake mechanism.
No change , still binding and getting hot. When i tighten up the 2 18mm bolts that go through the sliders then there's no movement whatsoever in the sliders. They have to be tight otherwise the caliper will be lose? Or could work lose.
Handbrake is on 3 - 4 clicks , even when it's slacker than that it still binds.
Anybody got any ideas?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Few things I would check, if the dust boot is broken anywhere, if the piston is corroded, if the sliders freely move (is not rubber grease them), whether the caliper slider bolts are correctly torqued, if the pads can move freely in the carrier.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The piston moves when using the handbrake mechanism and brake pedal , I've had the dust boot off and greased inside, also greased the sliders.
If I leave the 18mm bolts that go through the sliders loose then everything moves as it should. I just tightened the 18mm bolts tight as I could, I didn't torque them to 100nm which I've since read should be the torque setting. 100nm is pretty tight though. There's absolutely no movement side to side of the sliders which normally would indicate the sliders probably being rusty and sticking but the caliper was brand new 10 months ago.
When i spin the wheel by hand the pads are tight on the disc as if the handbrake mechanism isn't releasing properly. I haven't done anything different than when I've changed the discs and pads before. The offside wheel spins freely, just this nearside giving me some problems.
I soaked the 18mm bolts in wd40 then put a bit of copper grease on the threads before reassembling. I'll strip it down again tomorrow and clean off all the grease then try not tightening as much and put some threadlock on.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
@Yorkshire Pudding @frayz
Bearing spacer is there , flat face outwards.
When the 2 x 18mm bolts aren't tightened up fully the caliper moves back and forth on the sliders. When i tighten them up fully the caliper becomes solid and doesn't move at all.
The bolts are original bolts and have about 20/25mm ish of thread , so I've been tightening them until I can't tighten them anymore, then that stops the sliders sliding. What I did notice was that one of the bolts/ threads protudes through the hole in the hub more than the other , maybe a couple of mm, the other 18mm bolt is flush.
I think I might be overtightening them maybe? Should I leave them both so they don't protrude on the other side of the holes in the hub? I didn't put any thread lock on, I need to pick some up today.
So basically what I'm trying to say In a long winded way lol . Do I not tighten the 2 x 18mm bolts that go through the sliders too tight ? Ive I've read its 100nm .

Last edited:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
That bent bit of metal that joins the two 18mm bolts together will be the culprit if it's bent out of shape.

I've had the same happen on mine.

Take if off and then tighten the bolts and test to see if the caliper slides.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a head scratcher this.
Quick run down on what's been replaced.
Last September my 182 had a new offside caliper fitted as it failed on brake efficiency. It's been ok since except it needed new discs and pads as they were getting a bit worn so I fitted these last week, genuine renault discs and trw pads. Ever since then I've noticed the offside rear wheel gets really hot even after a short drive.
So today I adjusted the handbrake a bit to give it a bit of slack as the wheel was binding when jacked up. The nearside wheel spins fine and that's also had a new caliper, pads and disc.
Took the caliper off , took the sliders out and greased them plus the handbrake mechanism.
No change , still binding and getting hot. When i tighten up the 2 18mm bolts that go through the sliders then there's no movement whatsoever in the sliders. They have to be tight otherwise the caliper will be lose? Or could work lose.
Handbrake is on 3 - 4 clicks , even when it's slacker than that it still binds.
Anybody got any ideas?

The spacer 600073518 did not remain on the stub axle & is still on the removed disc, or has been installed incorrectly.

https://cliosport.net/threads/rear-disc-bearing-spacers.744419/#post-10276604

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
That bent bit of metal that joins the two 18mm bolts together will be the culprit if it's bent out of shape.

I've had the same happen on mine.

Take if off and then tighten the bolts and test to see if the caliper slides.

As James said. The bracket that goes between the two sliders stops is seizing.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Right , quick update. It's done my fuckin head in lol.
The 2 x 18mm bolts that go through the sliders are different lengths.
One is 89mm one is 85mm . So roughly 4mm was protruding through the bottom hole in the hub.
I never knew there were 2 different lengths of bolts, and that it made a difference?
Anyway . I've swapped them round so the longer bolt goes through the top hole, that now protrudes about 4mm but when I tighten the bolts now the sliders still work.
So for now anyway, the wheel now spins freely as it should.
Thanks for all your input fellas. Much appreciated (y)

Attachments

• 20200722_131713.jpg
    20200722_131713.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
  • 20200722_131126.jpg
    20200722_131126.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200722_133246.jpg
    20200722_133246.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 114

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Still strange because both my bolts protrude and I have no issues with the wheel not turning.

If it's sorted it's sorted though, that's what counts!

20200326_175822.jpg

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Still strange because both my bolts protrude and I have no issues with the wheel not turning.

If it's sorted it's sorted though, that's what counts!

View attachment 1487124
Very strange. I've had the car since new and not knowingly have the bolts been changed. I did have a new caliper fitted last September after it had been off the road. There's definitely a difference of 4mm between the bolts.

It's better than it was but I'm still not 100% happy with it. I've got and old caliper that I might try and see if that makes any difference. That should be fun getting the bolts off after using high strength threadlock.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Never noticed mine being different lengths either.
Could there be a chance its had replacement non OEM hardware at some point?
I don't think so. Last September when I had the caliper replaced is the first time a garage has touched the rear brakes. Unless they did it ? I know these 2 guys well but it's like alot of these back street garages, you can never really trust them100%.
I'll have another look at it when the weather gets better. I've got a spare caliper that I think is ok. We'll see.