ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How are OEM tweeters wired?

Ph2 172
As title really.

I'm wanting to put in some Pioneer tweeters. The ones that are specific to renault. How are the OEM tweeters wired up?

I'll be putting the crossovers under the dash most probably. I realise that the main feed will come from the HU and then split. But how are the OEM tweeters wired. Are they the same?

BMW M135i
They're filtered and are just a split off the front speaker feed, theres no crossover on the stock system. The oem replacement pioneers are the same setup with a filter on the tweeter.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
They're filtered and are just a split off the front speaker feed, theres no crossover on the stock system. The oem replacement pioneers are the same setup with a filter on the tweeter.

I was going to say from the looks of it those Pioneers just replace stock items without having to worry about anything, not a bad idea really. Would be interested to know what they are like as I could do with swapping out my fronts but don't want to go too nuts :)

BMW M135i
I've got some in the meggy, good cheap quick and easy upgrade over standards. Wasn't amazed with them initially but they've responded to being amped very well.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Doubt I'd be amping them, but running them off a decent enough HU so should still sound a bit better than standard, I hope :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I always thought the stock tweeters were pretty good. The door speakers lacking punch, but I replaced those with some pretty hefty midbass speakers and the bass still cracked before the treble did.

Polo + Micra
the high pass filter is part of the tweeter

so you will need one on the replacement speakers other wise it will get full range

Ph2 172
Great, looks like those pioneers are a straight swap.

I suppose that means components with a crossover box are better than the Pioneer direct replacements. I'm sure a cpacitor on the back of a tweeter isn't as good as a crossover box. Where does the wire split, or are they wired in series?

PH1 172 Sport
The pioneers are a very good and easy upgrade from stock speakers ive had them for a year and i'm quite happy with them.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to ask, have they got the same connectors on as the stock units or do you have to frig about with the wiring?

Black Gold Trophy
the standard tweeters have a built in coil (I think its a coil) that filters out the lower frequencies. If you plug a plain tweeter without some sort of cross over into those wires it will damage it as there is nothing to filter out the lower frequencies.

Ph2 172
the standard tweeters have a built in coil (I think its a coil) that filters out the lower frequencies. If you plug a plain tweeter without some sort of cross over into those wires it will damage it as there is nothing to filter out the lower frequencies.

I realise that.

What I want to know is how they are wired. Is there a seperate feed from the HU to the tweeter, or is there 1 feed that goes to the tweeter and then onto the door speakers?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I know they don't 'do' much but would have been nice to round the kit off if they included plug and play replacements for the back as well, to round it all off.

A.N. Other
I tried to find the split point in mine at the weekend, and gave up after 10mins with my head upside down under the dashboard - sorry!
In the end I just used the standard cable & snipped the connectors at the speaker, but the Hertz speakers I've got come with an inline crossover for each speaker so possibly different to yours.