ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How best to run in a Clio Silverstone

Clio Silverstone
Hi everybody - I just got a new Clio Silverstone the other day - I know nothing and need help lol, so.....If anyone who is experienced and knows what they're talking about has any guidelines for me on how best to run it in, for how many miles, whether it needs an oil change after 500 miles etc - basically the best way to treat a clio rs from new I'd be most appreciative.
Thanks guys

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Don't Kane it until 625 miles as per Renaults run in recommendations.

silverstone GP
No need to do a oil change until its due the regular service.

I was told by my local dealer the engine is run in at the factory so i can drive it however i wanted.

Lamborghini test every single car by thrashing it round a private track soon as it roles off the production line.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Do you plan on keeping it forever?

Just warm it up, and thrash the tits off it

silverstone GP
Talking of shift beep ive not herd mine when is it supposed to beep & can it be adjusted to beep at different rpm ?

You're doing it wrong.

This is how its done. Note the 147 miles on the clock ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Owners manual tell you the running in procedure. In my opinion, nail it from new, they always run better long term. We just sold a silverstone didnt think much of it, just overpriced.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Get it warm, give it death.

It will be a fast one later in life. ;)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Another one in the warm it up, 'kin nail it camp. Did my Auris SR160 no harm, ran over book power when I rr'd it with 1000 miles! Fastest 1/4 mile on the TOC for a standard one at the time too. Didnt use a drop of oil either.

53 Clio's & counting
Tolerances are much much better today than they were years ago, as are materials and production processes - once warm drive it how you wish, it will be fine.

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Lamborghini test every single car by thrashing it round a private track soon as it roles off the production line.

Aston Martin do the same, I've seen them spanking unregistered cars with the plastic on the panels around the test track at Gaydon.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I'm sure i read somewhere on here that the oil renault use in the cliosport F4r's doesn't allow the rings to bed in particularly well unless you give the engine some stick. I might be imagining it though. I've read so much info on these cars in the last couple of months.

Lionel Richie
manufactures "running in" is more to do with bedding in the brakes/tyres/getting the owner use to the car

engines don't need running in these days IMO

silverstone GP
Lol at engines being run-in at the factory.

Why is that mate ?

Every single discovery program ive eve watched that involves building an engine whether it be bike or car they either put the engine on a jig or rolling road & test it, revving the nutts of it.

As long as the engine is warm it don't matter how hard you use it. It matters more how u use it. eg not just cruising along @ 3k all the time thinking your doing it right.

Clio Silverstone
hi m8 nice car ,but how did you get a £19000 odd car down to £17000 no trade in??
geo
yeah, that's right - there was no trade in. I'll sell what I've got privately - I always find that trying to trade in a car for a decent amount and get a big discount on the new one is not a great idea - it can turn out to be expensive.
I just went to autoebid.com and broadspeed .com looked up the price, £20,000 and then their discount price, £17,000 - then called the big Renault dealer in London
and said I don't want to buy it on the internet, I'd prefer to buy it from you so if you do it for £17,000 I'll give you the £500 deposit by card over the phone now.
Half an hour later they called back and said yes - picked it up 2 days later.
It's a really nice car to drive - really like it.
They told me to not go over 3,500 - 4,000rpm for the first 600 miles and then to gradually increase the revs.
They also said that ideally it would be good to change the oil at 1000 miles to flush out the metal bits from a new engine.
This is what I will do.
Everyone has their opinion I suppose.....

Lionel Richie
there won't be metal bits in the engine, as i said, its not 1952 anymore, and you're not driving a ford anglia

MCS R56
Why is that mate ?

Every single discovery program ive eve watched that involves building an engine whether it be bike or car they either put the engine on a jig or rolling road & test it, revving the nutts of it.

As long as the engine is warm it don't matter how hard you use it. It matters more how u use it. eg not just cruising along @ 3k all the time thinking your doing it right.

I think he invented cars, so he knows.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Most mass produced cars are built at the rate of hundreds per day. Often 1200+ units. They don't run them in.

You are forgetting this is the silverstone edition-
Parts sourced from floor of Mclaren HQ & cleaned with unicorn fur-

Bench run for 500 miles - that way its a special edition engine? ;)

S

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Special sunshine bus edition ;)

Its not that bad-- its a nice car, but as I mentioned on the renaultsport forum ( much to the disgust of RUK on there ) its not worth their list price & not that much different to a specced 200-

At least the OP got a good discount...

Steve

Plus when it was driven across the docks, it was probably doing 7000rpm before the bloke even let go of the button.