ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How big can you go

In general what is the biggest size alloy (with tyre, low profile) you can fit on a standard Mk2 clio?

Mine is just a Mk2 1.2i grande 98 reg and im possibly going to get a set of 17s to see if they would fit

if they dont what would be involved in making them fit and would lowering the car help to make them fit?

Thanks

18s no arch mods (not lowered)
19s with a little arch work (not lowered)

17s little rubbing (not too much) (60mm drop)
18s (arch work required) (60mm drop)

if you are fitting big rims, it is a good idea to lower your car as it will look even more like a tractor after you fit them

Clio v6

I suppose it wouldnt make too much diffrence really. What about wear on the driveshafts and the extra load on wheel bearings. Would bigger wheels put strain on these?

I guess your only into looks anyway?

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Yep, youll were out bearings a lot easier and quicker. 12 month warrenty on some tho so replaced for free when they go every 6 month

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

*Auto Translation

Yes, your bearings will wear much quicker than with the standard alloys on. You normally get a 12 month warranty on bearings, so if they go after 6 months you will be covered.

;)

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

your car will handel like its on stilts, accelaration will be compramised and bearings etc will wear out far quicker, what a bargain :cry: not...

Clio v6

Will they be covered or will the non standard wheels void the steering and suspension warranty of the car?

17s with a 40 profile have an almost identical rolling radius as the standard 15s. The wider wheels would mean turn in would suffer, however you would have more grip, lesser mortals will consider that better handling. ;)

-Rob

but the speedo will be messed up surley? also the gearing of the car will be changed? I thought it wa able to get wheels and tyres so the overall diameter didnt change, eg move up and inch in wheel and loose the same in the tyre with low profiles ect - but i havnt a clue about this sort of thing!!!!

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

Quote: Originally posted by Rorrie on 13 August 2003

but the speedo will be messed up surley? also the gearing of the car will be changed? I thought it wa able to get wheels and tyres so the overall diameter didnt change, eg move up and inch in wheel and loose the same in the tyre with low profiles ect - but i havnt a clue about this sort of thing!!!!
yes the speedo will say your actually goin faster than it says!

got the alloys and now its gonna need lowering looks like you could live under the archs at the moment.

do you think a 60mm drop would cause the archs to rub as id rather not lower it then find it needs work done to it as "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Quote: Originally posted by jabba the slut on 14 August 2003

yes the speedo will say your actually goin faster than it says!
i was always under the impression that the larger the dia of the wheel the slower the reading.....& the smaller the dia......the faster the speedo reading !!!!

Clio v6

Johnny Ball time I reckon. A larger wheel would need less full turns to show 10mph on a speedo. I may be wrong but it seems a reasonable suggestion.

Do we still have speedo drive gears with different amounts of teeth on them? Perhaps these would be matched to the diameter of the wheels/tyres?

I feel yet another learning curve coming on.