ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How can i wire a sub to a standard Mk3 Clio Head Unit

Clio Dynamique S 1.5 DCI
As title. Im not really wanting to spend any money on a new headunit, so am wanting to know what i need so i can hook my sub up to the standard stereo.
Any help appreciated :)

Thanks

Nick

Ollie's Silver Cup
The problem with standard head unit's is their lack of RCA outputs!

What you'd need is a high-to-low converter, which converts speaker outputs to RCA outputs :) They're available on ebay for next to nothing.

You'll still need a small amp to power the sub, as the headunit can't power it, but the high/low converter will allow the connection between amp and h/u using RCA's :)

2008 Clio 1.2 TCE
it can be done!! i had this done in mine, although got it done professionally before i gt the car.... think its to do with the cd changer or something not too sure but with money u spend on gettin it done id get an aftermarket head unit..

Clio Dynamique S 1.5 DCI
Oh right. well ive got a after market head unit: pioneer Avh p5900 dvd, but its a flip out screen one. but was in my old car. but doesn't really look very good in my clio an when you switch the engine off all power is cut to the head unit which means the screen stays half out which is really annoying. an means i have to click a button on it to close it every time before i turn the engine off which is too much hassle for me haha.

A ANIMAL
Oh right. well ive got a after market head unit: pioneer Avh p5900 dvd, but its a flip out screen one. but was in my old car. but doesn't really look very good in my clio an when you switch the engine off all power is cut to the head unit which means the screen stays half out which is really annoying. an means i have to click a button on it to close it every time before i turn the engine off which is too much hassle for me haha.

Not wired in properly then matey. should have a constant feed

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
^^ Swap the red and the yellow about basically mate...

As for doing it off standard:

You'd need the high to low converters as said, then a sub and an amp.

From there:

Run a direct power cable to the amp from the battery

A cable from the hi/lo converter/speaker wire to the amp

A cable from a "remote" on the head unit (a wire that is made live when the ignition is switched on) to the amp,

A cable from the amp to a grounding point

Then one last cable from the amp to the sub.

Done

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Or just run a speaker wire from one of the rear speakers to the sub.

Pikey styleeeeee. Yeah baby. Works though.

Clio Dynamique S 1.5 DCI
Thanks for all the help, decided to book it in at halfrauds at the end of the month to wire up the head unit for me. saves me alot of hassle :p

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sell out tbh! The halfords guys will do no better than you if you take your time mate. I've seen them work and half the time its trial and error like it is when you do it yourself.

If anything, if you have the patience to do it yourself you can make it better than they could.

A3 Tdi
Sorry to hijack your thread but... If i had an active sub could i just plug the High-Low adaptor into the sub or is it something that needs to be done with a sub + separate amp setup? Thanks

R26
The problem with standard head unit's is their lack of RCA outputs!

What you'd need is a high-to-low converter, which converts speaker outputs to RCA outputs :) They're available on ebay for next to nothing.

You'll still need a small amp to power the sub, as the headunit can't power it, but the high/low converter will allow the connection between amp and h/u using RCA's :)

will one of these still sound as good as a stereo with built in pre outs?
cheers :)

Will the door speakers still work after fitting the High to low converter/ do you have the splice it in?
could anyone be kind enough to give me a link for an example of the high to low converter i would need?

Cheers