ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do i adjust the hand break?

CLS, RS MEG
Hi. I've done a search but to not much luck. My g/f's clio authentique needs the hand break tightening. The hand break lever is virtually vertical before the break engages. Does it just need tightening, and if so how do I do this?

Cheers, Rob

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Rob, It depends on how the slack has occured.

Normal pad wear should not show up like that, so check the cables have not stretched or broken and that both of them are connected.

You can see them by lying down next to the car, but if you have access to a ramp its easier.
Chock the front wheels and get your G/F to operate the lever while you look to see whats going on.

If everything appears OK you should check the rear pads and if worn, replace them. Its not difficult and there is a guide on this site.

Adjusters need to be wound in to get the new pads in place and the handbrake cables disconnected while the footbrake is pumped to adjust the new pads back into place (this should be done with the engine running so the servo is working)

If you now connect up the handbrake cables and the lever is still travelling excessively, its new handbrake cable time.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
OOPS....read the question Brian :clown:

I think your G/Fs car has Drum brakes, the answer above was for your car.....sorry.

I will just have a quick look on Autodata and give you another answer.....What year is the car ?

Lots of Alfas
Do that first^, some clios have an adjusting nut on the lever, pull the plastic cover off the back of the lever and there should be a nut on the passenger side that adjusts the slack, if not then you'll have to adjust it from underneath.