ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how do i take out the stereo? (172 ph2)

clio sport 172 ph2
Hi all

My new HU has arrived and is there supposed to be a tool to take out the standard CD player? there are 4 holes i can see, any special tool?

Thanks

S4 Avant
If the coat hangers bend, you'll need something stronger, I use 3 small alan keys, and a small screw driver. Works a treat.

The technique is to push them all in, and pull all 4 prongs out to the sides, while pulling the radio out.

53 Renault clio 1.2 16V
Metal coat hanger is fine mate, bend it so they slot in and pull them towards each door so to speak and pull, easy.

Storm Grey 200
Anything long and thin tbh.

I use coat hangers, screwdrivers, skewers (sp) improvise man

leave it in swansea town centre over night :D

i used thin screw drivers but you can get the proper keys for like 3.50 in any motor factors worth it for that price

clio sport 172 ph2
ok, old one out, new one in, doesent work :(

there are 3 blocks on the clio, 1 yellow, 2 black ones

i can connect the 2 black ones up no problem (only go in one of the holes on the back of the Alpine) the yellow block is left out, and the aerial is also connected

alpine not working :(

LY R26
clios are isoblock which is the same as a aftermarket headunit.

the two black ones should be the only ones connected.

have you maybe connected them up wrong?

clio sport 172 ph2
clios are isoblock which is the same as a aftermarket headunit.

the two black ones should be the only ones connected.

have you maybe connected them up wrong?

i tried all other ways, back to front and tried in the different connectors, but they only go one way

am i doing something wrong , or the unit is poss faulty?

one of the black blocks is for the speakers and the other is for the power/etc. take it the fuses in the HU and the fuseboard are OK? and you're trying it with ignition on? (sorry if that's a daft question)

the small yellow block is for the steering controls and the dash display - not needed

clio sport 172 ph2
one of the black blocks is for the speakers and the other is for the power/etc. take it the fuses in the HU and the fuseboard are OK? and you're trying it with ignition on? (sorry if that's a daft question)

the small yellow block is for the steering controls and the dash display - not needed

when i connect the alpine up, the ignition key is out and i have checked the fuse on the HU and the car (stereo only) and both are fine

i tried an old CD player and that worked straight away, u could hear the CD mechanism and the LED flashes

does sound as though there's a problem with the HU then. the red/yellow lead thing is for the memory - they should both be live with the ign. on

one last thought - is this a new unit? you have connected the yellow and red leads in the new Alpine loom? (as they're not connected at all as you take them out of the packaging). again, sorry if i'm asking the obvious here

Last edited:
  clio sport 172 ph2
im going to post a picture of the wire that connected to the back of the Alpine unit

the two big black blocks are the opnly 2 that are connected up (apart from the aerial which isnt shown)

clio sport 172 ph2
DSCF3719_a.jpg

yep - connect the yellow leads together - there's no power

you may need to play around connecting the yellow to the red lead to get the memory working - the connectors will piggyback

clio sport 172 ph2
hmm, confused now, ive connected the 2 black block connectors up, anything else i need to do?
i havent touched any of the single wires, ive left those as they are

as above - connect the yellow leads together.

the block in the top right is taking power from the car's loom and passing it into the stereo through the block at the bottom - there's no continuity unless you plug the leads in

have a look at the wiring diagram in the destructions for details of what colour's what (yellow and red are power - one's permanent live and the other's switched; neither are connected to anything in the piccie!)

clio sport 172 ph2
oh right, so why is the yellow one disconected?

so all i need to do is conect the TWO yellow wires together?

thinking about it, do i need to connect the two red wires up as well?

thanks, will try it first thing in the morning

oh right, so why is the yellow one disconected?

so all i need to do is conect the TWO yellow wires together?

thinking about it, do i need to connect the two red wires up as well?

thanks, will try it first thing in the morning

yep, connect the reds as well. as said, may need to connect yellow-to-red to get the memory working. need to play around with it