ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you afford your 172/182s?

clio sport 200
im 23, I can afford mine because I started an apprenticeship at 16. Been fully qualified for about 18th months and have a pretty decent job has a maintenance fitter :)

a black one
richeh what apparenticeship did u do mate and how did u find out about it if u dont mind me asking?

clio sport 200
richeh what apparenticeship did u do mate and how did u find out about it if u dont mind me asking?

Did an apprenticeship in manufacturing maintenance, got the job through a company called connections. Did my apprenticeship for a brick company called Tarmac Topblock.

Going to uni in sept, but it's in London so am probably going to sell the cup :'( Don't want to slave away to pay/maintain a car whilst at uni, although I have already paid my instance until next feb so maybe il keep it until then! Currently I do some bar work/retail while I'm finishing off college which pays for fuel etc, have savings incase something major goes wrong also!

Not a 320d
Lol. Im 22, at uni. I dont run a sport. And I dont know how people in my situation manage it without giving up their social lives.

I run a GT, which is apparantly s**t, and I (apparantly) shouldnt have bought it for £11.5K cash. As I could have been running a 197 for that price. Yeah. Great idea. Even though Im skint as it is running a GT with £155 tax and £800 insurance a year. Up fuel costs, tax and insurance costs and I'd be running myself, to Uni. I also get 28.5mpg in the Gt. Wonder what a 197 would see under my foot?

I wanted a 172 at your age when I was at college. Really are better ways to skint yourself, like going out with mates and having a social life. So glad I didnt get a clio 182/172 at 19, id still be in a now 7-11 year old french car which quite frankly isnt really that quick.

Company insurance on a range of fairly nippy BMW's does take the pain away though :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Going to uni in sept, but it's in London so am probably going to sell the cup :'( Don't want to slave away to pay/maintain a car whilst at uni, although I have already paid my instance until next feb so maybe il keep it until then! Currently I do some bar work/retail while I'm finishing off college which pays for fuel etc, have savings incase something major goes wrong also!

I'm going to try and run the clio if I go to uni next year. Can't see it being too much trouble tbh, its all paid for afterall.

S'trollin on size 7s
im 23 ,work at a screenprinters. paying a loan off until december at £116 a month
tank of fuel lasts me about a week and a half (saying that, i fill up whenever it gets to a quarter or just under) so i usually put about £45 in each week and a half really.
insurance is £76 a month. and i manage to keep up with maintanence ans stuff...providing the cambelt doesnt fail and cost me a good £1400...oh wait a minute it has.lol :dapprove:

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Im 21 and work full time. I have a good job which pays pretty good to.

Like others have said, i do over 300 mile a week in mine so the worst part is filling it up. I still love it though. :D

Sam!

Arctic 182
im at college 3 days a week and work 30ish hours at a country pub/restaurant and can afford my 182 easily. i adverage 40 quid a week in tips alone which pretty much pays for petrol for the week leaving my wage free for other things. plus bought the car outright last year and paid insurance in full so ive got no repayments. im ready for 4 new tyres though !!

Arctic FF 182
I got mine when I was 18 working full time in sales, 6 points and a claim it was very costly but I did it by working hard and loved every minute. Now I own all the car I'm regretfully going to be selling up to invest in my business I recently started :dapprove:

V6 PH1
depends what you call afford, how much is alot? Its not as bad as i thought it was ever going to be so just took the plunge and love every drive out!

Slow red one
Lol. Im 22, at uni. I dont run a sport. And I dont know how people in my situation manage it without giving up their social lives.

I run a GT, which is apparantly s**t, and I (apparantly) shouldnt have bought it for £11.5K cash. As I could have been running a 197 for that price. Yeah. Great idea. Even though Im skint as it is running a GT with £155 tax and £800 insurance a year. Up fuel costs, tax and insurance costs and I'd be running myself, to Uni. I also get 28.5mpg in the Gt. Wonder what a 197 would see under my foot?

I wanted a 172 at your age when I was at college. Really are better ways to skint yourself, like going out with mates and having a social life. So glad I didnt get a clio 182/172 at 19, id still be in a now 7-11 year old french car which quite frankly isnt really that quick.

Company insurance on a range of fairly nippy BMW's does take the pain away though :)
f**k, you paid 11.5k cash! and only get 28.5 mpg? Even with mighty high insurance a 172/182 still sounds cheaper to me at that age after reading that.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
at 17 my 172 cost me £650 a month that was fuel payment and insurance.

the rest was all on top of that, tax, mot, tyres, servicing etc

i made £720 a month at the time!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Lol you're all mad. Sod working my arse off just for a 1*2

albi 197
I currently I work full time nights at morrisons and go to uni full time as well. Don't seem to have too many issues swapping my car every 18 months, although I've decided to keep the 197 for a bit longer as I've put far too much money into it in terms of maintenance and mods.