ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How does the Clio 182 compare

I owned a Focus RS up until the end of last year and I have to say it was a dream to drive. I am now thinking of joining you chaps and going down the 182 or possibly the 200bhp as covered in the Auto Express this week.

My questions are :-

Has anyone driven both the RS and the 182 and if so, how did they compare?

What are the main niggles with the 182? I have just joined so I will go off and read all the material but as a kick start I would appreciate some high level pointers. I do own a Clio and it does rattle a bit, so I guess this will be a big gripe.

What are they like in the wet?

what is a good price to pay for insurance? I have just been on to tescos and got a £775 quote.

In anticipation - thanks.

[Edited by jaegerg2 on 13 March 2005 at 11:30pm]

tiTTy & SV650

182 cupd or not could do with coilovers, hang on for the clio trophy I say. Theyre great in the wet thanks to Pilot Exalto 2 tyres. Things that annoy me are:

driving position, lack of 6th gear, seat belt rattles on b-pillar, no decent cup holders, uncomfortable resting my arm on the door where i normally do lol

great value for money poket rocket though.

I see from some posts, depreciation is a real problem. Maybe the trophy is the way forward (if the rumours are true!) as the limited edition will help to retain the value.

I bought my RS for just over 21K (with extras) and nearly 2 years on sold it for 17K, not bad in my opinion.

Thanks

By the way, my insurance was £550!

On the cup holder front, the RS also lacked decent cup holders - still, it prevents the risk of the odd spill when hurling the car around a round-about or two!

Cheers

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Matt Williams 2 on 13 March 2005

No decent cupholders are you serious.......

:p
yeah at least my 205 gti had somewhere a cup would fit, 182 sucks for BKs

P

peterh2

If your paying cash have a look at some online brokers, you will be able to save a load so the depreciation won’t be as bad. Alternatively buy one that’s about 6 months old so someone else has already taken the depreciation hit.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by jaegerg2 on 13 March 2005

By the way, my insurance was £550!

On the cup holder front, the RS also lacked decent cup holders - still, it prevents the risk of the odd spill when hurling the car around a round-about or two!

Cheers
RS means Renault Sport around here ;)

Id wait for the trophy if I was you - only comes in red though (inferno?)

Clio 197

Coming from the Focus RS, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Remember the 182s normally aspirated, so youll need to watch your rev counter and gears until you get used to it. Itll be lighter on the fuel, and tyres will cost less (being 16").

Handling will please you, plus you might as well go for the cup pack for £200 - makes it a bit stiffer, and youll love roundabouts. I take it comfort wont be a major factor in your decision?

Wet grip is good, allthough Ive found the non-cup to be less skittish in the wet.

My quote is a bit high at £900; very good postcode, 3NCD and one SP50.

On the options list, you cannot de-select rattles unfortunately.

The only niggle Ive got is torque steer, but if your coming from a Focus RS then I suppose anythings better than what youve just had.

get koni adjustables at least on the 182. i have them on the 172 and they are seriously good but the ride is now harsh as fook LOL.

Clio 200 Cup packed

Quote: Originally posted by Sidspud on 14 March 2005

The only niggle Ive got is torque steer, but if your coming from a Focus RS then I suppose anythings better than what youve just had.

torque steer in a172/182? It barley has enough torque to acheive such a thing.

An FRS in the wet, now thats torque steer! but its all part of the fun...

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by homerjay on 14 March 2005

its more lack of traction steer i guess, it does like to wander when you floor it.

VaVa

If you dont get torque steer in your 182 you must either

a) Be gay

or

b) drive like a gay

Whilst relatively low, 200 Nm is good torque for a standard 2.0 na engine and its certainly enough to tug the wheel of my 172 about a bit!!

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 14 March 2005 at 7:45pm]

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by jaegerg2 on 13 March 2005I owned a Focus RS up until the end of last year and I have to say it was a dream to drive. I am now thinking of joining you chaps and going down the 182 or possibly the 200bhp as covered in the Auto Express this week.My questions are :-Has anyone driven both the RS and the 182 and if so, how did they compare?What are the main niggles with the 182? I have just joined so I will go off and read all the material but as a kick start I would appreciate some high level pointers. I do own a Clio and it does rattle a bit, so I guess this will be a big gripe.What are they like in the wet?what is a good price to pay for insurance? I have just been on to tescos and got a £775 quote.In anticipation - thanks.

[Edited by jaegerg2 on 13 March 2005 at 11:30pm]

havent driven both but have gone up against one on a rolling start to quite fast speeds in Germany and I would say you wouldnt be able to pull them apart up to around 60/70 but after that the RS will start to pull away and keep pulling becasue of that Turbo. Around the twisties I wouldnt have thought there was much to separate them.

You might want to speak to Steve-RS (or the other way round) as he has both.

dont think you will be disappointed compared to the RS, just a completey different drive to the RS lacking the turbo.

Oh and can I be the first to welcome you!!!!!

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

My opinion maybe a little bias here but i cant help thinking that even though 18bhp less, the 182 would still get my vote! Its lighter&seems to shift alot more freely than the rs but if you had the turbo on the 182 then i think it would be in its own class.

VaVa

I take an FRS any day. Thats not to say hell be disappointed with a 182 mind.... Performance aside, the Focus has so many of the things that the 182 doesnt.... exclusivity, residuals, build quality....

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by jph172 on 14 March 2005
My opinion maybe a little bias here but i cant help thinking that even though 18bhp less, the 182 would still get my vote! Its lighter&seems to shift alot more freely than the rs but if you had the turbo on the 182 then i think it would be in its own class.

the RS has 215 bhp and a shed load more torque mate!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

If you are buying one the dont touch the suspension

Why compramise millions of pounds of research for some max power springs and dampers.The set up the car has is exellent and to put stiffer springs and the like on it would be a waste of money.In the wet the car would be so skitish its unreal.......

If all you do is track work then go for coilovers......If you ever drive on the road then stick to the standard cup pack suspension mods,they are more than enough

ian

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 14 March 2005

If you are buying one the dont touch the suspension

Why compramise millions of pounds of research for some max power springs and dampers.The set up the car has is exellent and to put stiffer springs and the like on it would be a waste of money.In the wet the car would be so skitish its unreal.......

If all you do is track work then go for coilovers......If you ever drive on the road then stick to the standard cup pack suspension mods,they are more than enough

ian
have to disagree, it lacks the sports car feel, very slight body roll and sh*t turn in. coilovers would be a great improvement for me. Although if you want comfort dont even get the cup pack.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 14 March 2005
Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 14 March 2005If you are buying one the dont touch the suspensionWhy compramise millions of pounds of research for some max power springs and dampers.The set up the car has is exellent and to put stiffer springs and the like on it would be a waste of money.In the wet the car would be so skitish its unreal.......If all you do is track work then go for coilovers......If you ever drive on the road then stick to the standard cup pack suspension mods,they are more than enoughian [/QUOTE]have to disagree, it lacks the sports car feel, very slight body roll and sh*t turn in. coilovers would be a great improvement for me. Although if you want comfort dont even get the cup pack.

i have to disagree with you, one of the clios best points is its turn in so cant see how you can say its sh1t as it is fantastic, have you taken yours on track?

roll it has yes, but not enough to make me wanna change them!

tiTTy & SV650

not been on track no but some very twisty b roads, cant help but think my 205gti handled better. OK the turn in works, just theres no feel which i dont like.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 14 March 2005not been on track no but some very twisty b roads, cant help but think my 205gti handled better. OK the turn in works, just theres no feel which i dont like.

sorry rory but i have to TOTALLY disagree with that, the 182 handles perfectly and is a dream on turn in, you point it goes and with loads of feedback! (and i used to have a 106 GTi which is said to be one of the best handling hot hatches of all time and the clio is better than that)

You need to get on track then and feel what all of us are feeling! Renaultsport Trackday at Brands in May, be there and I am sure you will change your mind!

BMW 120i Sport

I think the top gear times for both cars are 1.32.8 for the Focus RS and 1.33.8 for the 182, so theres not a lot in it for track times.

I love both cars.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 14 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 14 March 2005not been on track no but some very twisty b roads, cant help but think my 205gti handled better. OK the turn in works, just theres no feel which i dont like.

IMOsorry rory but i have to TOTALLY disagree with that, the 182 handles perfectly and is a dream on turn in, you point it goes and with loads of feedback! (and i used to have a 106 GTi which is said to be one of the best handling hot hatches of all time and the clio is better than that)

You need to get on track then and feel what all of us are feeling! Renaultsport Trackday at Brands in May, be there and I am sure you will change your mind!
IMHO its just so light and dead as you turn in, i hate power steering, I want an F40

ive noticed at low speeds you can turn the wheel a quater and the wheels only appeared to have turned a third. smae at higher speeds, you want to turn the wheel directly but there is a slight delay and a 15%-20% extra turn to get where you want. i think thats safety understeer.

however, ive fitted Koni adjustables and supplied 30mm springs Kit and it turns easier at lowe speed so you can spin the wheel with the plam of your hand almost, which i found difficult before and when driving at any speed you turn the wheel and instantly the amount you turn the steering wheel is the same amount the wheels turn so in effect you have reduced understeer taken out the body roll and it changes direction at stunning pace with no sway.. i recommend it to anyone who can stand the harsh ride on poor surfaces and the wheel grab over large puddles.. adds to the fun IMO hehe.

i imagine with coilovers it would be stunning but at least in my setup there is still the progressive back end slide and front grip warnings.. i imagine coilovers will alloy you 100% grip balance change of direction but 0% warning when it lets go.

Clio 200 Cup packed

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 14 March 2005

If you dont get torque steer in your 182 you must either

a) Be gay

or

b) drive like a gay

Whilst relatively low, 200 Nm is good torque for a standard 2.0 na engine and its certainly enough to tug the wheel of my 172 about a bit!!

i aint quite sure how you gays drive but my 182 does not suffer from torque steer in comparision to my old astra coupe turbo, my mates FRS and my mates old rover 220 turbo.

maybe its your girly arms that cant control the bus like steering wheel?

:devilish:

The Jinx

If you have to hold the steering wheel hard when accelerating then yes it suffers torque steer.

I personally would have the FRS. Youll get virtually all of your money back after 3 years. There are also mods for the OTT diff IIRC.

Well thanks for all your great comments and the warm welcome. There is clearly a number of differing views on the subject and I suppose I need to either bite the bullet and buy one or just go back to Ford land when I can next aFord it again.

Will keep you posted on the decision - I still cant help but wonder about the 200bhp Clio. When I spoke to my dealer he said around half had already been reserved and that the price was going to be around £15500 with no discounts.

Cheers

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

if you get a 182 enjoy the long and suffering joys that is continous warranty work that never gets sorted.... im waiting on a new wiring loom for mine... has to be shipped in from france... theyve had the car since LAST Saturday....

beware!!!!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

yes i agree whole heartedly... there is a constant stream of niggly faults and some rather worrying ones aswell

although i cannot wait to get mine back!! fingers crossed.

Quote: Originally posted by jaegerg2 on 17 March 2005

Well thanks for all your great comments and the warm welcome. There is clearly a number of differing views on the subject and I suppose I need to either bite the bullet and buy one or just go back to Ford land when I can next aFord it again.

Will keep you posted on the decision - I still cant help but wonder about the 200bhp Clio. When I spoke to my dealer he said around half had already been reserved and that the price was going to be around £15500 with no discounts.

Cheers

i thought the clio trophy wasnt even happening yet, and if it was going ahead we were assured that the engine would stay at 182, this from jeremy

Quote: Originally posted by seb182 on 17 March 2005

yes i agree whole heartedly... there is a constant stream of niggly faults and some rather worrying ones aswell

although i cannot wait to get mine back!! fingers crossed.
i do like it but wouldnt miss it for a second if i got a new car, and that just not like me

quote from jeremy townsend

"

Sorry, been away. We are looking at a new version for the end of production, however the discussions are still ongoing as to a specification and to whether the version would actually go ahead at all. However, what it will definitely not have, if it was to be agreed, is any increase in power."

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

itll make a change from the diesel astra rent a van renault supplied for me...