ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how good are clio 197s

Clio 172 phase 2
hello. Ive been lookin at a few Clio 197 F1 R27s and was wonderin what people who owned them thought of them. ive got a 172 at the minute. cheers. :D

Andy

DB.

BMW 440i
Newer/More modern cars.

A step up IMO due to the fact its a newer build and nicer looking car.

Just have a look at the 182/197 thread for all the arguments!

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
nice looking than the 182/172 and i think they are better built and have alot more road presence, buy my 200 on the other hand, what a peice of shite rofl

Barge
Good cars, nice. 20k miles onwards sees a lot better fuel economy. They are built better, bigger, feel a lot safer than its predecessors. Having had a Dynashed, then an R27, and now back to a 182, I can safely say the R27 did feel better - but more than likely because it was newer.

They're a good car - but the certainly aren't without their faults. If you are looking for an R27, try and find a late on, 08 plate if possible (there are a couple around) or a very late 57 plate so at least you've got some warranty with it if things aren't quite right with it.

Black Ph2 172
Very nice cars - Although you get much less STD equipment and they r no faster than a 1x2 and are far worse on fuel! I'd get a meganne r26 if I was to spend that amount of money!

Barge
Far worse on fuel is actual bulls**t. I had an R27 and now a 182, I get the same mpg from the 182 as I did from my R27 (32mpg) - that is as a result of the journies I do. If I did a longer journey I'd see better economy from the 182. But on the motorway my R27 used to get 36mpg (it was on 23k when I sold it) -the same as what my 182 gets - and if I'm lucky the 182 might see a slight increase to 38.

It is by no means a vast difference on mpg that your 172/182 got, it is 100% down to individual travel circumstances.

If you get one, as said, try and get a later one on an 57/08 plate, so it has warranty. And certainly don't be put off if it has about 20+k on it. It'll be better on economy as it's broken in, so to speak.

Last edited:
  B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Slightly better than a 182, slightly better looking than a 182.........Worse than a 200 and not as good looking as a 200 (with speedlines) :eek:

Clio 1970000000
All depends what the person answering your question drives. Massive 1*2 vs 197 debates on here. They are the nuts btw.

Mini Cooper S
When did they start making the revised 197? With the gearbox changes etc..? Were there any other changes between an 08 and 56 plate?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I dont own one but iv driven one (Thank you Nashy <3) and i much prefer them over the 1*2's

The road presance they have is far better than the 1*2 imo, and they feel much better built, no annoying rattles etc and the interior is a much nicer place to be...

IMO ovc..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Having owned a 197 for a year now, and before that a 182 and before that a 172 I can give you a pretty good idea of what the differences are.

Less low down grunt than a 172/182 and you don't really get a kick at 4.5krpm, but side by side against a 172 cup (considered the fastest of the 1*2's) my 197 rapes it every time.

Handling wise, sorry 1*2 owners but the 197 is in a different league. I was almost scared to go into a corner in the 1*2 but the 197 inspires so much confidence !

Fuel economy IS worse, on my 172 and 182 I would average 32mpg.. on the 197 I get 28.5mpg

Looks wise the 197 is the best of them all over the entire range, especially in white ;)

Build quality in the 197 is in another world compared to the 1*2, Renault really have improved it massively (it's not a golf though ;))

There are a few common faults on the 197 but nothing like the 1*2's and I have yet to experience any of them other than a sticky gearbox when cold. Oh and they do have a tendancy to kangaroo when cold as well lol (switching the traction control off sorts it though for some reason heh)

Overall the 197 is the best Clio out of them all, I would have no hesitation in buying one again.

Deffinately a step up from a 172 !! and don't you DARE get a 197 without Recaro's !!

Leon Cupra 300
If i was buying one it would have to have the later gearbox with taller ratios. when did this come in?

MCS R56
Having owned a 197 for a year now, and before that a 182 and before that a 172 I can give you a pretty good idea of what the differences are.

Less low down grunt than a 172/182 and you don't really get a kick at 4.5krpm, but side by side against a 172 cup (considered the fastest of the 1*2's) my 197 rapes it every time.

Handling wise, sorry 1*2 owners but the 197 is in a different league. I was almost scared to go into a corner in the 1*2 but the 197 inspires so much confidence !

Fuel economy IS worse, on my 172 and 182 I would average 32mpg.. on the 197 I get 28.5mpg

Looks wise the 197 is the best of them all over the entire range, especially in white ;)

Build quality in the 197 is in another world compared to the 1*2, Renault really have improved it massively (it's not a golf though ;))

There are a few common faults on the 197 but nothing like the 1*2's and I have yet to experience any of them other than a sticky gearbox when cold. Oh and they do have a tendancy to kangaroo when cold as well lol (switching the traction control off sorts it though for some reason heh)

Overall the 197 is the best Clio out of them all, I would have no hesitation in buying one again.

Deffinately a step up from a 172 !! and don't you DARE get a 197 without Recaro's !!

Good write up but I fail to see how this is possible. They are both the same, performance wise. Unless by "raping" you mean a baw hair?

They are the best looking Clios and have massive road presence! Mind you, they are quite large now.

ST

Couldn't have put it any better myself, tho await the tears and disagreement from the '1*2' drivers.

Under braking the 197 is so much more stable too.

ST
Good write up but I fail to see how this is possible. They are both the same, performance wise. Unless by "raping" you mean a baw hair?

They are the best looking Clios and have massive road presence! Mind you, they are quite large now.

So Gaz, have you actually owned a Clio of any variety or have you owned the mighty Cupra tdAYE since the beginning of time?

It seems any time, anyone puts up a good word about any of the RS Clio's you challenge it, is it a jealousy thing or do you like to disagree to be 'different'?

MCS R56
So Gaz, have you actually owned a Clio of any variety or have you owned the mighty Cupra tdAYE since the beginning of time?

It seems any time, anyone puts up a good word about any of the RS Clio's you challenge it, is it a jealousy thing or do you like to disagree to be 'different'?

Yes.

As you can see from my comment, I liked the comments the dude made about the 197, other than the performance comment.

Have you actually owned a Clio, or have you just driven around in your girly BMW since the beginning of time?

Nissan 350z
I had a 197, and a 172 cup, and have looked round a 182, I don't think I'd want an older clio that much purely because the interior is so cheap and nasty. There is little in them performance wise, but the 197 is more refined, and I guess maybe not so fun because of that?

Peddled device
We all read a lot about the 197 having no low down 'pull' and no 'kick' higher up but what upgrades sort these issues out and for how much?

197 looks huge next to a 182 but after thinking they were a mess at first l have to say they have a lot to look at...and l do like them now.

Yes.

As you can see from my comment, I liked the comments the dude made about the 197, other than the performance comment.

Have you actually owned a Clio, or have you just driven around in your girly BMW since the beginning of time?
lol, hes owned a 182 and r27...

to add input, this is my opinion from when i drove one... was an 07 plate
anyway, i test drove this today and tbf it was pretty poor, maybe my expectations were too high, i expected to get pushed back into my seat but didnt feel any of this which was dissappointing, it drove as if i was skipping gears... 3rd from 2nd felt like 2nd to 5th and had a sort of juddering movement... at first i thought my driving and so did the salesman then he actually realised it was a fault with the car, a problem so apparent he actually asked me to turn around and end the drive.

this has now got me thinking that even if i do get a decent 197 then what are the odds of this sort of thing happening to it? and how much it would cost to sort if it occured upon the warranty expiring.
In conclusion, if money provides id go with what needster said and try to find one with warranty. I recommend a thorough test drive, as it was pretty evident i set my expectations too high which left me pretty dissappointed.

Clio 1970000000
My 197 pulls well from about 3k rpm. There is a flat spot at around 2.5k rpm which is well known.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
my 197 was awesome. it was owned by a hero, so thus it was a hero by default.

kicked the s**t out of the old smeg chariot the 182. vastly superior car in every way. no discussion needed tbh.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
seb said:

kicked the s**t out of the old smeg chariot the 182. vastly superior car in every way. no discussion needed tbh.
182's are for gays. Rather a 206.

Clio 1970000000

I heard that it is owned by another hero now ;)

Golf 7R
I've owned a 172 Cup and a 197; There is no way a 197 would rape a 172 Cup in any circumstances other than looks ( which divides opinion ) and maybe braking!

Would i have a 172 Cup over one though ..... no!