ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How high do I have to lift the engine to replace the sump?

Hilux

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup F1
Hi all,

I recently acquired a Mark Fish Motorsport 182 and found it has a hairline crack in the sump. I have researched and understand that if the engine is lifted high enough [by removing the o/s mount] the sump can be wiggled out without dropping the subframe. I have lifted it about 40mm but not sure to go further. I have seen suggestions on here that it needs to lift some 100mm [4"] but am concerned that it will damage other parts in lifting it that high. I have released the dogbone but for example the gearbox mount is a concern as its a lot of movement for it [expensive aftermarket uprated mounts] and not sure if other parts/pipes/exhaust will take that amount of movement without damage. Am I worrying needlessly and simply lift it or are there other parts to release and its a better option to go down the route of dropping the sub-frame [I'm also mindful that the sub-frame bolts wont undo]? PS: all the sump bolts came out without damage :)

172 Ph1
I would personally remove the dog bone mount & o/s driveshaft as those off can give the engine a lot more lift without any worry of damage to anything .
The main area you need clearance is around the oil pump sprocket , so with more clearance it’ll be so much easier than struggling with limited movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilux

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup F1
I decided to go down the 'lower the sub-frame' route as this meant I would tackle the issue and get as many bolts undone as I could while under the car and make it easier for when I strip back the car for a refurb next winter. I managed to get all the sub-frame bolts out - offside front came undone with a bit of soaking in penetrating fluid for a couple of days, two rears had been replaced so spun out easily but the nearside front required the spring clip to be popped out [in bits] and got a socket on it. Cant believe that they would allow a 'vital' nut to sit in an open space in a hollow with muck/water/salt/stones etc thrown up by the wheels filling it up!!! Would have thought a blanking cap would have been fitted to the opening.

Anyway, decided today not to progress further as I cannot fathom out how to remove the steering rack easily from the subframe. There are two lower bolts accessed via holes in the sub-frame that clamp the lower rack mount clips - they came out no problem. Then there are two top through bolts that hold the steering rack mounts to the subframe but the nearside one I cannot figure out how to get anything on it to undo it knowing it wont come out anyway due to close proximity to the firewall. The top two engine facing rack mount clip bolt nuts will undo but if the bolts slip back out of their captive shoulders on the mount [with the nuts off] there's no way I can get them back in. Am I missing something obvious as threads on here suggest its not a big issue to drop the sub-frame. Am I wrong and the rack if attached will allow the subframe to drop [a bit] on the offside or am I being a big girls blouse???

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I decided to go down the 'lower the sub-frame' route as this meant I would tackle the issue and get as many bolts undone as I could while under the car and make it easier for when I strip back the car for a refurb next winter. I managed to get all the sub-frame bolts out - offside front came undone with a bit of soaking in penetrating fluid for a couple of days, two rears had been replaced so spun out easily but the nearside front required the spring clip to be popped out [in bits] and got a socket on it. Cant believe that they would allow a 'vital' nut to sit in an open space in a hollow with muck/water/salt/stones etc thrown up by the wheels filling it up!!! Would have thought a blanking cap would have been fitted to the opening.

Anyway, decided today not to progress further as I cannot fathom out how to remove the steering rack easily from the subframe. There are two lower bolts accessed via holes in the sub-frame that clamp the lower rack mount clips - they came out no problem. Then there are two top through bolts that hold the steering rack mounts to the subframe but the nearside one I cannot figure out how to get anything on it to undo it knowing it wont come out anyway due to close proximity to the firewall. The top two engine facing rack mount clip bolt nuts will undo but if the bolts slip back out of their captive shoulders on the mount [with the nuts off] there's no way I can get them back in. Am I missing something obvious as threads on here suggest its not a big issue to drop the sub-frame. Am I wrong and the rack if attached will allow the subframe to drop [a bit] on the offside or am I being a big girls blouse???
Just remove the singular bolt on the steering rack/column shaft uj. It's hidden under the boot.