ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long to warm up 172?

My car does not get used regularly (short runs) and is quite new to me, Lately i noticed that it seemed tamer than usual and also not as much exhaust induction noise. Had a decent drive out today and on the way home it suddenly seemed like it did when i bought it like it had warmed up etc but i had been out in it may 30 - 40 mins before i noticed the change? (Had just had a spirited blast too)

Felt noisier and more responsive which i pressume happens when they are warm but how long does it take to warm up properly?

M@C

Clio 172 Cup
Mine takes about 10 min's tops for the needle to sit in the centre of the dial. :S

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
the needle display is only water temp its the oil temp that matters before you put your foot down

big boost cup
Its not the water temp thats the most important its the oil i drive normal for around 10 15 miles before abusing it

Ph 1 172
Mine takes about 10 min's tops for the needle to sit in the centre of the dial. :S

That's not the correct temp to follow if I remember rightly (if your talking about the dial in the middle of the dash) that's not oil temp, that takes a good 30mins steady driving to warm up although I have never noticed a difference I just drive how I want to drive and keep it well serviced

Strange i could tell the difference by the exhaust note, Maybe another problem then as it took quite a while and made a noticeable difference

275 Trophy
It'll warm up quicker if you thrash it from cold, obviously. Mine never gets that treatment so takes around 15 before i'll go above 3k revs. Not sure if it's just mine but the dampers (standard) seem to take a bit of time to settle. They're far more 'crashy' when cold.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Mine (200) takes 10 mins for the oil temp to reach over 80C. Read from the RS monitor.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
1*2's should have come with an oil temp reading. FFS, even the valvers/williams had it

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
God I'm home in 8 mins - mine can't have been warm for months! :)

Mariusz

ClioSport Club Member
  Silver 182 FF
Good question, how easy would it be to fit an oil temp?

+1 would like to know the answer to this, journey to work is only 10 miles and only take 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic so it would be nice to know when its safe to have a play :)

HBT 172 Cup
Most people would suggest using a sump plug adaptor but classically on the F4's they point straight downwards and are not rear facing like F7's, so its a little dangerous if something knocked it off youd lose your sump full of oil and potentially nuke your engine.

Other option would be a oil filter sandwhich plate with an electrical sender, but they tend to be cheapie cheerful leaky solutions.

Im looking to have a spare sump drilled and tapped at the rear for a mechanical sender.