ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long you had your 172 Cup?

172 Cup, Caterham R300
Hi There

I've had my Cup from new since October 2002 and I still enjoy driving it. Thought about swapping it for the 197, test drove it, think I'll wait 'til they Cup it until I go for another drive.

Anybody else had their 172 Cup from new and still enjoy driving it?

I've been looking at some posts on here and people keep mentioning ff ? What's that all about?

Cheers

Neil.P

Leon Cupra R 225
ff is full fat mate. air con, abs, alcantara seats etc... more luxurious but not as track/hardcore as the cup imo

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Got mine in April 2004 (4,700 on the clock).

Still loving it.

The FF..is full fat (ie the 172 with everything in)...extra weight. ;)

Just don't go opening that there can of worms! :quiet: ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
dec 2004, love it, the sl*g!!!!

dont know what to replace it with lol!

172 Cup, Caterham R300
Oh I see donny, I'll keep my trap shut on that front then :) . Yeah gaz I can't think of anything else to replace it with!

I've done 29000 miles in it now and pretty much trouble free apart from getting it through the MOT's, where's the 'totally pi$$ed off smiley' :)

Neil.P

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Aye, a 182 is a side step......just a newer version of what we have lol, a CTR...? hmmmm wasnt that impressed tbh!

;) i bought mine from new 3 yrs ago ....still smiling , when you get bored do a few mods to keep the fire burning

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
29k? Lightweight ;)

Got mine December 2003, just approaching 80k miles now, it'll get retired from its daily commute by the end of this year, and turned into a proper track weapon.

I get withdrawal symptoms if I can't drive it regularly enough. Take today; my wife had to work, but didn't take the child seat out of her car before she left, so I've been stuck at home all day, unable to drive anywhere.

Pi$$ed off doesn't even come close...it's only the Airfield day tomorrow that's capable of easing the pain :D

172 Cup, Caterham R300
Oh dear, 29K is a bit slack is'nt it. Took mine on track once at Bedford, spent most of the time facing the wrong way. LoL

Interesting to see that all you owners have had their cars around or over 3 years and your all smiling.

Mark, you track your Cup much?

Neil.P

172 Cup, Caterham R300
Hi Alex, another owner from new :) Nice one!

How do you get more smilies up on here? I'm a sucker for a smilie :)

Neil.P

GT, Valver, BMW
had mine from new with 33 miles on the clock jan 04 now got 19k on it which i no is low but got a valver to run around in and use for work.

sometimes love driving the valver more than the cup.:D

172 Cup, Caterham R300
OK found the smilies cheers :lolup:

Nice one Mark, I'll check out your clicky in a minute. Hey have a look at Jay with only 19K on the clock :nono: :cool:

Neil.P

172 Cup, Caterham R300
Sh!t, that looked a bit scary. Have you got standard shocks etc on it still Mark?

Neil.P

Had mine since June - so I'm a relative newb I guess. Well lived up to my expectations

Love it more every day! :eek:

When I do eventually get rid it'll be replaced by a Caterfield plus daily runabout hopefully

EDIT: Just noticed you have a R300 Neil, top man! Was a ride in one of those that got me hooked - gotta have one now

Last edited:
  172 Cup, Caterham R300
Baldy, that's why I've only done 29K, the Clio's had any easy life. The Cat get's all the stick :evil: :race:

Neil.P

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They are there to be driven hard, they take the stick well imo :evil:

Baldy, that's why I've only done 29K, the Clio's had any easy life. The Cat get's all the stick :evil: :race:

Neil.P

So is the Cup your 'runabout'? Which did you have first, Cat or Cup?

Hmmm...maybe the Cup need'nt make way for something 'sensible' after all

172 Cup, Caterham R300
Hi Baldy,

I got the Cup in 2002, Cat in 2004.
Yeah, both great fun to drive. Can't fault them really.

Thought I'd be fed up with the clio by now but it really is a capable little car!
Got taken round Donnington in a Trophy and that was something else too!

Cheers
Neil.P

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
mine is still on original shocks, and engine mounts, (bar dogbone). Need to fix up and change the gearbox oil, was planning too this weekend, but spent money on a new shower base, as water was pooring from the ceiling :( also need to do my gearbox engine mount as thats warn quite a lot. that'll be next month now, depending on what PS3 games are out :) :) :) and if my pre-oder is ok :) :) :)

Had mine 2 weeks, lovin it loads:S , oh but the alternator went the second day of owernership! Glad i haggled renault for that 12 month warrantee:D . loves a bit of stick too, got 51K on clock, so gotta b carefull. (I guess:evil: )

172 Cup, Caterham R300
Hi Steve, think your our newest owner on the thread. Yeah good job you got that warranty sorted. Enjoy!

Cheers
Neil.P

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Sh!t, that looked a bit scary. Have you got standard shocks etc on it still Mark?

Neil.P

Yeah, I was clenched up all the way through that :eek: - but that's what happens when I chase after people like you in Caterhams. I learnt from it though so it was a worthwhile experience LOL

Standard springs, standard dampers from new; I'm on my second set now.

Do you track the R300?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
Hi Jimbo :D, Alex do you go on track with yours?

Neil.P

No, don't have time for that :( i just trackday on roads :) loves to slide around roundabouts.

Today used it for visiting the local tip. boot filled up with the old kitchen sides and the old bathroom tiles and shower base. Now needs a hoover from all the manky kitchen dirt and broken tiles :dead:

172 Cup, Caterham R300
Alex, no wonder you don't get round to getting on track, what with the Shower, going to the tip, hoovering, Playstations and what-not. Keep up the good work :approve:

Mark, I s'pose I do about 5 trackdays a year. Bloody good fun aren't they :D

How many do you get along too Mark? I have'nt done Goodwood actually. I've heard a few horror stories from there, some fatalities actually :(

Neil.P

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Alex, no wonder you don't get round to getting on track, what with the Shower, going to the tip, hoovering, Playstations and what-not. Keep up the good work :approve:

Mark, I s'pose I do about 5 trackdays a year. Bloody good fun aren't they :D

How many do you get along too Mark? I have'nt done Goodwood actually. I've heard a few horror stories from there, some fatalities actually :(

Neil.P

I try to squeeze in 10 or so per year...going to struggle this year I think though.

Goodwood's fine...just very fast with not too much run-off. They resurfaced the entire loop 18 months ago and in dry warm weather on track rubber the grip is immense. That's the only time when I've found standard suspension lacking.

You should get yourself down...Easytrack are doing a couple of summer days I think at good prices too. I'd be happy to show you around, ignore my line around St. Mary's though ;)

172 Cup, Caterham R300
Hi Pepperami :D

Mark, what date you doing at Goodwood in the Summer, might take you up on that offer, thanks.
Yeah, I did find a tiny bit of body-roll in the Cup when I did Bedford, but then again I think I was going a little bit silly in places :eek:

You thought about uprating the springs/shocks Mark? (not that there's much wrong with the standard ones obviously) :quiet:

Neil.P

S-Max
Had mine since June last year and still love. Had 34,500 on clock and I've only added 8,500 so 43k has just passed the clock...