ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How Many..

Mental 172 Cup
How many turbo Clios are actually out there now? Obviously I'm talking F4R and F4RT conversions.. There seem to be a fair few threads popping up on here and on Facebook pages of different traders. With some very interesting figures..

Just wondering who has one now a days and how much do they all differ?

So who's got one and what's your spec?

Luke

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Common as muck now the old boosted clios, time to up the ante and twin-charge :)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Theres a handful of boosted 197s and 200s over on 197/200.net.

FMP = 225 Lump
Litchy = 250 Lump
Jonesy = 225 Lump
MikeLYR27 = Jamsport Supercharger
Mark (Not sure on Username) = 225 Lump
Shakey_hand_man = 225 Lump

Mental 172 Cup
There are quite a lot that I see on Facebook that aren't on the forum. Good thing is they have all produced different figures, so be good to compare spec to see the differences..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No one would buy the RS Megs then though.

The Meg's should have been 300bhp to compete with bigger stuff like the FRS, Golf R etc.

The twingo 133 was the insurance friendly Renault Effort. The 200 should have been the 250 and the 250 should have been the 300.

IMO of course.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Would love a 225 lump in a 200 tbh

250 lump in a 200 FTW.

Thats the long term plan for our AG. First guy to have the 250 lump put in a 197/200 has just got it back from the garage and is running it for a week or 2 to check everything over on standard power. Then he's going for a remap so should see close to 300bhp.

The only problem with running the 250 lump is that the 250 gearbox doesnt fit. Gotta use the 225 box, driveshafts etc etc. So its a bit of a Frankenstein on a few different cars.

big boost cup
What internals, other mods do you have? I think you came to the rolling road day at k-tec didn't you?

That was me at the RR day
its got
JE pistons
CAT rods
Rebored block
Fully balanced crank, pistons, rods
CAT 428 Cams
630cc Injectors
Uprated Valve Springs
Cometic MLS Head Gasket .070 for 83mm bore CR (9.5:1)
Total Seal Rings (conventional)
2.5 Bar Map Sensor
Vag 6speed box with paddle clutch

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The 197 was market predicted/assumed.

It ultimatley 'had' to have a higher performance output and a bigger/taller stance.

In that case - it served its market purpose??

Mental 172 Cup
250 lump in a 200 FTW.

Thats the long term plan for our AG. First guy to have the 250 lump put in a 197/200 has just got it back from the garage and is running it for a week or 2 to check everything over on standard power. Then he's going for a remap so should see close to 300bhp.

The only problem with running the 250 lump is that the 250 gearbox doesnt fit. Gotta use the 225 box, driveshafts etc etc. So its a bit of a Frankenstein on a few different cars.

That sounds awesome. Is there much modification to the box or does it fit straight on?

Mental 172 Cup
The 197 was market predicted/assumed.

It ultimatley 'had' to have a higher performance output and a bigger/taller stance.

In that case - it served its market purpose??

I would say yes and no.

It was definatly a bigger car and slightly better build, more aesthetically pleasing. More power on paper. Sacrificed all of that for terrible fuel consumption. I think it did do well though.

182trophy & Williams
The Meg's should have been 300bhp to compete with bigger stuff like the FRS, Golf R etc.

The twingo 133 was the insurance friendly Renault Effort. The 200 should have been the 250 and the 250 should have been the 300.

IMO of course.

I agree with you there mate! would have livened up the range. I think they would have destroyed the opposition compared to renaults always being underpowered but still being quicker round tacks etc because of the chassis/suspension setup etc.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Renault are sort of missing a trick with it tbh, as the renaultsport chassis across the range are very very good and capable of handling a bit more power than they come with :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dont know current power of mine, its a 172 bottom end with a 197 head, made 258bhp on low boost is the only time it has been on the rollers, will put it back on after its winter engine freshen up.

TBH, for trackdays which is what interests me, I cant really see a huge amount of point in going much past 300bhp the percentage of the track you can use the extra power on is small enough to make it seem like relatively poor value to be spending fortunes on and the gearboxes arent strong either.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
agreed, the drivetrains are these cars are the weakest link, but that's sort of bye the bye for this conversation, the point I'm making is the chassis' are far more capable than the powerplants bely. that's kind of the crux of your entire mark 1 project el chippio, find a good drivetrain to bolt a high output motor to and rock some giggles. I know you say 250 odd isn't much power, but again that misses the point that the little, 20 year old design, French chassis will still be handling roughly double power, and handling it well ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I agree mate, one of my previous trackday cars was a nova turbo, that was the opposite TBH, the handling took a lot of work just to get to nearly as good as the clios are with only very basic mods, but on the other hand the engine and box were easily got to 400bhp+ reliably.

I personally think the sweetspot in a clio mk1/2 is around the 300bhp mark, and probably 400 in a mk3