ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much are prepared to spend on modifications?

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Curious really as its mostly clio owners that have joined the leda suspension group buy, none of the other forums are willing to lay down so much cash. Are us clio owners a bit crazy as when you think about it a grand is alot of money to spend on just suspension.

So i started to ponder the question; how much are you prepared to spend on your clio? Is a grand on suspension unreasonable or fairly acceptable?

Lets face it (and i know first hand) these engines are exacly cost effective with regards to tuning.....how much are you willing to spend on engine mods and how many of you have gone further than the usual filter and exhaust route?

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
haha, we know you're a nutter Fred mate lol. Now hurry up and get Andy to drop the 225 engine in the beast!!

if i had the money to spend, probably looking at £15k for what i want to do, just havent got that kind of money... yet!

Good question.

I think providing you are willing to keep the car for a long time then probably up to 6k.

If you think about the intial cost of 12k approx brand new and you spend 6k for example on performance mods. 1k susp, 3.5k engine then 1.5k seats brakes etc. you will have a very serious car indeed. Which would out perform cars that cost much much more. I think 99.99% of people buy them because there fast and affordable so these people are obviously driven to make them faster (and less affordable??).

I have had hot hatches in the past but they have been older then the clio and I was younger so it did not seem worth it and I wouldnt have been able to afford it. My reason is it is a new car that is worth modifying and I can afford the insurance now I am older. Although I have always been interested in making cars I have owned faster this car seems worthy of the cash.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've had my clio a month or so and have spent £500+ already.

Its getting booked in for cams next.

then theres buckets and a cage......oh god i dont want to be thinking about money.....

Megane225FF
I started out with the classic phrase "I'm not going to modify this one" ... that was £1500 ago... I'd like to think I've stopped, but I cant see it really...

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
I spent £10,000 on one of clios and over £1500 on my last car in 5/6 months....I can see myself spending £2000 on my new car before the year is out.

Gary G said:
Curious really as its mostly clio owners that have joined the leda suspension group buy, none of the other forums are willing to lay down so much cash. Are us clio owners a bit crazy as when you think about it a grand is alot of money to spend on just suspension.

So i started to ponder the question; how much are you prepared to spend on your clio? Is a grand on suspension unreasonable or fairly acceptable?

Lets face it (and i know first hand) these engines are exacly cost effective with regards to tuning.....how much are you willing to spend on engine mods and how many of you have gone further than the usual filter and exhaust route?
I think the big thing is the Leda setup is famously been one of the best setups but being £1.3k has put so many people off regadless of how good it is. However the group buy has got the price down by a fair margin so people are willing to pay the 400 extra for it over gaz coilovers whereas they were looking at £800 before. I think £1k is fie to spend on suspension its more important to have a good handling car than a car with 10~20hp more IMO.
I'm not willing to spend a fortune on my cars I'd rarther be on a race track tracking a slower car than upgrading my car.
I've yet to spend a forutne on engine modification the car I bought already was tunned.

1998 BMW e46 323i
I'm prepared to spend eff all.

Keeping my full fat mkII 172 off the pages of MAX Power is priceless!

i'm still toying with replacing the 17" drugdealer wheels the car came with (a lot of people have told me they love the wheels) for the original 16" rims. But can't be bothered, and they aren't cheap; even on ebay, unless anyone has a set they wanna sell or swap for my 17s...

Keep it stealthy I say.

What's better than having a fast car that looks like; well is a girl's car? part of the charm.

john.med you do not have to go the Max power route to modify a car.

Lowering it, maybe different wheels but 16" something light weight, would be the only external mods made.

You can modify your car to increase performance without affecting the original look of the car (which I agree with you subtle is best).

Definately get rid of the "drug dealer" wheels though.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I bought my 172 in April and have spend upwards of £2k on it.

From this...
DSC01068.jpg

To this today!...
e491c214.jpg

182 Cup/GT3/RS4/Mini!
I have a real bad history with regards to spending money modifying cars and have now joined the leda group buy too!! - I bought the clio with the intention of it being a gap filler as there was nothing else that interested me at the time but it's turned out to be a keeper as it's a hoot. I still have this though - don't even ask what it's cost me on mods over the last 5 years!!!
IMGP0055.jpg

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
John, spend enough time on here and you'll realise that not many of us are into the max poo scene. I've spent a small fortune on mine....hardly subtle but no body mods as such, unless you count modifying arches ;-)

pugwash.....that looks sweet mate :-D

Mark...the group buy will definately make 10 people, i can guarantee it ;-)

182 Cup/GT3/RS4/Mini!
550bhp 508lbft sweet but was too expensive to use on track days - thats where the clio fits in nicely! Plus I want to keep the miles off the audi!

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
^nice, spent a few k on mine too this year but its a choice of a new motor or upgrade your existing one eh, its bin like a pack of pringles once i started i couldnt stop, Andy is on the final mapping now i hope, should be the same as having a new car anyway, new rims on the way too, clio owners crazy pfft

bout £50

front grill was broken so replaced it with mesh (£57 quid for a new one from Reno, I don't think) and the rest spent on paint doing trim changes.

Have 3 children so money goes on that

/Mad

I spent about 700quid on all my suspension. Including fitting and setting up.

Probably spent 8K on mods, got receipts for over 9K for the car.....