ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much do you pay for Sky/Virgin?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
The Virgin Ultimate Oomph bundle is worth a look if you want everything, we had a basic package with sky sports and bt sport added on and it ended up being the same price to switch to ultimate oomph after our introductory discount ran out.
Its £99 for 500mb fibre, every tv channel they have inc BT sport, sky sports HD, sky cinema hd, anytime landline, 2 V6 boxes and an unlimited data sim

Considering you get an unlimited SIM included that saves ~£20 if you already have a sim only plan on your mobile that you can cancel
and 500mb internet is silky smooth

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
The Virgin Ultimate Oomph bundle is worth a look if you want everything, we had a basic package with sky sports and bt sport added on and it ended up being the same price to switch to ultimate oomph after our introductory discount ran out.
Its £99 for 500mb fibre, every tv channel they have inc BT sport, sky sports HD, sky cinema hd, anytime landline, 2 V6 boxes and an unlimited data sim

Considering you get an unlimited SIM included that saves ~£20 if you already have a sim only plan on your mobile that you can cancel
and 500mb internet is silky smooth

Yeah ours was on the black friday deal last year so hoping they do a decent discount again this year but if not will look at this. Do they use EE for their service?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Yeah ours was on the black friday deal last year so hoping they do a decent discount again this year but if not will look at this. Do they use EE for their service?
Yeh, simply said we were leaving because Sky offered Sky Sports cheaper and they offered basically any of the 'new customer' deals we wanted.

Yeh, Virgin Mobile uses EE although no word yet on when that will be extended to include EE 5G

Clio 172 Cup
I had a discount as worked for virgin trains got all the channels and broadband ect a tivo box in the bedroom and loads of add ons that Mrs watches and nothing to benefit me and I pay for it about 80 ish a month I want to cancel the lot but been told as I am not home I am being cruel ?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
All fitted and internet is rapid.

If any new customers want £50 off/credit, let me know ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Just cancelled my virgin media before the 12 month period is up & prices go astronomical. Mrs is opening a new account in her name starting the day it expires for another year of half decent prices. Worth doing, if you can endure the pain of being on the phone for ages to cancel.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
We have Hyperoptic - providing access for Amazon Prime and Netflix. Currently on their 150MBPS package at £27.99, but pay the optional £5 on top per month for the static external IP. Stable, quick performance.

Could go for the 1GBPS package - but its not worth it for my needs.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Hyper optic is gfast technically isn't it.

Still not in the area either. Lucky that I got fibre, bt apparently didn't want to put it into the estate as it wasn't seen as required. 1mbit was annoying for two years.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hyper optic is gfast technically isn't it.

Still not in the area either. Lucky that I got fibre, bt apparently didn't want to put it into the estate as it wasn't seen as required. 1mbit was annoying for two years.
Yeah - it will just be another provider sat on someone else's platform. They seem to specialize in large concentration areas - such as apartment buildings and inner city developments.

Had it for about four months so far and it's been great.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Virgin Full House TV (XL)
200mb Internet
Talk more phone line which we don't use.
1 X V6 box

£84/Month

245+ Channels apparently probably use about 5 ?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
200mb Internet
1 X V6 box

£84/Month

Downgrade to the mix package. I was the same as you - the more channels you have the less you watch.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I think Virgin Media have some kind of exclusivity deal on the fibre in our building because no one else can offer anything other than ADSL speeds, slightly annoying considering the flats opposite have just got HyperOptic.
Not complaining as the speed isn't too bad but would be nice to have other options.
Capture.PNG

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I think Virgin Media have some kind of exclusivity deal on the fibre in our building because no one else can offer anything other than ADSL speeds, slightly annoying considering the flats opposite have just got HyperOptic.
Not complaining as the speed isn't too bad but would be nice to have other options.

If they are that close to your building already mate - good chance that they will be with your soon. How does the Virgin fibre stuff work? Is it still a copper wire to your own apartment?

It's one of the things that I really liked about Hyperoptic, that the CAT5 ran into our apartment and straight into the router. The installation was split between two ends of the building into separate comms cabs. There's 72 apartments in our building, so I guess they flood-wired it via two 48-port switches.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
If they are that close to your building already mate - good chance that they will be with your soon. How does the Virgin fibre stuff work? Is it still a copper wire to your own apartment?

It's one of the things that I really liked about Hyperoptic, that the CAT5 ran into our apartment and straight into the router. The installation was split between two ends of the building into separate comms cabs. There's 72 apartments in our building, so I guess they flood-wired it via two 48-port switches.
Finger crossed!
Ideally i'd take internet with them and TV with Sky to get UHD sports channels.
IIRC Virgin is fibre to the premise then broken down to copper to each flat.

Clio
Didn't know where to tick this but Virgin have truly pissed me off.... what do you think they'll do for my complaint? Surely it needs to be honoured?
Hi Catherine,

I have been passed your email address by your colleague Emma to help in following problem I have had with my order.
I've been a Virgin customer for as long as I can remember and have never seen anything like this before! Please let me explain.....

As you can see from the order below I opted to upgrade from my outdated Tivo box to the new fangled V6 box. As you can see, the activation fee was agreed, and engineer visit costed with two agreed dates for him to attend.

The first date came and passed and noone attended but I thought hey ho! I did pick two dates so I'll cancel my work for Monday morning as I did agree to two dates, so Monday morning I'm sat at home and again the time comes and goes and noone appears. This time I'm a little more annoyed but again, these things happen.

This is where I go from a little more annoyed to slightly angry (I don't do very angry because its bad for blood pressure).

I spoke to one of your colleagues in your call centres and was told that my order had been cancelled! I received no notification of this and she said it was some price mismatch or similar. I stated again that these things happen and I was happy for another engineer appointment to be made and no harm was really done.

At this point your colleague stated that if I wanted to make the engineer appointment to install the new fangled V6 box I would need to now pay £125 for the honour! I tried explaining that I had already placed an order and had confirmation and booked an appointment to have it fitted etc etc but with no luck.
At this point I thought *&^% the blood pressure and became very angry, for the fact that I had made an order had no response that it had been cancelled and no explanation why it had been cancelled apart from a price mismatch that she couldn't really explain what it was, no apology that I had sat in all Saturday morning waiting for an engineer (it was raining so hasn't affected my tan) and no apology that I took a days holiday from work to wait for an engineer who was never coming (not that bad as who likes work anyway).

Anyway, I spoke to Emma who wasn't sure what to say and kindly gave me your email address.

Quite simply, all I am asking is you honour the order below, let me have my new fangled V6 box at the agreed order price below (or free for a gesture of goodwill) and save me the hassle of being really petty and cancelling and moving to Sky because I've never really had any issues with Virgin before.

I hope you can understand the situation and how badly it has been handled (apart from Emma who did what she could).

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
Didn't know where to tick this but Virgin have truly pissed me off.... what do you think they'll do for my complaint? Surely it needs to be honoured?

Any update?

Keep going higher and higher and someone will just allow it.. happens with most companies.. just have to get to the right level.

Clio
Any update?

Keep going higher and higher and someone will just allow it.. happens with most companies.. just have to get to the right level.
Emailed the CEO in the end, got the usual response that he is a busy man but being passed on to someone in his team to look in to.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Think I'm going to go back to Sky again for 18 months.
BT has gone up quite in price by a bit and the internet is intermittent throughout the house.
The BT box is shocking too, lag city and when watching BT sport I'm guaranteed to have it drop out and go blocky.

Seen fibre of 69-73 mbps, Sky Q with Entertainment, Sports and Cinema with evening and weekend calls for £71pm with a one off fee of £30. Anywhere to get a better deal?

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Think I'm going to go back to Sky again for 18 months.
BT has gone up quite in price by a bit and the internet is intermittent throughout the house.
The BT box is shocking too, lag city and when watching BT sport I'm guaranteed to have it drop out and go blocky.

Seen fibre of 69-73 mbps, Sky Q with Entertainment, Sports and Cinema with evening and weekend calls for £71pm with a one off fee of £30. Anywhere to get a better deal?
Know someone who works for sky! 50% off no quibble.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
I don't know anyone who does. That's on their website which is a "discounted rate" but some people on here have silly cheap deals.
I did manage to get basic sky plus with only the minimal package for £13 pm when speaking with them. Due to the F&F deal, didn’t bother and ordered as much as possible!

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Virgin have given me a recurring £25pm discount because they can’t figure out how to do a credit check to setup the Virgin Mobile part of my package 😂 only been 3 months... clowns

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
I pay £70 for 50mb fibre sky q, hd, entertainment and another minibox. I've also got the box sets and Netflix included in that. Not even used the mini box in another room yet.

Then £60 a year for IPTV sport and films

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I pay £70 for 50mb fibre sky q, hd, entertainment and another minibox. I've also got the box sets and Netflix included in that. Not even used the mini box in another room yet.

Then £60 a year for IPTV sport and films

How goods the iptv?
Like my motorsport & footie?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I pay roughly £100 a month for BT 80meg connection and phone along with everything sky bar sports
2 terabyte box plus mini and multiroom

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
200mb Internet
1 X V6 box

£84/Month

Same as this but 100mb internet
£50 quid a month

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
All fitted and internet is rapid.

If any new customers want £50 off/credit, let me know ?

I'm looking to get soon as a new customer. Last time i had was about 3 years ago. My Sister has Sky Q and had a play about on it was quit good.

How does the discount work?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'm looking at the Sky Q on it's own no no broadband or call.

With the UHD Upgrade
Sky Movies
HD Pack
and possibly the Box Sets

There is only 1 TV in the house which will be for the main box, if i get a Mini Box upstairs will that work with a PC / Monitor? or does it have to be a tv rather than a monitor to work?

Also if i upgrade to the UHD do i still need to get the HD pack?

thanks

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Too much for something I don't watch! think im £90 or there abouts for a TiVo V6, 200Mb Broadband and a phoneline with no phone socket in the house lol

going to phone them tomorrow and go Internet only

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I have 100Mb, 2 TiVo boxes and phone that is frankly extortionate to use in the week for £85 dumping tv and phone and going broadband only next month.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I'm doing the same. I don't watch anything that isn't available on Freeview, and I see no benefit from 200meg fibre. 105 quid wasted every month

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
£40 here for 100mb. I cancelled Sky a LONG time ago and just use IPTV now via the firestick.