ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much does a brand new 172 cost

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Yes they are cars sourced from UK dealers to get the best price, they are 100% UK cars!

No they dont do part exchanges, not many of these guys will.

You could take the price into yer local Renault dealer and use it as a bargaining ploy, either that or find out where DTD get tham and phone the dealer!

What from a dealer, 14,600 OTR, but theyll knock a grand off straight away I suppose you may get them down to about 13,300 or there abouts!

So realistically if i walked in my Renault dealer tomorrow with a £5500 VTS and cash, what price could i get them down to?

You always are at a disadvantage if you have somethng to trade in, not sure how you would stand!

Ralphy, do you want to buy brand new?? You have the hassle of running them in and losing around £2k as soon as you drive out the garage. If i were you, id go for an ex-demonstrator or maybe a 172 with a few ks on the clock. With the money you save by doing this, is the money you have extra to do a few modifications with.

Quote: Originally posted by Tiger on 28 September 2003

Quote: Originally posted by 172gal on 28 September 2003

Yep the 172 is dearer.
how come? i would defo take a cup over a 172, wouldnt most people?
Why though? Cos it does 0.5 sec quicker to 60 or something crazy!! I could be wrong but i believe that the cup is lighter than the 172, same engine but it gets there that quicker because of its anorexic lol.

The cup doesnt have leather, climate control, xenons, abs etc.

Id always have the 172 over the cup, as i like my comforts :)

ICE'dberg MK2 172

What about Motorpoint/Tradesales and the like. Although they are sourced in Europe they are UK spec...apart from the lack of alarm, and you get 3years warranty.

Think the 172 still go for £11999 +RFL.

Quote: Originally posted by Tiger on 28 September 2003

Yep the 172 is dearer.
how come? i would defo take a cup over a 172, wouldnt most people?
Why though? Cos it does 0.5 sec quicker to 60 or something crazy!! I could be wrong but i believe that the cup is lighter than the 172, same engine but it gets there that quicker because of its anorexic lol.

The cup doesnt have leather, climate control, xenons, abs etc.

Id always have the 172 over the cup, as i like my comforts :)

suppose it all depends on what your after if you have to do miles to get to work etc the 172 is the choice but if most of your driving is for "fun" there is no comparison.

Focus ST3 + proper Mini

got my Mk2 172 from a renault dealer. No part ex. Got him down to £13k RRP is £14600.

Haggle with the finance rate as well. Mine started at 16.9% finished at 7% ( same as most high street banks)

ralphy, the official line is as follows, do you really want to believe the words of anyone who says that a renault (i.e. french) is a 100% UK car!!!. the cheapest place to buy a new sport 172 with ESP - if you order one now, you will probably get cruise control fitted is www.motorprovider.co.uk for 11850, full uk spec with 3 year full renault warrenty!! but no cat 1 alarm. all renaults are imports as they are built outside of the u.k., it all depends on what the official descrption of an import. people on this forum have bought imports from main dealers without knowing. the acide test seems to be where the car was first registered as stated on the VIN plate, my car from motor provider was first registered in sheffield england, so it is identical to a dealer car bar the alarm, which im going to fit anyway, so when I sell it, I will be selling it as if I bought it from a dealer. if there is another way of telling the difference I would be pleased to hear....

Thanks for all the replies people, very much appricated. I really dont know what to do! I just test drove a 172 Cup and loved it! But i want a 172 cos of the comforts. The saleman said its noticebly slower:(

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Ralphy_VTS on 29 September 2003

Thanks for all the replies people, very much appricated. I really dont know what to do! I just test drove a 172 Cup and loved it! But i want a 172 cos of the comforts. The saleman said its noticebly slower:(
trust me .2-.3 of a second ISNT noticable.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

better steering ? you mean better turn in .. woop I will adjust my toe in same result.

Throttle response ? same engine ? one fbw no real difference.

handling ? -3mm and alloys which add 10mm ?

VaVa

FAO Ralphy_172

http://www.new-car-discount.comwww.new-car-discount.com sell 172s for £12500 OTR. Uk cars etc etc.

Get a 172 if comfort(equipment levels) and safety are priorities. If your priorities are cost and performance then it has to be a Cup. Plus the Cups come in the nicest colour. IMHO.

I went for a 172 cos having leather, climate, xenons, spare wheel, abs, traction, headlamp washers, etc etc is important to me, and I wasnt bothered about the extra cost.

Leah172mk2 paid £12,000 for a brand new 172, proper uk spec from Arnold Clark In Glasgow, dealer agreed to meet the price of a local import centre

_KDF, beleive me mate the Cup is noticabley faster and has noticabley better throttle response!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Why do people assume that I havent drivin one ? I have ! and it picks up a bit quicker thats it... but it was barely noticable.

Ill try an be unbiased as possible as I have a MKII172.

There are loads of threads on the merits of both cars and at the end of the day the abilities of the car is down to the driver. So .2 of second here and .5 of a second there can easily be made up or lost depending on ability of the driver.

Cups can have air con but that comes as an option. Not to sure about ABS, but its not included as standard on the Cups. Cups have nicer alloys, but on the roads with "real world" environments, its doubtful that anyone will notice or even take advantage of the 3mm lower stiffer suspension with extra castor angle. Many standard 172 are lowered on aftermarket springs and alloys which which makes the suspension changes more of a marketing ploy unless you plan to keep everything standard on the Cup. So after adding eibach sprints, OZ SuperL, Magnex Catback, Viper and an ecu remap of your choice, the only thing going for the Cup has on a 172 is perhaps a nicer shade of blue paint.

There are loads of threads on the merits of both cars and at the end of the day the abilities of the car is down to the driver. So .2 of second here and .5 of a second there can easily be made up or lost depending on ability of the driver.

Cups can have air con but that comes as an option. Not to sure about ABS, but its not included as standard on the Cups. Cups have nicer alloys, but on the roads with "real world" environments, its doubtful that anyone will notice or even take advantage of the 3mm lower stiffer suspension with extra castor angle. Many standard 172 are lowered on aftermarket springs and alloys which which makes the suspension changes more of a marketing ploy unless you plan to keep everything standard on the Cup. So after adding eibach sprints, OZ SuperL, Magnex Catback, Viper and an ecu remap of your choice, the only thing going for the Cup has on a 172 is perhaps a nicer shade of blue paint.

The Cup is great if you compare standard with standard, but then how many 172s and Cups are completely standard, if not now in the future?

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 29 September 2003

Why do people assume that I havent drivin one ? I have ! and it picks up a bit quicker thats it... but it was barely noticable.
Well then my brothers Cup must be a freak then, thats the only one Ive driven!

I test drove the cup before i bought my 172. I was undecided which to go for. I can say that they were pretty much the same, i couldnt feel any difference....well except for the nice leather in the 172 ;)

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 29 September 2003

The Cup is great if you compare standard with standard, but then how many 172s and Cups are completely standard, if not now in the future?
Probably 99% of them are standard.

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 29 September 2003

Probably 99% of them are standard.
So if we say that the Clio Sport forum is a representitive sample of the population who own 172/Cups, Youre telling me that 99% of the people on here have not carried out any modifications to their 172/Cups?:confused: