ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much further can the iPhone go?

Clio 182 cup'd
It's more of a 'short cut to things that are open, but not really running, just where you left them' but that title isn't as snappy.

Agreed, I can't see a correct way of multitasking working. I'd rather just turn off the short cuts, they are a pain in the ass

S3, Polo
They arent missing at all, they just arent required because they arent common functions. If you consdider them common then there is something wrong.

What part of my post says that bluetooth/ 3G/ wifi/ GPS/ etc. were missing? I intimated that it's a ball-ache having to go 'Settings > General > Bluetooth > Toggle' to turn a common function on or off! I said it'd be a nice addition to have (what amounts to no more than 4 shortcuts) to my most commonly used functions!

I considered switching to an Android device but truth be told I like my 3GS thanks - It's by-and-large the best phone out there for my needs.

Oh, and you're plain mental if you consider 3G, Wifi and bluetooth not common capabilities. Seriously.

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 172
Still can't have your own ringtones/text tones FFS, pretty basic stuff.

You can make your own ringtones out of any song you have in iTunes...... Look it up on YouTube, it's simple. As for text tones you can get a few off cydia, but cant make your own yet :(

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
What part of my post says that bluetooth/ 3G/ wifi/ GPS/ etc. were missing? I intimated that it's a ball-ache having to go 'Settings > General > Bluetooth > Toggle' to turn a common function on or off! I said it'd be a nice addition to have (what amounts to no more than 4 shortcuts) to my most commonly used functions!

I considered switching to an Android device but truth be told I like my 3GS thanks - It's by-and-large the best phone out there for my needs.

Oh, and you're plain mental if you consider 3G, Wifi and bluetooth not common capabilities. Seriously.

Nobody constantly switches them on and off. What part of my post said the functions were missing? i was refering to your "we need shortcuts" post.
You dont need to turn anything off.

Never above 25mpg
The iPhone 4 should've been the first iPhone.

Software and touchscreen capability have been the phone's plus side consistently.

Fiat Panda 100hp
The iPhone 4 should've been the first iPhone.

Software and touchscreen capability have been the phone's plus side consistently.

The iphone 4 couldn't have been the first one. The way Apple went about creating the iphone was different to the way anyone else at the time. Steve started off with a very small team developing the iphone to make the software and hardware perfect, they set out to achieve perfection in the basic apps and functions.. they knew with a good platform you can build from it.

Their of doing it has done them pretty well thus far. Alot of manufactures, Nokia and the like have this amazing h/w but then the software is just thrown together so it just doesnt work and theres no consistency between software builds. The best thing I love about the iPhone is the eco system thats surrounds it.

+ The screen wasn't available at the time of the new iPhone.

Never above 25mpg
Concorde should have been the first commercial airliner IMO.

Some people really do talk utter s**t at times.

In relation to the phone's technology around it at the time. Sharp were always leaders in terms of phone features/screens before touchscreen imo. (First 2mp camera phone with the 902 iirc in 2004)

Although I'm sure if the concorde tech was available at the time of the first commercial airliner (Whenever that was) then they would've used it to their advantage.

Surely putting a phone out with 3G in 2007 can be easily done when Nokia can do it on a crappy 7600 in 2003?

Whichever way you slice and dice it, iPhone changed the market forever. The software has to be developed over time, but we all know the Apple haters are expert software engineers, and know what they're talking about. You'll never please the haters. First it was s**t because it had nothing, now it's s**t because their old phone from 1985 already had what it's now got. This is to conveniently ignore the fact that everything now emulates the iPhone, including the haters' sub-standard copies.

Never above 25mpg
Whichever way you slice and dice it, iPhone changed the market forever. The software has to be developed over time, but we all know the Apple haters are expert software engineers, and know what they're talking about. You'll never please the haters. First it was s**t because it had nothing, now it's s**t because their old phone from 1985 already had what it's now got. This is to conveniently ignore the fact that everything now emulates the iPhone, including the haters' sub-standard copies.

I'm not doubting that. Like I said, the thing that sold the iPhone was the software and the way the touchscreen worked/interacted with that software. (The reason I bought a 3G over a 5800)

People moaned about the Sharp GX30 when it came out, like the iPhone it had Bluetooth but without file transferring, so they listened to their customers and released the GX30i which was in essence 99.9% the same except it had the ability to transfer files.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'm not doubting that. Like I said, the thing that sold the iPhone was the software and the way the touchscreen worked/interacted with that software. (The reason I bought a 3G over a 5800)

People moaned about the Sharp GX30 when it came out, like the iPhone it had Bluetooth but without file transferring, so they listened to their customers and released the GX30i which was in essence 99.9% the same except it had the ability to transfer files.

They don't need to though....How many phones have I owned that have the ability to transfer files by bluetooth? 4..5...6..maybe. How many times did I use bluetooth file transfer, once, twice maybe 3 times...and what was it that I used bluetooth file transfer for? To get photos off the phone.

You see, just because people bleat on about wanting something...doesn't mean that actually need it. I suspect most of the people who bleated on about copy and paste being missing hardly ever use it. And one of the biggest gripes that apple were castigated for was the lack of landscape texting....well I don't know a single person who actually texts in landscape now the feature is there.

Apple seem to have a knack of knowing what you want....even if you dont.

That said, the lack of a lockscreen information system is an omission, certainly something that's missing from something that wants to be "enterprise".

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Software wise sbsettings and bitesms integrated natively would be great.

Hardware - biometrix fingerprint unlock would be cool

Other suggestions:

Better, bigger screen without the black borders. Faster. Better camera(s). Use the mic in the phone for noise cancelling outside sounds when your listening to tunes. Thinner. Mini integrated projector. Solar panel on rear for recharging. Longer lasting battery. Infrared signal transmitter. Oh yeh lighter too.

So there you have it, loads to go!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
This is to conveniently ignore the fact that everything now emulates the iPhone, including the haters' sub-standard copies.
That's bang on, every phone i've seen is playing against and chasing the tail of the iPhone. Fact.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Solar panel for charging? Oh yes, that'll come in handy when Im walking around with the phone in my pocket.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
The only thing that seperates the Iphone from every other phone is the App store. Unfortunately thats what makes the Iphone numero uno. All the other features are on most other decent phones nowadays.

The android App store is getting better,but the big boys are not on there at the moment.
Android is growing rapidly, i think they will be level by this time next year. I cant see why not?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The only thing that seperates the Iphone from every other phone is the App store. Unfortunately thats what makes the Iphone numero uno. All the other features are on most other decent phones nowadays.

The android App store is getting better,but the big boys are not on there at the moment.
Android is growing rapidly, i think they will be level by this time next year. I cant see why not?

I disagree, the thing that separates the iPhone from every other handset is the slickness, it just works. Do you see UI funnies or inconsistencies? No.... Before the iPhone the smartphone was the bastion of geeks...now everybody from the receptionist in the hair salon to scientists use them.

Androids biggest feature is also it's biggest problem, the fact that it is open source.

Not to mention the fact that there are now competing "app stores" on the android platform, not just the Market place.

You also have the situation where because manufacturers fork the android sources so much, it takes a fair amount of time for changes in the mainline branch to be fed back into their own fork, and let's not forget manufacturers/networks creating versions with crapware installed...android really is the networks wet dream come true.

Will android be successful...sure, will it ship on more devices than iOS? Sure...the question is, which particular flavour because none of them are vanilla.

Android, an operating system by software engineers for software engineers.

Bus w**ker
I suspect most of the people who bleated on about copy and paste being missing hardly ever use it. And one of the biggest gripes that apple were castigated for was the lack of landscape texting....well I don't know a single person who actually texts in landscape now the feature is there.
I use C&P often, mostly because I f**k things up a lot and need to edit them. And landscape texting/emailing/typing is the only way I roll, my fat thumbs don't get on well with this f**king touchscreen at he best of times. I'd have no chance in portrait.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I dont see any inconsistencies or non slickness with Android either? It is simple/easy and slick.

Androids problem is due to it being open source that apps are hard to male for all the diff screen sizes etc.

Sent from my 21inch imac

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Maybe they could cut their profit margins and make the phone competitively priced.

They could start by employing some people over 25 in their stores that aren't hippy muppets that don't know anything other than how to get facebook on everything Apple, and what is wrong with a checkout, you make all transactions through an iPhone, WTF is the point, so much wasted money.

Basically, some people get hung up on features and specs, while others prefer the experience. The quality. The feel.

In other words, some people seem to have an issue with amazing design, and would rather have something cheaper feeling, and largely inferior, in order to gain a few features they'll never use. Much like the MBP haters who would rather have a hot, noisy, battery eating, plastic POS because it was cheaper than an MBP and has more specz0rz. Apple is about the design, and they are amazing engineers. Every Apple product is a masterpiece of engineering. For that reason, they will IMO always be ahead in terms of quality and innovation. The haters will disagree. The entire world has been duped by Steve into thinking that Apple products are awesome to use. Specs are more important. The irony there being that they've been sucked into the specs marketing hype by every other manufacturer that has nothing else to offer.

Mk2 Golf GTI
Basically, some people get hung up on features and specs, while others prefer the experience. The quality. The feel.

In other words, some people seem to have an issue with amazing design, and would rather have something cheaper feeling, and largely inferior, in order to gain a few features they'll never use. Much like the MBP haters who would rather have a hot, noisy, battery eating, plastic POS because it was cheaper than an MBP and has more specz0rz. Apple is about the design, and they are amazing engineers. Every Apple product is a masterpiece of engineering. For that reason, they will IMO always be ahead in terms of quality and innovation. The haters will disagree. The entire world has been duped by Steve into thinking that Apple products are awesome to use. Specs are more important. The irony there being that they've been sucked into the specs marketing hype by every other manufacturer that has nothing else to offer.

You've just cost me the best part of a grand...

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
The only uber expensive product is the Ipad, hence why an Ipad mini may be coming out

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Just to clarify, I am not an Apple hater, I use all Apple products at work and they are great. Just can't see the benefit for home use when you look at the cost.

I think 14million sales probably means the price point is okay.

Exactamundo. It's already taking over the world. Only a helmet would reduce the price when people are willing to pay £600 for one. Also, how much does it cost to make each unit? I don't know the profit margins but I imagine they're not massively higher per unit than anyone else making phones.

Craig, what do you do? I have to use a Windows machine at work, but it's a lot nicer to get back on a Mac when I'm home.

The only uber expensive product is the Ipad, hence why an Ipad mini may be coming out

An iPad which is just over 400?

There already is an iPad Mini. It's called a touch.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The iPad is cheap imo. It's still a novelty sized Touch but it's cool. And as always the design is second to none.

You could use a macbook as a piece of art in your living room they are so pretty.

And Rofl at reducing the price, probably end up devaluing the brand when the rift raft are running around with iPhone 4's because they are £200!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nobody (Well 12-18yr olds with samsungs), the fact that 3G has a faster transfer speed in certain conditions not to mention wifi makes it redundant.

if it wasnt for audio, it wouldnt be there.

Fiesta ST-2
I also don't get why people want Bluetooth to send files?! Havnt used it on any phone since school, actually that's a lie. I'm sure I sent some filthy pics to random people in pubs/clubs a few years back to see who 'sexystacey69' was from the disgusted look on their face.