ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How Much Spent on Mods for What Power??

178hp 172 Cup
How Much Spent on Mods for What Power Increases??

As i am quite new to the Clio Sport tuning scene i just wondered how much others hav spent on tuning thier 172 / 182's on whats mods and for what power increases!!

I really wanna guage just how much money i would realistically need to spend to get my 172 cup a little quicker. Upto around 200bhp + tbh with what modifications??

Also does ur power increase's justify the money spend in ur opionions?? is it really worth spending the extra money on ITB's for example??

i know there is various threads on here regarding who has what mods etc but i really wanna know just how much money has been spent for those little extra horses!!!

Trophy #267
panel filter 40-50, full open IK 300 - some if negligable increase + more audible
silicon elbow - 50 as above
ported inlet & plenham chamber 300 - fairly large increase as most are quite bad
ITB - not sure expensive but good returns
Cams - as above but more expensive
remap - 300 indivually a minor increase but a must if doing the others
decat - 100

all in all, the cost of modding is fairly expensive for the gains you see. however, the basic Ik mods + remap do make quite a difference - probably more in torque than pure hp. only when going into cams etc do you enter the realms of silly money ! (imho of course)

I think you can realistically get around 200bhp from a cams package with a good exhaust ie Supersprint, BTB or Orbisoud.

Your probably looking at 2.5k.

As to what a 20bhp gain is like. Have a look at my RR graph when it goes through its 5k kick it gains 20bhp/15lbft over 500rpm. This transistion is definately noticeable and I think would give justification that the extra 20bhp is worth having, if you have 2.5k spare ;)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=210780

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
About £500 for circa 185bhp. Will be around £1000 when I get nearer to 200bhp with new manifolds fitted and 2nd remap.

I've blagged numerous bargains over the years.

ITB BG 182
Id definatly recommend the power packages from GDi as they do not mess about, top job done every time.
You might just want to start off with the light things first, good induction kit an exhaust that performs well and does just not have one thats gone by its name ie BTB, btb's are nice but in my opion a milltek is worth the 300 when a btb aint for the extra 2bhp or 200 quiddiffernce.
Then get better brakes as there is no point in having the go if you aint got the wow.
Then suspension just springs like the Eibachs make a differnce but if you want to throw the boat out then go for coilovers about £500+
After that go for plemuim port an polish then ecu remaps cam packages etc etc.

For a completely bone stock car you'd need a decat, stainless cat back system, panel filter and the GDI cam and inlet package, so roughly looking at £2-2.5k as Mark said. Worth it despite what some people that dont have these mods say lol. The difference would be noticable over a standard engine... maybe not to drive on your own, but get side by side with another 1*2 and you'd see it then.

Throttle bodies are pretty hard core, price is a fair bit more, but peak power increases to around 220bhp, but low down and mid range power increases dramatically.

Integra Type R & 205 Mi16
You might just want to start off with the light things first, good induction kit an exhaust that performs well and does just not have one thats gone by its name ie BTB, btb's are nice but in my opion a milltek is worth the 300 when a btb aint for the extra 2bhp or 200 quiddiffernce.

I wasn't aware you could get a miltek for £300? i thought it was more like £425? Also, its not just the increase in performance you pay for its the quality of the product as well. Despite being more expensive than other systems it still represents excellent value for money.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
I'm getting pretty close to 1,500 pounds spent but it is most definitely quicker than a standard 182 and can do an idenitical 1/4 time to a R32.
Matched inlets, decat, Group N ECU, Supersprint and soon to have BMC.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
^lol, when will people understand that when someone modifies their car they don't want a 'better car'. 1,500 is hardly anything in the grand scheme of things. And it's definitely more than a couple of BHP.

^^ Indeed! People also forget the wee beasts weigh just over a tonne.

Over 20 extra bhp is a fair bit on a small car. I can't weight to do it to mine.

Why not make a great car even more fun?

Clio 182
I was happy and am still happy with mine but when you come round to thinking about changing your car you start to think it was a waste of money as you wont see the £2500 you've spent again. Cams are expensive to return to standard, the new owner gets a great car all at a cost to you. I probably wont tune my next car or my next car will have the work done already. Good if you have money to burn but I did'nt and just got carried away with wanting more from my car.

Clio 182
Definatly was noticable. The car just pulled well from lower rev's. Its not just a gain of 20 BHP its an increase in Torque across the whole rev range too.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Of course 20BHP is noticeable, lol. If you couldn't notice the difference then something was very wrong.

Clio 182

Over 20 extra bhp is a fair bit on a small car. I can't weight to do it to mine.

no such thing as a small car nowdays, there all heavy lard ass things unfortunately.

whats a 182 something like 1100kg, back in the good old days small meant 850kg now your carrying around another 1/3 of a car.

How much do people think a 20bhp increase would cut down a 0-60 time, 0.2sec?

no such thing as a small car nowdays, there all heavy lard ass things unfortunately.

whats a 182 something like 1100kg, back in the good old days small meant 850kg now your carrying around another 1/3 of a car.

How much do people think a 20bhp increase would cut down a 0-60 time, 0.2sec?

you cant really measure it with a time scale like that , you could but it wouldn't justify the increases tbh , you need to feel the differences , be it minimal or 20bhp you can tell that it feel better to drive and has more go

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
The difference is noticeable to any outsider. If you drive your car day in, day out, you won't notice a difference as you become acclimatised to the extra pace.

However, a friend of mine has a standard 172, every time he drives my car, he comments on the low down pull and the way it just carries on throughout the rev' range.

20bhp is very noticeable.

M2 Competition
You'll notice the difference fella. Its more to do with feeling and the delivery of power than the power figures would suggest. As mentioned, 20bhp is a fair bit on a small car.

Have you thought about stripping it out? Fair bit of free power to weight to be gained by doing this.

178hp 172 Cup
my ideas are firstly to get myslef some 16" Superleggera wheels, then a set of Brembo HC Discs with Pagid Blue Pads and Goodridge Hoses and possibly a set of H&R Coilovers!! the i am thinkin or goin GDI for a full exhaust system and de cat along with thier inlet manifold too!! then i wanna go for and Omex Engine Management and Cat Cams!!!

i will also strip out the rear of the cup and replace the fronts for a set of buckets!!!

my aim of this post was to c others options and recommendations and go from there!!!