ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much would you pay to keep a Clio 172 running when on 162500 miles?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I've probably spent a minimum of three times what the car's worth on uprated parts and major servicing,
if I like a car i'll spend whatever it takes to keep it going.

If it's just a chunk of metal to you and you have no real emotional attachment to it,
then i'd be moving on to something else with decent service history and belts done.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
depends on how far you have gone already, if the belts etc are recent then keep it going, if all needs changing with other stuff too then it's debatable.

It's at minimum value too there so so it's not going to lose anymore, so essentially you're paying just to keep it going rather than make it look good on an advert, either way it's probably cheaper than buying into something else, always is.

Clio 172 Phase II
thanks folks... up to £200 this week just to try and get it running again but it hasn't worked yet. I wish had more time.... and money of course! I get emotionally attached to all my cars, unfortunately.

Clio 172 Phase II
At the mo? Missing on no. 2 and 3 cylinder (in a garage today for coilpack, etc- crossed fingers). ABS broken. Bit crunchy 2- 3 gear change. In the last year its had 2 injectors, new CV joint, plugs, leads, etc.. I just kind of expect it to keep breaking things as its got to a certain mileage.

Clio 172 Phase II
Yes, it is quite hard to decide what to do. I keep saying to myself that the next major repair means I'll get something else. I think I'll go for an Ignis Sport next.
Thats not actually that bad dude, people on here have these issues @ 100K less, keep going.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's a f*cker when it all goes wrong at once.

At the start of this year I had :

Both belts
Dephaser
Water pump
Coil Pack
HT leads
Alternator & new bracket
Air Con delete (it was smashed & broken)
Sump Gasket

That little lot was £900 and that was a mates rates price, should have been £1200.

But there's no way i'd find a 172 with the amount of mods i've got and with that level of service history for £900,
so it's worth it to keep a car I love going for another 5 years.

There's still stuff wrong with it that needs sorting though. lol

Clio 172 Phase II
Yes, these things crop up all the time on the forum it seems. What’s your mileage?
Yeah it's a f*cker when it all goes wrong at once.

At the start of this year I had :

Both belts
Dephaser
Water pump
Coil Pack
HT leads
Alternator & new bracket
Air Con delete (it was smashed & broken)
Sump Gasket

That little lot was £900 and that was a mates rates price, should have been £1200.

But there's no way i'd find a 172 with the amount of mods i've got and with that level of service history for £900,
so it's worth it to keep a car I love going for another 5 years.

There's still stuff wrong with it that needs sorting though. lol

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Mine has cost a grand this year just on

Belts, Waterpump, dephaser £725
TRE £80ish
Balls Joints £60sih
Leads £40
Plus £40
Pads and Discs all round £200
Oil Changes
Xenon Bulbs which are expensive for a bloody bulb
6 tyres this year due to gippos dropping nails everywhere

thats before the good stuff I actually wanted to buy.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I remember being on 93k. You've got practically a new car. :0)

Yep it's worth it in the long run,
at least I know the car's history and how it's been treated and driven in the 6 years i've owned it,
instead of buying another one with belts and history that I have no clue what kind of life it's had.

Mine has cost a grand this year just on

Belts, Waterpump, dephaser £725
TRE £80ish
Balls Joints £60sih
Leads £40
Plus £40
Pads and Discs all round £200
Oil Changes
Xenon Bulbs which are expensive for a bloody bulb
6 tyres this year due to gippos dropping nails everywhere

thats before the good stuff I actually wanted to buy.

Hids direct do a pair of hid bulbs d2s for under £20 ;)

This year I have had

discs and pads all round ( I know wear and tear but its still ££)
Two engine replacements Including belts + dephaser
RS2 manifold fitted and mapped
New clutch
New rear shocks

Currently unfitted but sat in my living room

20mm front spacers
10mm rear spacers
cooksport springs

Expensive year so far

Yeah original engine had heavy scoring on the cams and followers were talking a 2mm gouge :eek:
Sourced a replacement lump from a popular Renault breakers that are a sponsor of CS turned out that that one was a nail and only held 100psi on two of the cylinders so it went straight back before being fitted ffs.
Sourced a 172 lump which held very good compression and made very good power unfortunately 6 weeks later it dropped a valve.
Finally sourced a 172 lump from Gaz and touch wood has been fine since :)

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
I've always been told if you are spending £1k or less a year, then that ain't so bad. Prob a bit more for a 172 seeing as they are a performance car.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I've just had the following done to my Mk2 172 on just under 140,000 miles.

Cambelt/ Aux belt and service
Dephaser
Alternator
Mainfold bolts
wipers
oil pressure sensor
fabia splitter
Matched inlets
PMS lightweight AC kit
MoT
6 months road tax
insurance (paid in full)

So quite a expensive fortnight. And it needs a new set of brake discs/ pads soon (for my 4 pots) I have owned said Clio for just under 8 years now, and can't ever see my parting with it so IMO it is worth it.

My old 182 (mrs') is at c.120k miles.

Cost 35 quid for an MOT and £6 for a bulb this year.

Last year was a service and coolant change.

We'll keep it alive for as long as possible as it's a good little car, but belts are due next year and we're debating just running it til it pops lol.

It's worth about £1250 in all honesty maybe 1500 with the belts done... And 600ish in parts with a broken engine, so we roughly break even either way give or take a few hundred quid.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Hahaha , alright alright I'll spill the beans

3 engines ( total of 1300£)
belts kits £200 on my 3rd engine which is still in
1set of new Delphi injectors 400£
3pumps ( 2 recons ) 250£ each on recon and 400£ brand new one

full suspension refresh 300£
Two new turbos £200 a go.

yeah allot of money but I can't get rid of it, to much attachment. Only owned it nearly 3 years

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Since I bought mine in July 2012:

New disks and pads all round £150 with trader paying for fronts.
4 new tyres (PS3's) £500 fitted
Scorpion Cat back: £350
New springs: £165
Aux belt service £279
New Thermostat/coolant & gearbox oil £70
Interim service £50
Fixing/sleeving the catback join (ended up paying multiple times for this) total £120
Cat to Manifold Kit: £50 (changed twice)
Exhaust hangers: about £40

Total: £1724. Flol when adding up.

Listerine & Poledo
I binned off ol' stripey when it came to its 10-yr belts.
It was also begging for a new gearbox.

I couldn't justify pouring the thick end of £2k into a hatch barely worth £1k.

But, as said, each to their own. If you've been throwing money away on modz, you may as well keep going.
Equally, if you've sunk dollars into normal servicing and there's nothing wrong with it other than the belts, yeah, as above, better the devil you know.

ph2 172
Best to way up the costs of getting it running or spend money on another car?
But then you could buy someone else's problems and still have to spend money on it!
if the car is in a very good condition and you have spent money getting it to where it is now then keep it and finish getting it going and then you know what it's had done and know it will keep going for several years.
Im doing bits to mine atm and finding that as I replace one part another gets highlighted and needs doing. :(
btw mine is on 154k now.

Astra (H) VXR
I just spent £600 getting mine back on the road and IMO it's no longer worth it as it still has issues.. So I will be breaking it :( shame as I loved itz

Clio 172 Phase II
Well, I have done it. I bought an Ignis Sport whilst I am considering repairing the clio 172. It's ok, but performs less well in all most areas apart from maybe the seats and yellow mesh in the headrests!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
As i use it for work some times, whatever it takes. That, unfortunately is one of the pit falls of hot hatch used car ownership!

I'm going to keep mine going until a major repair bill comes up, then it'll be broken and I'll buy another!

Mine is also a daily and I need it to get to and from work, 50 miles both ways.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mines on 115k currently and due belts etc next year and I know alternator, clutch and front discs and pads need doing too.

so next year i'm looking at around 600 odd in parts and a busy weekend. which imo is worth it!

after that though it may well be a case of keep it tidy for a couple of years, then sell all the shiny bits, back to standard and run it till it goes bang!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I just keep all my cars going regardless.

Any RS is just a money pit. Last year my 182 had £2.5k spent on it (not by me and with no labour charge, just parts) this years it's probably close to £1000. God knows what it's worth, £2k maybe but I'd never be able to replace it for that so just spend.

Problem is, when you replace a car the chances are it hasn't been owned by an enthusiast and will need loads doing that they wouldn't even notice.

Take my DCI for example. Owned by someone who didn't know anything about cars but thought it needed for nothing. Body work absolutely immaculate and it was a bargain at £1200. However it needed, all new ARB bushes, front discs and pads, wipers, track rod ends, cambelt, rear spring, new steering gaiter, new alternator pulley, new aux belt, massive service, tweeters replacing, oil pressure switch, boost leak fixing and a new number plate light. For £1500 I've got a car which is a million time better and will last far longer than a clio for sale at £1500

If I were to buy another car it would never have all that done and therefore I'd never sell and will be taking it to 250k whatever the cost. What's the worst, new engine? £500, still cheaper than buying a car of the same maintenance calibre.

Save it. Parts are cheap :)