ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How often do you change your gearbox oil?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
On my road clios I usually do it every couple of years but on the track car I go a bit more often. Last year it only did 2100 miles and I had to change it as I was doing the wetside shaft.

Due to the temp replacement shaft when I fitted the new one the oil had only done 125 miles (65ish on track) and it was already black.

AD3ABBE9-71E7-47B4-996C-9572FDE3A751.jpeg

Is that pretty normal for box oil or not? Cos it smells so awful it's not a job I enjoy!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I tend to do box oil once a year, sometimes more. It's so easy to do too and probably prolongs the life of the box.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Mmm. I wonder why mine was so black after so few miles.

Ah well, it's basically had a flush so that can't do any harm.

What oil are you using?
Could just be the dye changing colour under temperature?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Once a year with Elf NFJ 75W-80 on my trackcar, although this year it looked really clean but that was only with 4 track days last year so probably abit overkill but for the sake of 30 odd quid and abit of my time ill probably continue regardless.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Just done my Civic again and was done in Dec 2016 last. The oil was really clean and golden that came out, so I thought it was a waste of time and money. But definitely feels better for sure - although it's only been a day so far. 100 miles or so and I should tell properly.

Evo 5 RS
Shouldn't need to change it all that often unless you do a lot of track work. Once every few years on a road car or if you're quite anal and have a lot of mechanical sympathy once every 2 years maybe depending on mileage.

Once a year for me. I bought the triple qx stuff from euro car parts. Took about 10 mins to change so worth doing

Mines been done 3 times in the last 25K miles, last time used the MTL

Dont see 60quid once a year or even twice a yr a big expense to keep the chocolate box working

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
When I accidentally drained the box after popping the inner CV boot off the driveshaft bearing during a ball joint change (don’t ask!), the box oil was properly black.

From looking back at the history, it looks like the box oil was circa 20k old tho but was proper Elf oil.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
there a guide to doing it? I could do with doing mine hopefully its not too hard to do!

Easy, drain plug underneath.

Plastic wing nut on the front of the box to fill up from.

Pour oil in until it runs back out of the fill hole.

Can either use a funnel and tube from the top or one of them hand pump things from underneath.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yearly for me, just do it as part of the rest of the normal service!
My gearbox oil was black when it was changed when I got the car, was still golden the 2nd time. My engine oil was black after a year!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
anyone reccomend what oil I should use and where is best place to buy?

The car will do no more then 200 miles within the year and more then likely less then 50 as its for sprinting only.

Also is there a certain tube people buy to fill it with / make it easier?

Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
anyone reccomend what oil I should use and where is best place to buy?

The car will do no more then 200 miles within the year and more then likely less then 50 as its for sprinting only.

Also is there a certain tube people buy to fill it with / make it easier?

Thanks

About the best you can get.

I use one of these for filling

It's a bit of a pain doing it from underneath and you do get w*****s cramp after pumping for ages ?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks James!

it says 3L on the searches ive done, think the 3 quarts, 2.8 litre will be enough?

Can I just pump from the top, or have my mate pumping? :p

Probably best to get the 4 quart, then you'll have some left over and can just get 3 quarts next time.

The tube on that pump is quite short tbh, so can't see it reaching from the top. Rope your mate in to do it lol.

No need for pumps. Garden hose in the side with a funnel is all you'll ever need. Double check the car is level and when there's enough it will start to drip out the hole.

I got this one. All 380mm in length.

When I was looking at it on my phone before buying my mrs saw it on my screen and thought it was something entirely different....