ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how often do you "heel and toe"?

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Yes i understand completely
the diffence it makes on a road car with an already strong designed box is miniscule

Its not about strength, synchros are made from brass on virtually all gearboxes. Its basically like choosing how you take a corner. High speed with sliding and scrubbing of the tyre surface, or driving slightly slower without breaking the co-efficient of friction. One method will wear the tyres faster. Both can get you round the corner. (Bad analogy as one is much more fun)
Yes your gearbox is initially designed to do 150,000 miles without maintenance but your driving style can massively reduce or increase this variable. People are breaking gearboxes on these clios so they are not infallible

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Iv been out today trying to get the hang of this.... Keep putting to many revs this ent easy!!!

2 girls, 172 cup
i dont see how people (whilst having an interest in cars) can work their way up from the sh!tter first car to a drivers car like a rs clio and not know how to/why to do this.

TBH if you slam it into a gear when slowing down you look a right pr!ck.

oh.......and yes..........i am a hero

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You need to nail rev matched downshifts without breaking before even trying it tbh.

This...if anyone's interested that is.

Find a quiet road, get up to say 40mph in 5th gear, then while staying at 40mph, shift down through the gears to 2nd, rev matching each shift. Your aim is to stay at a constant 40mph, giving no noticeable 'jerks' forward or backwards as you select each gear.

Once you've got this smooth and have a feel for how much of a blip the throttle needs, you can move on to trying it while braking.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Thankfully i dont find it that hard to do thanks to my size 12 feet so i just tilt my right foot down on to the accelerator when braking.

RS RIP
^^ Like a couple of posts back mentioned i first got the basic rev-matching (which comes naturally me thinks) , now the last year i have been trying the heel-toe and i am starting to get it down..

But i can't really blip the pedal to getr the exact revs , it seems such a unnatural footposition, i just get the revs up with no beauty/control to it :eek:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I just match the revs when driving normally. Only heal and toe when thrashing it. Seems much easier to do when giving it some imo.

I also find the trainers i'm wearing at the time makes a big difference to how easy/hard it is to do.

172 ph1
I heel and toe in just about any car I drive unless it's an automatic. With some cars it's more difficult as you'd have to be braking pretty hard before you can reach the throttle.