ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how often do you "heel and toe"?

mk2 clio 172 ph1
as the topic say..

personally I use heel and toe on every down shift. either daily commuting or weekend mountain runs and trackdays.

mk2 clio 172 ph1
forgive me for living a sheltered life, but what is heel and toe? haha :)

basically "blipping" the gas pedal with your heel whilst breaking with the ball of your foot.
its used to match the engine revs to the lower gear you're changing in to.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
During everyday driving heel and toe really isn't neccessary. You shouldn't be braking that hard all the time to warrant not taking your foot off to dab the accelerator or really feel the need to do all your downshifting whilst on the brakes.

However I bow to your greater knowledge as you clearly sound like a driving God. :eek:

Listerine & Poledo
everytime I need 3rd gear!

just read the OP, you truly are a hero.

but is this only after you destroyed your syncho's?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Every day. Nearly every shift, but if I'm off the brakes, I'll still jab the throttle for smoothness.

Same as starting the car with the clutch disengaged, it's mechanical sympathy.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Never! I left foot brake when I'm bored though.

:S

It's mechanically sympathetic to H&T, LFB is just to maintain stability/traction in corners. Or do you just mean you brake with your left foot around town? lol.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I use telepathy to tell the engine to blip for me when downshifting ;)

Off topic... Dave what is this new ITB department?

:S

It's mechanically sympathetic to H&T, LFB is just to maintain stability/traction in corners. Or do you just mean you brake with your left foot around town? lol.
Yeah if I'm really bored I'll brake with my left foot. Just thought I'd put that out there ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
LOL! Using your left foot to brake in traffic isn't LFB.

I liked the pedals in the Panda though, perfect spacing.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I heel and toe all the time of atleast give it a squirt of revs on downshifts to help the gearbox out.

Does anybody else cringe when they get in a car with someone else and as they approach a junction they dip the clutch about 50 yds away and slam it into 1st, no sympathy or knowledge :(.

I don't really do left foot braking As I don't drive on track and wouldn't want to practice on the road when entering a corner at high speed. The pressure difference is massive between the brake and clutch, it's weird how your right foot has learnt to be smooth but the left just has to push hard all of the time.

I remember the first time I did LFB, nearly went through the front window lol

120d M Sport
On most downshifts apart from at really slow speed. Definetely blip the throttle to drop a cog or two!

In my 106 however no heel is required, just big toe and little toe ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I heel and toe all the time of atleast give it a squirt of revs on downshifts to help the gearbox out.

Does anybody else cringe when they get in a car with someone else and as they approach a junction they dip the clutch about 50 yds away and slam it into 1st, no sympathy or knowledge :(.

I don't really do left foot braking As I don't drive on track and wouldn't want to practice on the road when entering a corner at high speed. The pressure difference is massive between the brake and clutch, it's weird how your right foot has learnt to be smooth but the left just has to push hard all of the time.

LOL. Yeah, we've all done that practicing. :eek:

200 FF Storm Grey

Same, I thought my brakes were sh1te, I left foot braked the other night on a queit road just out of curiosity and felt like i'd just gone into a brick wall lol

E46 M3
I only heel and toe on trackdays and when out on a hoon. Normal driving I might have a cheeky rev match now and then but its not often necessary.

I once tried left foot braking, my head couldn't understand that it wasn't the clutch so I just kept pressing harder untill it stalled :eek:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I do it on most downshifts, although never really use my heel - more the the outside ball of my foot.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I do it when downshifting when I'm approaching a roundabout or junction sometimes, not in an agressive way, more just to try to match the revs so the clutch has less work to do. But usually, I let the engine break, so downshift without braking, but match the revs, which doesn't require heel & toe.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
You need to be going some and braking pretty hard to use it effectively.

I can't do it on the track, especially if you are driving close to the limits, it is very difficult to get right, and get round the corner well, because I am not a racing driver, I can get round quicker when I'm not heel toeing.

I expect very, very few people on here use it to it's proper effect. Maybe 1 or 2 that actually race.

CBR1K, F21 125D
On non braking downshifts just lock the throttle and downshift. Will "rev match" itself.

Heel and toe everyday? So popping down to the shops and giving it a good 'ol blip whilst turning into tesco lol? Only if Im pushing it, no need otherwise. From what Ive heard, read and been told, its not only there to make the shift smoother but also about balancing the car. So you need to be going fairly rapidly to have to do it in the first place no?!