ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how often do you "heel and toe"?

There is no need for the extra release of the clutch half way though on modern synchro cars.

This explains a lot! Last time I tried it I was taking about 10 seconds a shift with the extra clutch depress and release :eek:!

Am I right in thinking you can just: brake, depress clutch, blip throttle to rev match, down shift, release clutch?

182 track, Mk7 ST
I've always rev matched in all cars i've had but never got the knack of heel toe or left foot braking for that matter :(

Now i've got the 182 (not even had it a week) i'm gonna try and teach myself this over the weekend :p not gonna learn it in time for my track session at Brands next week though

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
There is no need for the extra release of the clutch half way though on modern synchro cars.

That is the whole point. It spins all the gears not just the mainshaft and gives a really fast change.

I like a bit of heel and toe in the bedroom. :eek: Nurses outfit, high heeled boots, whip...... Off for a cold shower (BTW that's her in the nurses oufit etc.... but there again come to think of it..) ;)

Lionel Richie
OK boys and girls. Here is how it is done. The expression heel and toes comes from the 20's and 30's on racing barges like Bentleys, 'cos the throttle was in between the clutch and brake, eeek!

Ok, you are ready for a downshift under braking. While braking with you right foot, swing your foot a bit anti clockwise, as you press the clutch you shift into neutral, release the clutch, and still braking give the throttle a blip with the right part of your foot. As the revs start to drop you press the clutch and shift to the gear you want. Swivel foot, let the clutch and brake go and floor the throttle.
Take this from an old git whose first car had no synchro, by design....

Double de clutching is the same without the braking bit. I mastered it at 17. It's very easy.

you go to neutral, let the clutch up and then put it back down again to go down a gear? erm why?

brake, clutch in, blib, down a gear, clutch up - done

182cup & 172 racecar
You can also change gear without the clutch if your careful,just match the revs and you can feel it wanting to go in,not that I recommend doing this.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You can also change gear without the clutch if your careful,just match the revs and you can feel it wanting to go in,not that I recommend doing this.

I did this in my Cup out of curiosity :eek:, both up and down the 'box. It changes very well without the clutch, so long as you wait for the revs to reach the right level it slips in nicely without a crunch.

330i. E30 Touring.

PMSL. I fucked a clutch in a sprinter van once.

Put it in gear, start it and plant the throttle, then got it back to work using this method. :cool:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I did this in my Cup out of curiosity :eek:, both up and down the 'box. It changes very well without the clutch, so long as you wait for the revs to reach the right level it slips in nicely without a crunch.

I'll await 1,000,001 new threads appearing the the Problems, Solutions, etc section tonight! Lol!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Never.

The majority of my driving is commuting to work so either cruising along or coasting to a stop at traffic lights.

I like driving but don't usually drive for sake of it so don't really have opportunity to practise.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I think the pedals on the Clio don't suit heel and toeing so I don't do it. I left foot brake when going fast when I'm in the mood.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
  Clio 172
I do it quite often depending on where im driving. As Christopher says tho if i'm off the brakes, I'll still blip the throttle for smoothness.

182cup & 172 racecar
Never. Can't do it, think I need custom pedals. Or custom feet.
clown-shoes-red-yellow500.jpg

Still can't get the hang of heel and toe yet, need more practice at it. I rev match every down change though.

Si

RS Clio 172
Every day. Nearly every shift, but if I'm off the brakes, I'll still jab the throttle for smoothness.

Same as starting the car with the clutch disengaged, it's mechanical sympathy.

This. Although i f**k up some downshifts. Practice makes perfect!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Never.

The majority of my driving is commuting to work so either cruising along or coasting to a stop at traffic lights.

I like driving but don't usually drive for sake of it so don't really have opportunity to practise.

You need to come out with me Tim, on some 'pointless' journeys ;)

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I probably do need more practice but doing it in things like a 106gti it felt far more comfortable. If ya look at the new ferrari's all there pedals line up for that exact reason. It's only my opinion not saying it's fact for every1.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I probably do need more practice but doing it in things like a 106gti it felt far more comfortable. If ya look at the new ferrari's all there pedals line up for that exact reason. It's only my opinion not saying it's fact for every1.

Oh its great the 106 gti/saxo vts. In fact its difficult not to heal & toe lol ...

Loved the pedal box in them, whilst everyone else moaned!!