ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how often do you thrash your rs

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
hi guys i was wondering how often do people thrash thre 172/182 in a day is it bad to thrash it alot or is it bad not to thrash it.its been a week since i got my 172 and ive thrased it once properly up to the limiter in 1st and 2nd with my mate sitting with me hes got a 04 plate ctr and he was well well impressesd from my 172 in terms of performance and toys he said he thought it be slower.he really was impressed.

Mondeo STTDCI
I dont thrash it enough IMO.

But I do live in a more urban area and all the short sprints have done NO harm whatsoever. She's a lively one I think.

Megane Mk4
.Griff. said:
As long as it's properly warmed up and maintained then thrash it everyday.
On private roads and tracks of course ;)

edit:- I must admit though after 17K on the clock, the engine is starting to wear in and loosen up now and it does feel a little nippier too :D

172 Cup
onpoint productions said:
this might be a dumb question but whats the best way to maintain them so there running in veary good nick

Just the basics really. Check your oil level and quality regularly and ensure the oil is up to temp (guage on dash is water temp so don't go by that, give it 15 mins before driving hard)

Citroen DS3 DSport
Nowhere near often enough but I do on occasion give it a high rev or two :) It reminds me why I bought it and never fails to make me smile. Last time was tonight on my drive home.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
.Griff. said:
Just the basics really. Check your oil level and quality regularly and ensure the oil is up to temp (guage on dash is water temp so don't go by that, give it 15 mins before driving hard)

whats the best oil to use

Megane Mk4
onpoint productions said:
whats the best oil to use

When I took the car in for it's first service I asked for ELF Excellium and it's been running nice and smooth ever since :D

Expensive stuff though :(

l!ckeldev!l_2k1 said:
When I took the car in for it's first service I asked for ELF Excellium and it's been running nice and smooth ever since :D

Expensive stuff though :(

thought silkolene 5w40 was good as well ?;)

Liam182 said:
at least once per drive. Get that green shift light on, 1st 2nd and 3rd ;)

quickie............green light , i know its gear light but imo thought it was the light to say u are exceeding limit in that gear . so would it not b advisable to change b4 it comes on ????????? 7000/7200 revs or so ?:quiet:

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
gets a hard run once a day usually.
Never take it to the limiter tho as there is no need. The power drops off at about 6.2k so i change there. If the green light comes on youve gone too far!

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
At least every drive i take it on i give it the full treatment,even if i'm on an empty road and alone i'll still give it some welly as its just pure fun and excitement driving it hard.
Usually changed around 6.5-7k revs,but do like to bounce off the limiter occasionally ;) .
Such a great car when giving it the full whack!!!

Iain C said:
gets a hard run once a day usually.
Never take it to the limiter tho as there is no need. The power drops off at about 6.2k so i change there. If the green light comes on youve gone too far!

but if you take it to 7ish then it lands back in the power after gear change

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Everyday, but usually when i'm driving home from work. I just love the weekends, when i purposely go out just to put a smile on my face..!!

Tyson.

A4 Avant
Mine gets a good thrashing at the weekends. Can't really go too fast during the week sat in traffic.:dapprove:

clio 182 black /gold
I drive mine like a biddy 95% of the time. Rarly thrash it. Im scared it might break lol

tiTTy & SV650
Post in this thread at your own risk, may affect the resale value of your car :clown:

Never raced or rallied...

cock mobile.
rory182 said:
Post in this thread at your own risk, may affect the resale value of your car :clown:

Never raced or rallied...

lol, maybe true.

I wouldn't mind buying a car that's been driven hard, as long as it's been cared for and warmed up, etc, etc I'd prefer it to buying one that's never seen past 4k rpm.

RB 200 Cup!
the absoultely best time to thrash a car is on as freezing day from standing - preferably in someone elses car aprt from yours - courtesy cars are ebst for this hehe.

But seriously make sure your cars nice a nd warm before nailing her

MINI JCW
I let her see 7krpm every now and then. Too be honest though I don’t drive the 182 as hard as I thought I would when I first bought it

however I did have a little play with a 328 BMW (R reg) yesterday, not as fast as I thought, I thought it would be pretty equal but I was definitely quicker, I think he was surprised he couldn’t shake off a little blue Clio!!!

Last edited: