ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How often?

RS 182 CUP
How often do you wash your car? Am I sad because I do mine every week? I usually clean in all the door and boot shuts, and polish my shiney bits too, is this a little too far?

SG9 Forester STi
Stuff that, I do mine once every 2 weeks depending how well the dirt is hidden :p

Will you carry on cleaning it that often over the winter?

I used to do my 1.2 and 172 two/three times a week, I've lost all interest in car cleaning though since I bought the 200 for some reason, prefer to just drive it now.

182 Turbo Project
Last time I cleaned the car was about 4 months ago. Stuck it through a car wash 2 weeks ago, far too cold to be f**king about with water etc

RS 182 CUP
Il still do it in the winter, need to keep that corrosive salt away, prob won't be polishing though

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
When it's dirty/ I'm not doing anything, not going to miss out doing something else in the day cos i've got to wash the car.

SG9 Forester STi
Oh and when I say clean it every 2 weeks I mean, jet wash job. A proper polish is for special occasions and then if I feel like it I'll aquawax it because it's easy.

In the winter though, sod it jet wash is all it gets until I warm up again. :)

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
If your gonna be washin it loads over the winter make sure you seal it with regards to the salt etc.

Jap Box
Seal it how?

You need to cover it in cling film and a slanket to make sure it stays warm overnight and stops the cold rain as far as I know.

Nah, I assume some decent coating of wax would do the job?

I was washing mind every week, but seeing as its got cold I havent now for a good 2 weeks, got dirt all up the sides and it looks like its been on a rally course currently :( might treat it to a pressure wash over the weekend possibly, but all the free time ive had ive gone to try clean it and its then started to f**king rain! :(

Clean mine whenever it gets pretty dirty and then do the full job. shampoo, rinse, microfibre, EGP, Wax etc.

Wont be as often now its getting bad and cold. glad it has wax on makes the job easier for just a quick neutral shampoo.

Try to clean mine every week, polish n everything. Always liked a clean car, including the winter but takes little more courage to get out there, lol

Black Gold Trophy
I feel bad if I don't do it atleast once a week. When I had more free time I used to clean it every couple of days, I hate seeing it dirty.
I'm tempted to tuck my 182 away this winter, I hate seeing it get snowed on and dirty etc.

RS 182 CUP
I wish my mrs did it, she wouldn't want to break a nail! I was in the army for 6 years so ain't afraid of a little cold ( I kept all my "extreme cold weather" clothing!) I just hope the fritters don't keep trying to stone chip my car this year!

White clique
Mostly once a week but sometimes less. Washing a car is actually quite bad for it (sounds strange) as this is where most paint damage occurs (obviously you need to get rid of bird lime etc straight away).

I waxed mine last weekend too - will be giving it another layer of wax on Sunday though as i am going to layer it up properly this winter until i have at least 5 layers, weekly as i do my washes for the next few weeks :cool:

Megane 225
Mine gets washed at least once a week! Normally gets a full detail every 3-4 months and a top up wax every month! Just fully detailed it this week, so won't be getting much more than a wash until the spring! She's wearing a nice coat of Swissvax Onyx at the minute!

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Use to wash my first car every 3-4 days when i was at school and had nothing better to do. But that was 4 years ago, Ive washed my Valver 4 times in 7 months lol, i just wait till its so dirty i cant bare to drive it anymore. Interior get done probably once a month though.

If you didn't keep battering the paint weekly by washing it, buffing it, claying it, wanking on it, sanding it down and looking at it under a microscope, the paint wouldn't need protecting from the punishment you keep unleashing on it.

Wash. Drive. Fin.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Try to at least once a week, washing cars in the dark is a pain in the arse though!

RB182cup&golf gti
Get yourself on detailingworld mate. Mine gets washed when i can be arsed which aint often but luckily keep it garaged and plenty of wax on it

If you didn't keep battering the paint weekly by washing it, buffing it, claying it, wanking on it, sanding it down and looking at it under a microscope, the paint wouldn't need protecting from the punishment you keep unleashing on it.

Wash. Drive. Fin.

I think you've misunderstood the above processes. In doing so you keep the paint from looking swirled and hologrammed as much as possible.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My brand spaking 200 cup is about 4 weeks old and I still haven't cleaned it.

I usually clean them every friday at work, but this car (for some unknown reason) I can't be bothered.

I CBA anymore.
I used to wash, polish, protect, window polish, tyre dress etc, but now I only wash it when it looks really disgusting. Sad but true.

I think it depends on the colour too and how long a car takes to look really grubby.

About once every 6 weeks when it looks minging as f**k, i drive on the motorway so as soon as i get to work it looks dirty and skanky anyway, can't see the point.

Have to be very very bored to want to go outside to clean a car though.

No I haven't misunderstood. Swirls are caused by washing.

What creases me up is detailers who buy black cars just so they can remove the swirls that they cause by over-washing. The swirls that no one would even see if they hadn't bought a black car.