ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to change wheel bearing?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hello,

One of my wheel bearings have gone I think. How do I diagnose which wheel it has gone on?

How do I change it? Is it a hard job?

If so how much would I be looking at at a garage? What's the cost of the part?

Sorry for all the Qs :)

Luke xxxx

330i. E30 Touring.
To check, Jack up corner of car and check for play in the wheel..

They're not rocket science, but you'll need a press for the fronts.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
both my fronts need doing, bearings are £25 quid each and take about 1 hour to fit i beleive.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
you dont 'need a press' as such but it helps a hell of a lot!
If you have never done one before i really wouldnt bother they are pain in the arse...
take it to your local cliosport trader

rears are easy as...but the fronts are a biatch without thwe correct tools / equipment

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Thanks for the replys. So if the part is 25 I'd say about 50 pounds labour is max I need to be paying from a garage? Il look around :)

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I think they will be fine luke, Im sure when it was in for service other week the wheels will have had a tugg and when on the ramps.

clio 172 iceburg silver
if its a genuine renault part then you are looking at £65, and about £50 labour, a lot of the garages use patented parts and dont last so long, i took mine to JMS £120 bearing fitting and press, also after taking for a test drive James highlighted a few other probs... Rear bearings are easy got the parts from northwest performance http://www.northwestperformance.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=6_7_86_1&products_id=116

£118 delivered and fitted myself, took about 2 hours and where a doddle, longs you got the right tools/socket 30mm for the hub bolt.. you can remove the front yourself and take the hub to a garage and have them press the bearings out and new ones in to save money...

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
if its a genuine renault part then you are looking at £65, and about £50 labour, a lot of the garages use OEM parts and dont last so long, i took mine to JMS £120 bearing fitting and press, also after taking for a test drive James highlighted a few other probs... Rear bearings are easy got the parts from northwest performance http://www.northwestperformance.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=6_7_86_1&products_id=116

£118 delivered and fitted myself, took about 2 hours and where a doddle, longs you got the right tools/socket 30mm for the hub bolt.. you can remove the front yourself and take the hub to a garage and have them press the bearings out and new ones in to save money...

What do you think OEM means exactly ? You saying you shouldn't use original parts ?? :S

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hello, Me again!!

Iv found out its the one at the back that's gone, but im not sure which side as you can only hear the wining/droning noise when your doing 30mph+, and I can't spin the wheels fast enough to find out which one... Soo...

How much are rear wheel barings, and has anyone got the part number?

Basic guide of how to change it/them and what tools do i need?

Luke :)

S4 Avant
I've got the same problem Luke, except I found new discs with bearings in on eBay for £50 ;)

In regards to tools, I think you need a Keiran and a crate of beer?

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Txt me tomorro lad and i'll get you a price :) i know you can buy the rear discs complete with bearings but i'm sure i can get them seperate too :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Il text you addz... I think im needing some new rear disks anyway so get me a price for both...

Any ideas what fitting is like? I think Graymotorsportmay be a little pissed I keep badgering him to help me with car stuff lol

S4 Avant
Well I'm just looking on the bay now to find a torque wrench, don't want to get the rear hub nuts wrong. Shouldn't be hard.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
if you want the discs with bearings and abs rings then its just bolt on bolt off, dave i can get torque wrench's too you bell x

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I'll get a price tomorro dave, txt me if i forget!

If you jack you're car up and there's play in the rear wheels or you get a whining noise from them then its usually the bearings sadly

clio 172 iceburg silver
for torque wrenchs look on amazon dirt cheap... as fro telling if its a bearing jack up the rear and spin the wheels you will hear a grinding noise instead of a smooth spin.. or while driving listen when you go round bends left and right the noise should stop and then come back depending on what side it is turn left will stop the left side (off side), and turn right will stop the right side (nearside)

Titanium 182
I tried to change a rear wheel bearing, ended up snapping the back of my disc off. Easier just to buy new rear discs with bearings. Trust.

clio 172 iceburg silver
the most important tool you will need is a 30mm socket for the hub nut and a breaker bar/torque wrench and copper grease... check the guide out you will see its easy as took me 2 hours only because of a stuck wheel nut so cudnt get the alloy off till a garages air gunned it for me... if you was closer mate id help ya out, it was fun and satisfying once done....

VRS
unless hav changed the rear disks and any point luke, the cars still running its first set of rears so while your looking at getting the bearings done imo you might as well get 2 new disks with the bearings in :) easier to change and sorts your discs out at the same time :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I thought it was still on it's first set if rears andy, they have quiet a groove on them ATM and was unsure.

Thanks for clearing that up, will 100% get discs now. Handy knowing it's previous owner lol :)

PH1 172 Sport
Definitely make sure you don't over torque them as I did that on mine and they only lasted 15k!