ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to format a Mac?

182 Cup
The Mrs has sold her Mac, but wants to delete all the data on it before it goes. She dragged everything to the trash can (some 550,00 files) and pressed delete. I worked out from the speed it was taking that it would have been about 4 days to complete!

So what's the fast way (if there is one)? I've tried going into the Hard drive>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility, here there are two drives listed - 76.7GB IBM-IC325L09OA.. and Macintosh HD, but the drop down menu for Volume format is greyed out, as is the name. All the Erase options are greyed out too?!

What's going on? Help Please!

If you're running Lion, you won't have an install DVD.

So boot, hold Alt. Select the recovery drive. Disk Utility. Erase. Fresh install.

Has she updated it/bought it recently?

Top left, click the Apple logo and then 'About this Mac' is the first option. What number does it say as the version?

Ah, that's Leopard then. So it's old. Lol.

You sure she has no discs anywhere?

What I originally said should work still for Leopard, but I'm not 100% certain.

182 Cup
OK, tried pressing Alt, and it shows a screen with a small round arrow button, a small picture of a hard drive, and a small arrow button pointing left. What now? (Mrs. still searching the house for a disk! Lol!)

182 Cup
Clicking the hard drive icon does nothing, clicking the round arrow just brings up a little watch and the other arrow takes me to the normal home screen.

Hang on... She's found a disk!

182 Cup
Put the disk in and it's booted up, the only difference I see is the disk icon is on the desktop though - just go in via that?

Put disc in, reboot and hold C.

Click on small arrow that appears under the disc icon (probably be icon on the right)

May be a few steps about language etc... cant remember!

Then go to disk utilities which will be at the top of the screen before you start fully installing software - you can wipe HD from there then proceed with fresh install of SL.