ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to get laptop back on the go after spilling cup of tea on keyboard

After a incident on Sat night where i spilt a cup of tea on my Dell laptop which went all over the keyboard and switched it off.

It now won't turn on at all, even after being in the cupboard where the hot water tank is in since saturday night with the battery, keyboard etc removed to dry it out :(

Any ideas what i could have damaged, short circuited or fried on it to stop it turning on ?

I have tried a new fully charged battery with no luck and the mains charger is working too.

I am looking through the home contents insurance at the moment to see if its covered which it probably is, but i'd rather get this one up and going
again if possible to save claims against insurance etc etc.

It depends how far in it got. Is the power button on the keyboard, or seperate? (You'll know this if you've removed it)

You may just get away with a new keyboard but if the button's seperate its probably got onto the main board and fried it.

Titanium 182
Give it to a mate and say "My alienware laptop got nicked" to the insurance company :rasp:

Octy VRS
delorean.jpg

It depends how far in it got. Is the power button on the keyboard, or seperate? (You'll know this if you've removed it)

You may just get away with a new keyboard but if the button's seperate its probably got onto the main board and fried it.

Its a Dell Studio laptop where the power button is seperate from the keyboard (built into the hinge).

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/laptop_studio?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~ck=mn

So i'm guessing the mainboard is fried :(

Give it to a mate and say "My alienware laptop got nicked" to the insurance company :rasp:

Lol :rasp:

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
Have you tried to power it on since soaking it? Stick it in a cardboard box...and with the lid open, cover it in uncooked rice (rice absorbs moisture in the air, like silica gel) then try it?

Alternatively, i could possibly have a spare motherboard or any other bits you may need as i buy and sell laptops...i could possibly fix it for you if you like? You would just need to post it to me, and give me a couple of days...