ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to pop, without the map..

RS 182
Maybe a silly question/request..

i currently have a scorpion decat system on my 182, with the original map on the ecu. I've noticed when the car is driven from cold, it kinda pops and bangs a few times, but this only last about 20 seconds, or about 4-5 pops.. Then it stops. But i love hearing it, and get kinda annoyed when it stops :p

the question is, is there any way i could get the car to pop more often, without the Map?
I was planning in replacing the centre silencer with a straight through pipe, think this would make any difference?

cheers in advance

330i. E30 Touring.
Not much of a difference to pops and bangs tbh.

If that's what you want, get yourself a pops and bangs remap.

RS 182
See i dont want the pop and bang map, cause i've saw the devistating mpg when thats installed! Mind you, i dont want a knackered coil pack either! Haha

big boost cup
Can't see it being that bad DannyR was getting high 20s low 30s with a 330hp supercharged one

PB Clio 172
I have heard it can bring down your mpg but not got a remap so can't comfirm this. Could imagine it would its throwing fuel out of your exhaust!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I only fuels the over run >4krpm. Bad mpg will be cause by Ali G flooring it everywhere just to make fake motorsport sounds.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I have p&b map, from what I can tell, it has made very little difference to the mpg. tbh the difference that is seen is more due to me revving higher at times just to make it pop a bit past 4k (it goes down to about 34/35mpg if I do this often). Under normal driving, i'm seeing between 36 to 40 mpg.

RS 182
Well i'm returning about 33mpg at the moment, and rarely see more than that! What do you think of the pop and bangs 'the fatty'?? I know its a bit of a hit or miss with some people!

172 + 350z
I was going to get the map but a lot of people said you would get sick of it. I see there point, yer it would be fun but after time it would be annoying.

BG 182
I've heard you can blip the throttle quickly when reasonably high in the rev range and might get a little pop..

clio 182 sport
You will/ would get sick of it. But with the RS tuner in only takes a few minutes to change it back.

Nope i havent got bored of it, it only pops and bangs when you want it to really, you can drive around normally and not notice it. i love it.

monaco 172
Mine used to pop and bang on a cold startup with my decat supersport.

Since I had my remap I haven't heard a bang since, probably due to betTer fueling on a cold start.

Even when really giving it some it doesn't pop, sounds a little raspy but you will need the map of you want proper bangs.

​I would only do i if you own a rs tuner though as you will probably get sick of it and want toto change back.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Nope i havent got bored of it, it only pops and bangs when you want it to really, you can drive around normally and not notice it. i love it.

Lol at Swede cup comment.

No it doesn't. It pops and bangs over 4.5k, so as my 172 is a weekend toy/ track car it lives above 4.5k so is always popping and banging.

RS 182
Well the plan would be to buy the rsTuner, apply the map, then sell it.. But as you's say, if a month down the line i get sick of it, the tuner would come in handy again!

Mine used to pop and bang on a cold startup with my decat supersport.

Since I had my remap I haven't heard a bang since, probably due to betTer fueling on a cold start.

Even when really giving it some it doesn't pop, sounds a little raspy but you will need the map of you want proper bangs.

​I would only do i if you own a rs tuner though as you will probably get sick of it and want toto change back.

Agreed!

On the standard map mine used to pop & bang awesome on cold startup (just driving normally), that's the only thing I miss from going to RSTuner.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Well i'm returning about 33mpg at the moment, and rarely see more than that! What do you think of the pop and bangs 'the fatty'?? I know its a bit of a hit or miss with some people!

I like the smaller pops it makes, which is what it will do most of eh time if you quick enough on the gear change and don't let the revs free from 6K+ (or back of the accelerator with the revs about5.5K. If you back off the accelerator between 4 and 5K, you get a really nice constant popping (not too loud though). tbh your backbox makes a big difference as well, mine sounds more like a shotgun on the big pops, where as Aarons sounded more compressed/controlled (better than mine imo). I think he had a ktec exhaust and I have a blueflame exhaust.

I have taken it off a few times, but i'm sure my RON98 map doesn't feel as good as the p&b map. I don't know if its because my p&b map is much newer. I probably wont sell my RStuner as it really is a great tool to go along with the car, so for me its a matter of 10mins to sap them over as I please.

Also for the 'its a try hard mod' comments, I have it because I enjoy the effect it makes - I don't care what others think of it (if they love it or hate it, its all the same to me because I like it (at times)).

Oh and i'm 27, not exactly a 'kid'

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
also I doubt anyone is getting 'bangs' off the normal map. small pops maybe, but not bangs. When the p&b map 'bangs', flames come out the exhaust.

Literally the most anti-social and annoying mod that's currently a "craze" amongst people

I had to sit at a car show the other weekend in the middle of a group of idiots all revving and popping their shitty little cars. It was all I could do not to smash their heads in their car doors.
It's so f*cking pointless.

Arctic Blue 182
I have a straight through middle section and that doesn't aid it popping and banging, just get the burbling sound when it's cold and the odd pop

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Literally the most anti-social and annoying mod that's currently a "craze" amongst people

I had to sit at a car show the other weekend in the middle of a group of idiots all revving and popping their s**tty little cars. It was all I could do not to smash their heads in their car doors.
It's so f*cking pointless.

you probably shouldn't be going to that sort of car show if it annoys you... and its only anti-social if you use it in anti-social situations. I wouldn't class mine as anti social as I only every really use that rev range when im playing on the b roads away from civilisation.

It's not just car shows - every body has this nowadays like they think fake anti-lag is cool.

I can't help but find myself hoping that a piston jumps up through the bonnet.

Why not a fake turbo as well? That'd be awesome. Maybe some neverbeen stickers on the boot?

:(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pops and bangs map makes NO different to fuel economy other than when over 4Krpm and at zero throttle angle, so nothing you are going to notice in normal driving.

If you keep booting it along then back off to make it pop and bang then that change in driving style will of course lower your mpg.

I also believe the bore wash can accelerate engine wear, so wouldnt personally recomend one to anyone who cares about their engine long term.

Listerine & Poledo
Get it into a garage to get it looked at mate.

Or get a massive wing on the boot and a Motorsport sunstrip to compliment it

Mine burbles and pops when i let off the throttle. Not massively loud thank god.

Also does it when changing up sometimes, don't ask me how lol. For some reason it becomes more apparent when running tesco 99.

K-tec ultra supersport system with ultra sports cat and 98 ron fastchip map.

RS 182
Thanks for the constructive (and not so constructive) comments, thats what i was looking for tbh.. I know it's not for everone, i can understand that it may become annoying. Yet as already stated above, if it makes the owner happy, then who cares!

If i buy a tuner, at the price it is, i probably would keep it, so i had the option to swap it over as i please..

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
the only reason I haven't sold my RS tuner is because of the fault reading ability. It's annoying you have to purchase extra modules for abs and airbag though.

Live data is very useful at diagnosing specific part malfunctions that you may not be able to pick up otherwise.

Mapping is an added bonus of it though

RS 182
Yeah it seems like it could be a handy little tool..

if i buy an rstuner for around £100, how much will i be expecting to pay for the p&b map? And will the original map that my car runs be open already if i wish to switch back?

You'd have to buy the license for the RS Tuner because it'll be locked to the previous owners car.
Just get someone on here to send you the P&B and Performance maps, don't necessarily have to buy them :quiet:
My RS Tuner I got off here the previous owner sent me all his maps on a CD.

RS 182
You'd have to buy the license for the RS Tuner because it'll be locked to the previous owners car.
Just get someone on here to send you the P&B and Performance maps, don't necessarily have to buy them :quiet:
My RS Tuner I got off here the previous owner sent me all his maps on a CD.
So even if i got the maps from the previous owner, would i still have to buy the licence?