ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to pop, without the map..

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I also believe the bore wash can accelerate engine wear, so wouldnt personally recomend one to anyone who cares about their engine long term.

do you really think bore wash is possible/happening on this map? its coming off if it is... I was under the impression it didn't cause engine damage?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
do you really think bore wash is possible/happening on this map? its coming off if it is... I was under the impression it didn't cause engine damage?

Yes I do, when you back off at high rpm it is putting in lots of fuel, combined with holding the throttle slightly open to swallow air, and then deliberately firing the spark late to make it bang, I dont see how that cant result in bore wash personally.

Its deliberately making your engine not fire correctly to make the sounds.

Andrew Fountains car for example had worn out the rings in around 60K miles and was using this map, and that was maintained absolutely regardless of cost, as both his 182 and V6 want for nothing!

Dont get me wrong, Im sure it will take ages to have a negative effect, but its certainly going to do more harm than good.

Clio 182 FF
+1 on the RSTuner :). I've kept mine for error codes etc. Yes it's a shame about the licensing needed to switch between cars (I'd have done the 200 with it too otherwise), but I guess it's just them wanting to make some money on second hand sales.

Also, in theory you'll soon be able to give it to your local RR/Trusted mapper and get them to custom map it with the RSTuner Suite.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Is it miss-timed or just basic over-fuelling? Which okay might kill a cat but isn't really going to affect MPG, my car came from the factory with overrun pop and crackle with no adverse affects.

I'm not sure regarding the map but I guess it's both over fuelling and timing. Has anyone got aftermarket cams and then used vernier pulleys and if so what amount of overlap?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Pops and bangs remap surely can't affect timing though for eg?

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Will a car pass the emissions test like this though? surely the CO readings will go through the roof, anyone with this have a data tool to pull the live data from the car?

You'll also be screwed if VOSA find you on the road too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pops and bangs remap surely can't affect timing though for eg?

Retarding the ignition timing is the normal way to get banging to happen on a map mate.

Its also the reason antilag makes so much noise.

Dont confuse it with cam timing, thats totally different.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's an over run map so shouldn't effect emissions testing. Iirc MOT is at something like 3.5/4k rpm for emissions and then idle.

It switches off at 4K IIRC, and MOT test is done below that, so I agree it wont have any effect on MOT other than if its already killed your cat of course!

Fiesta ST2 MP215
It switches off at 4K IIRC, and MOT test is done below that, so I agree it wont have any effect on MOT other than if its already killed your cat of course!

Oh I see, So to get this Chavvy pop and bang crap you have to basically muller the car all the time to enjoy a little crackle? maybe this is where the poor fuel consumption comes from - altered driving habits?

Sounds like a waste of time if you only reap the " benefits" at higher revs, especially when the car needs it down low.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh I see, So to get this Chavvy pop and bang crap you have to basically muller the car all the time to enjoy a little crackle? maybe this is where the poor fuel consumption comes from - altered driving habits?

Sounds like a waste of time if you only reap the " benefits" at higher revs, especially when the car needs it down low.

I dont think that the car "needs" pops and bangs low down either TBH.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just a nice burble from some throttle bodies and agressive cams :)

Chip what exhaust do you run and what's the noise like turbo'ing the f4r?

Mine is a 2.5" system with a single large backbox mate.

Noise isnt too bad as the turbo works quite well as a silcencer. Low 90s normally on most noise tests.

You'll be at Bedford for renaultsport evening? Be interested in having a look at that engine bay if you'd be so kind? :)

Im just weighing up exhaust options at the moment. I will have two systems by the end of the week hopefully and noise limits will play a large factor.

Anyways sorry off topic.

RS 182
I think my plan now is to keep the decat on, replace the centre silencer, buy an rsTuner, and install the p&b!
yeah it's gonna be quite loud, but the clio is just a toy, so i'm not too fussed!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I think you might just end up ruining the cat.

If your gonna do it, decat it :eek:
he said he was going to keep the decat ON... lol. :)

Well I have just been playing with my maps and am having some very interesting results. The OEM map gives the 5K kick (4.5k dip) a lot more then my second hand copy of the RON98 map, but the RON98 map doesn't really seem to give any extra umph. My new(ish) copy of the p&b map though however feels completely different than the RON98 map, which I don't understand as they are supposed to be the same performance wise! I have emailed henk to see if he can shed some light on it, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a new/better version of the RON98 map available (to the same spec as my p&b map)...

RS 182
he said he was going to keep the decat ON... lol. :) Well I have just been playing with my maps and am having some very interesting results. The OEM map gives the 5K kick (4.5k dip) a lot more then my second hand copy of the RON98 map, but the RON98 map doesn't really seem to give any extra umph. My new(ish) copy of the p&b map though however feels completely different than the RON98 map, which I don't understand as they are supposed to be the same performance wise! I have emailed henk to see if he can shed some light on it, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a new/better version of the RON98 map available (to the same spec as my p&b map)...

something doesn't sound right! What map have you been running mostly?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
5k kick = lack of power under 5k = bad map

I wish people would call it a "sub 5k torque hole" rather than a 5k kick, as holding back all the power till 5k isnt a good thing, lol.

The pop and bang map does it the same way they all do it - when you get in high revs and drop the load (come off the gas) it retards the ignition massively, so it squirts fuel into the cylinder but waits so long that the exhaust valves have started to open by the time it sparks, which chucks a big bang out the exhaust

There is a reason he used to advertise that the pop&bang map destroyed cats...

It's really NOT WORTH IT - in the same way that if you're running under 250bhp there's no advantage to removing your cat either other than it goes "well loud innit"

FYI.. from being behind Chip - his car sounds nuts lol

BG 182 FF
I must say ive had the pop and bang map for few weeks now and very rarely do i go to red line or 5-6k + but i do like the pop on gearchange. The overunning popping/banging sounds good but can see it getting tedious after a few months.

Has anyone got a copy of the 98ron map they wouldnt mind sending me.

I have a pop and bang but would like to see if it does feel any different.