ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to reduce LOUDNESS of exhaust

Mk4 .:R32
Whats the best way to reduce the noise of my GDI exhaust. It's pretty loud on the m'way now its done over 2k miles. Would insultating the boot and under the rear seats help??

SLK 350
Whats the best way to reduce the noise of my GDI exhaust. It's pretty loud on the m'way now its done over 2k miles. Would insultating the boot and under the rear seats help??

Yes to a limited extent, but best way would be to add a larger baffle. One good thing about OE is they don't drone.

VaVa
You got a decat? Mines loud with a decat.

Sounds nice though, but I'm nor sure my neighbours are too impressed @ 6 in the morning lol.

You got a decat? Mines loud with a decat.

Sounds nice though, but I'm nor sure my neighbours are too impressed @ 6 in the morning lol.

nope, I was going to get a silenced decat but that would make it even louder. It just drowns a bit a cruising speeds on the motorway, so around 70-80 mph. Its nice and quiet betwen 30-50. Seems to be quiet...er above 80 as well. Not that I ever do above 80, or 70 for that matter :approve:

172 phase2 since2003
i get the same withmy scorpion exhaust it does start to annoy you on long motor way runs!!!!!!!!!

mini cooper (RIP 172)
i know what you mean, ive got the gdi one and i think it sounds great when bootin it, but for a to b drivin its a little loud! manly on the Mway its boomy:eek:

ive got a sports cat on tho

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Let me get this straight. You paid a lot of money for a "performance" exhaust. Now you're complaining its too loud. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. That's exactly what they're designed to do: make a tiny amount more power and a large amount more noise. There's an obvious "fix". Put a standard exhaust back on.

I'm sorry for laughing. There's an old saying about getting old. You know you're getting old when you can't understand why people spend money replacing a perfectly good muffler with one that doesn't work. I'm obviously getting old. And if you're complaining about your car being too noisy maybe the "problem" is that you're growing up too.

RSC 182 Cup
Does the GDI have a centre resonator? If not put one in, the largest (longest) one possible- that should help. A straight through design (eg. Magnaflow or similar) should make next to no difference to the power output but should help with drone.

VaVa
Yeah it's got a centre silencer. It was designed in conjunction with Piper I believe. Mines decatted and it's not too loud. But then I don't use the car for motorway journeys.

People seem to want the impossible from exhausts. They want it loud and sporty when booting it and quiet as a mouse when cruising. And they also want to gain some bhp into the bargain.

Let me get this straight. You paid a lot of money for a "performance" exhaust. Now you're complaining its too loud. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. That's exactly what they're designed to do: make a tiny amount more power and a large amount more noise. There's an obvious "fix". Put a standard exhaust back on.

I'm sorry for laughing. There's an old saying about getting old. You know you're getting old when you can't understand why people spend money replacing a perfectly good muffler with one that doesn't work. I'm obviously getting old. And if you're complaining about your car being too noisy maybe the "problem" is that you're growing up too.

Yeah cos the standard exhaust was that good that it fell off and I was dragging it along the floor.

And if you read my post for you f**king honky, it said I think it's too loud on the motorway, I love it otherwise. It's when cruising between 70-80.

Theres an old saying about getting old. Shut up, put your slippers on, and go and watch antiques roadshow.

RSC 182 Cup
So you've got this?

21129.jpg

The description on their site says it's 2.5" which isn't going to help with the noise situation. Both the muffler/ resonator are straight through designs and not very big which also wouldn't help.

Possibly a larger rear muffler with more sound absorbing material in it would be worthwhile? A baffled rear muffler would definitely help but also most likely kill any power gain. Space for a larger centre resonator underneath is fairly tight so you haven't really got too many options.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
People seem to want the impossible from exhausts. They want it loud and sporty when booting it and quiet as a mouse when cruising. And they also want to gain some bhp into the bargain.

yep and be cheap;)

i love the sound of my gdi and it had made the car pull better, ask fuel slut:rasp:

but its just sittin at the same speed for a long time that pisses me off:eek: