ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to Remove Uprated Engine Map

RB 182 Cup
My son has fallen on hard times, so to help him out (as he's lost his car) I'm giving him my RB 182 Cup.

The only problem is he has a bit of a checkered driving history and I need to remove current engine map and put it back to standard.

I'm guessing I need to buy and RSTuner module as this is what was used by the previous owner, but is it that simple please?

Thanks

John

330i. E30 Touring.
Surely it makes little to no difference?

Whether he has 170bhp or 175bhp, he could still potentially do the same checkered things.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'd wager that there's at least 25 RS clio's driving around with fast chip map's and owners have got a clue. It makes no real difference, it's not a turbo car where it's going to make 25 horse power difference. Don't worry about it.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
You would need your original map back up, if you don't have this then you cannot put it back to original.

Wouldn't worry about insurance pretty hard to tell it's there without the software and then it's all just calibration code.

RB 182 Cup
You would need your original map back up, if you don't have this then you cannot put it back to original.

Wouldn't worry about insurance pretty hard to tell it's there without the software and then it's all just calibration code.

Does that mean I'm stuck with what I've got? as the rstuner that did it is long gone.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Absofcukinglutely wouldn't even bother.

I've driven a fair few RS Clios and mapped or not, they all feel slightly different. As Rob says, it's not like the map gives the car any more power really. Having 1gal of fuel in the tank vs a full tank makes about as much difference physically and psychologically.

If someone told me my old ph1 standard was mapped and had 200 hp, and the gf's mapped 182 was standard, I'd have believed them.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Absofcukinglutely wouldn't even bother.

I've driven a fair few RS Clios and mapped or not, they all feel slightly different. As Rob says, it's not like the map gives the car any more power really. Having 1gal of fuel in the tank vs a full tank makes about as much difference physically and psychologically.

If someone told me my old ph1 standard was mapped and had 200 hp, and the gf's mapped 182 was standard, I'd have believed them.

This. If it is insured as mapped, then just tell them it's been returned to standard. I can guarantee it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference in a crash and I doubt they'd check it either.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Does that mean I'm stuck with what I've got? as the rstuner that did it is long gone.

I'd actually think so, you'd need another tuner for sure and to unlock it ( personally I think it's a con you should be able to have a license for your car, technically the code the person you sold it to would be the one to unlock it again as it's per chassis number. and you should have the original back up on the laptop you used in the first place, but a bit of hassle for something they can't really check, if there is a bad crash just jam a screw driver in the OBD port and twist and just "Oh well it's always been like that" :D

Buy a second hand tuner or borrow someones and buy an unlock code. Contact Henk and he will sort original map out. Tbh i have the standard map on file whether it would work or not i don't know.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Buy a second hand tuner or borrow someones and buy an unlock code. Contact Henk and he will sort original map out. Tbh i have the standard map on file whether it would work or not i don't know.

There were 2 types on original maps though, you'd need to know which one you had, I have mine still. can you remember what is was Deer Dodger? I can send mine over by email if it helps.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
remember you had to have a set one of these and use the correct calibration for whatever one you had, I had to mail Henk a shot of my ECU data for the calibration, should apply in the reverse when taking someone elses back up.
http://www.fastchip.nl/manual/ section 5.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
If he can get one and read the ECU it can be done as it's already explained and I still have the stuff from Henk but needs the Tuner first, if of course decides to do it.

Cup In bits
Wouldn't worry about it, insurance accessors in the past have failed to notice exhausts, springs, wheels and other small mods I have had fitted to cars. Its a 4k car max at the end of the day and they will look at it from across the yard if its smashed and say yeppp that's a right off and certainly won't be getting diagnostics equipment to check for a generic remap.

RB 182 Cup
There were 2 types on original maps though, you'd need to know which one you had, I have mine still. can you remember what is was Deer Dodger? I can send mine over by email if it helps.

I really don't know I'm afraid, it was mapped by the previous owner and I'm not in contact.

RB 182 Cup
Are you sure it's even been mapped??? My old car was advertised a while back as remapped, but it's not, it's just what people want to hear.

I honestly couldn't say, I did believe the seller, but I have no proof.

It does appear to have a raised rev limit as it doesn't kick in at 7250, but I've never tested at what point it does, I feared a wallet bashing mechanical disaster!

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Easy to tell mate. Switch on it will idle bang on a visual 1k normally its slightly lower. How bad is the morning kangarooing? Since the map mine has practically stopped. If it's bouncing all over the road when you try and maintain a steady say 10mph in 1st then its most likely isn't.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Deer dodger, have you declared the map to your own insurance company?

Thats the key point, if its listed as having a map by his current insurers, its relatively easy for the new insurers to prove in court it was misinsured the next time deliberately if there was some horrific accident and they found proof the map wasnt put back to standard and the map hasnt been declared.

RB 182 Cup
Thanks everyone, I've emailed fastchip and await their reply regarding putting it back to standard. If possible, I'll buy a used RSTuner and a map from fastchip.

Cheers

John