ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to replace alternator

Hi there, are there any guides or can anyone provide basic information on how to change my alternator?

Is it the same as changing it on any other car or being a Renaultsport, it's an absolute ballache?

Is there anything I need to worry about? Heard people mention tensioning etc.

Megane dci 130
It's been a while since Iv done one on a sport but here goes

Remove offside wheel and arch liner
Remove front bumper
Remove offside headlight
Support engine
Remove engine mount
Use a 3/8 bit to turn the spring loaded tensioner to release belt tension
Undo 13mm pinch bolt on top of the alternator
Undo 16mm bolt from the bracket to engine
Remove upper tensioner spring bolt
Remove 16mm bolt from cambelt cover holding the big bracket on
Remove 13mm bolt from bracket
Remove 2 electrical connections from alternator
Remove main 16mm long bolt from bottom of alternator.
Remove alternator

It's been a while since Iv done one on a sport but here goes

Remove offside wheel and arch liner
Remove front bumper
Remove offside headlight
Support engine
Remove engine mount
Use a 3/8 bit to turn the spring loaded tensioner to release belt tension
Undo 13mm pinch bolt on top of the alternator
Undo 16mm bolt from the bracket to engine
Remove upper tensioner spring bolt
Remove 16mm bolt from cambelt cover holding the big bracket on
Remove 13mm bolt from bracket
Remove 2 electrical connections from alternator
Remove main 16mm long bolt from bottom of alternator.
Remove alternator
Brilliant, cheers!

I'll be using the existing belt as I've only just had it replaced. Are there any problems with doing that? How (much) do I tension it back up without using the proper tools?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Aux belt is a right pain to route ime.

We changed mine the first time ourselves, the next 3 times we let the garage do it lol.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Mine needs done but i would rather wait and get it all done at the same time as stuff trying to change one of them.

Good Luck

340i
It should only take 3hrs~ as a first attempt, if you are handy with spanners to change the alternator!

340i
You should be ok then, if it was much older I would have thought about replacing the aux belt kit.

Titanium 182
id get a new belt , i think Gray means if it was older he would get the pully and the tensioner done as well

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'd definitely go for a new belt for peace of mind. You won't need to replace the pulleys or tensioners.

340i
Definitely fit a new belt, the rest is fine.

If it was much older I would have replaced the whole lot... belt, tensioner, idler.. The aux kit.

Good to hear! Cheers for all the replies + advice lads, I'll crack on with it tomorrow (on my birthday :dapprove:).

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
FYI, I'd charge 2 hours labour to replace the alternator and full aux kit. wheel and headlight don't need touching, just bumper and slam panel off then raise the engine enough on a jack (carefully, sumps can crack so spread the load with a block of wood, and jack on thestrongerst part and not in the middle) to get to the aux tensioner

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Was just going to post, I paid 2 hours labour for an alternator and aux belt change.

Clio 200 Silverstone
I replaced mine at the weekend mate. PM if want any info, it's easy enough to do when got access to it

Replaced it now and it's still doing the same thing. We've tested all the earths and they are fine.

This leads me to believe it's either;

a dodgy replacement alternator
or
the thin wire that leads to it is corroded, so it's making the battery light come on as it thinks it's not getting charge so causing the alternator to not work. We stripped the wire back and it's still playing up though.

Has anyone any ideas, or other suggestions?

Cheers for all the help x

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Replaced it now and it's still doing the same thing. We've tested all the earths and they are fine.

This leads me to believe it's either;

a dodgy replacement alternator
or
the thin wire that leads to it is corroded, so it's making the battery light come on as it thinks it's not getting charge so causing the alternator to not work. We stripped the wire back and it's still playing up though.

Has anyone any ideas, or other suggestions?

Cheers for all the help x

Ah s**t...sorry to hear. Where did you get the alternator from? If its from Renparts it should have 3 months warranty (in case it is screwed) As silly as it might sound...what is the voltage of the battery? As if its been taking a beating, the voltage could be pretty low and it hasn't had enough time to charge itself up to around 12v? (Just a thought)

I've been assured it's a reconditioned unit and has covered 2k since being done, so it seems unlikely that it's at fault after hearing that. Running out of ideas now unless it's the wire being corroded that's tricking the battery into thinking it's not getting any charge, and hence the alternator not actually charging it.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Nice one fella.

Drove past yours at weekend after I had been to Marks

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Cracking...at least you got to the bottom of it...as I wont jump start your motor at CSS ;)

Cracking...at least you got to the bottom of it...as I wont jump start your motor at CSS ;)
Haha should be good for another few years yet! :)

After not driving it for over 2 weeks... I've fallen in love with it all over again. Was gonna get rid but I'm glad I didn't. Trophy <3

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Haha should be good for another few years yet! :)

After not driving it for over 2 weeks... I've fallen in love with it all over again. Was gonna get rid but I'm glad I didn't. Trophy <3

Love rekindling the RS romance when you've not been in her for a while.