ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to run in a new 182

Boxster S

Hey!

Just signed up for this forum after ordering my 182 in black which get delievered next Friday.

Just wondering if anybody had any hints or tips as to how best to run in a brand new car? Does anybody have any experience of what they should and shouldnt do?

Just for the discussions sake, I used to drive an 01 Ibiza Cupra which I loved, so Im looking forward to the Clio. It took ages to choose as it was my last choice, but was the best drive...

tiTTy & SV650

welcome, some say thrash it but I suggest varying the revs a lot, the manual tells you to keep revs right down for so many miles and not to exceed _ _ mph but its OK to push it harder, just dont rev the tits out of it when the engines cold.

enjoy :cool:

Ive had my 182 for two weeks, I think some people say keep below 3500 rpm and dont go above 80 mph. The dealer said not to worry about running in, but I dont think he knew what he was talking about as he also said that it had an 18,000 mile service interval, which it doesnt.

I have been using the engine to its fullest when warmed up and tried to use a lot of engine braking and using a lower gear than I normally would.

[Edited by TheHelpfulBear on 5/11/2005 1:46:20 PM typo]

Ziel Nurburgring

From cold, to the limiter in every gear and then back down the using the gearbox to slow you. Why do you think that F1 teams rev the engines in the garages?

Seriously, wait till its warm and vary the Revs, dont to be afraid to go above 5K rpm, just dont stay there all the time.

The fact that the engine will already have been run on a dyno on the rev limiter for an extended period of time should tell you something...

Had my Cup 2 weeks now,told to keep revs below 4000 for 600 miles but got bored after 200 so now let it run to red line every now and then. Only trouble is its made my chipped 307 D-Turbo seem sooo slow.

I read in a car magazine that they basically "run in" the components when they are made these days, and that going easy for too long actually harms the car as it has a polishing action on the components. Therefore giving it a reasonable thrashing is ok, AS LONG as you let the thing warm up first of course.

Quote: Originally posted by Penfold1977 on 11 May 2005

Cheers for that, Ill try and behave in it. Should be good fun.

Has anybody here had any experience of the Ibizas?

I havent had experience of the ibiza cupras (99-2002 models) but id like to as its the next car im looking to pick up! how did u find ownership, performance etc mate?

Titanium 182

Quote: Originally posted by Penfold1977 on 11 May 2005

Cheers for that, Ill try and behave in it. Should be good fun.

Has anybody here had any experience of the Ibizas?
Ibizas I should say so. Amnesia, Eden, Pacha, space, es paradis..... or do you mean the seat??? lol

Boxster S

I really liked the Ibiza, took me ages to find anything better then it. I think its got more pull then a CTR from about 2-4000rpm, more fun then a mini.

Mine has lived on the motorway and its just as at home on the back roads.

AS for ownership its been good, SEAT UK are normally quite helpful, some of the dealers arent the best. But I didn;t have much trouble with mine so I only saw them for services.

Mine is up for sale at the moment, the pics are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/cloud34/http://www.flickr.com/photos/cloud34/ pm me if you want anymore details, but Id recommend one.

so it seems you have two choices on running in. You either follow the manual or you do what the fiddle you please. I have never read such a load of uninformed tosh in my life. Not one of the conributers here has any evidence or even engineering logic behind what they say.

You just need to plump for your way!

Graham

There been topics in the subject in the past the proper way is in the first 25 miles or less put some real load n the engine say 2nd and 3rd gear from 2k to the redline or least 5~6k thsi will help the pistons rings make a good seal in the liners so you wont get any lost pressure going past the rings when combution takes place. Also will help ensure low oil burn (since the rings are proply bedded in to the liners) and increase mpg since no wasted burning fuel is going round the rings in the engine.
The engines arnt dynamed before being stuck in the engine there just dropped straight in so you still have a running in period.
The reson your told not to hammer it is because firstly if things breaktheyll break early in the cars lifeand if rpm are lower repair costs are lower for Renault. Also so many people would crash as normally most people are gettign a quicker car and the extra acceleration in a new unfemelliar car would cause a load of accidents which they could be blamed for.

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 11 May 2005

There been topics in the subject in the past the proper way is in the first 25 miles or less put some real load n the engine say 2nd and 3rd gear from 2k to the redline or least 5~6k thsi will help the pistons rings make a good seal in the liners so you wont get any lost pressure going past the rings when combution takes place. Also will help ensure low oil burn (since the rings are proply bedded in to the liners) and increase mpg since no wasted burning fuel is going round the rings in the engine.
Edde thanks, im getting a recon "new" 172 engine which needs "running in".. Would you say it best for me to do it the way youve described above?.. Also, what about over 25 miles??

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 11 May 2005
Quote: Originally posted by edde on 11 May 2005There been topics in the subject in the past the proper way is in the first 25 miles or less put some real load n the engine say 2nd and 3rd gear from 2k to the redline or least 5~6k thsi will help the pistons rings make a good seal in the liners so you wont get any lost pressure going past the rings when combution takes place. Also will help ensure low oil burn (since the rings are proply bedded in to the liners) and increase mpg since no wasted burning fuel is going round the rings in the engine.
[/QUOTE]Edde thanks, im getting a recon "new" 172 engine which needs "running in".. Would you say it best for me to do it the way youve described above?.. Also, what about over 25 miles??

You need to do it in under 25 miles as this is about ho long the rings can be molded after this they become to hard and cannot be made to make good seals. After 25 miles Id just treat it normally never labour it in any gear or let the revs drop low never leave it crucisng for ages at one rpm and use the full rpm range once a week or so when its warm.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 11 May 2005

Freds got a good running in program :)
what??? the weld the accelerator pedal to the floor (before you start the engine) process???

works well

Boxster S

What about fuel, does anybody use Super Unleaded in the car?

Have to disagree about this thread being rubbish, think its been quite helpful the theme seems to be that the engine needs to be worked during its early days. Just not from cold and not for long periods of time.

CTR

Agree with Penfold that the thread is useful to new owners - picked up my new 182 on Friday and already done 400 completely unnecessary miles!

There are threads on fuels - most people seem to use Shell Optimax - better performance, allegedly better fuel economy and better for your engine.

On a related note, whats the view about a 1000 mile oil change on a new 182? A couple of mates have recommended it, but I cant see any older threads on the subject.

Remapped derv Golf

Well my Cup had the wrong grade oil in it for Renault.

Was miles to thin! I changed it after a year and good job I did!

Good old Renault.

CTR

Penfold - cheers mate. And enjoy the new car - I was stunned at how much attention mine seems to get on the road, and it deserves every bit of it!

Penfold,

Just sold my ibiza cupra which was REVOd. Put my deposit down for an inferno clio with cup spoiler and suspension pack today.

Cant wait to drive something which handles again!

Boxster S

I cant wait to get my new 182, just under 2 weeks until it turns up now. Just sold my Cupra, still looks good when she is polished up though, although it shows up all the car park nicks!!

I hope I dont miss the way the Cupra pulled in 2nd though, drove lots of other cars that couldnt match that. But it should be fun to go round corners and not feel like you are going to bounce off the road!!