ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to test a handbrake for MOT?

Clio Sport 172
My Girlfriends corsa failed MOT last week on Park brake efficiency at 10%. I ve just cleaned the shoes and hub surfaces with emory cloth as they were shiney/glazed and adjusted both sides, theres about 3-4mm of material on the shoes so still a load of life in them.. what I want to know is, is there anyway I can test the handbrake before it goes back in for the retest tomorow? I ve had the handbrake on which comes up about 6 clicks and in first gear try pulling away and it holds, but obviously more revs and they start creaking and moving slightly (as you would expect).. Any suggestions?

Black 197
I think it should be 3 clicks from memory,

Adjust the cable and if it dont sort it then you may need to replace the cable as it may be stretched due to use over the years

Hope that helps

Clio Sport 172
yeah it should be 4-6 clicks and hold did try adjusting anymore mate
i ve been cleaning and adjusting the shoes today, it comes up about 4-5 clicks and holds on the hils by me, but dont know how else to test it? Think the cable might need changing?

RS CLIO 197
make sure the cable is free and that the brakes havent been adjusted on the handbrake cable - slacken the cable off - adjust the shoes so they are just touching the drum but it still turns - then adjust the cable to suit making sure it doesnt cause the shoes to bind