ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to use megs scratch x?

Discounted 1*2 parts
My girlfriend is getting her new sportka at the weekend and when we went to view it had quite a lot of swirl marks. i intend to remove them. I have some meguires scratch x. would this do the job and what is the way of using it by hand?

what is best to finish it off with? i have AG super resin polish, ultra deep shine and a megs stage 2 polish.

which would be best to use?

thanks

Bumder With A Buffer
You could try it with the soft foam one. But to be honest I'd not bother with scratch x and just use SRP.

That will help hide the swirls (fill them)

Discounted 1*2 parts
You could try it with the soft foam one. But to be honest I'd not bother with scratch x and just use SRP.

That will help hide the swirls (fill them)

want to try and remove them tho.

if i fill them in and seal/wax it will last for a while but then the will become visable again?

Bumder With A Buffer
Aye. A "german applicator" on clean your car might help by hand. Then u could use scratch x.

Or they do a sonus one that's similar

sorry when I said applicator I ment to use your microfibre one.

Machine polish is the only way to fully remove them though

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
my mrs 106 was quite swirly, i couldnt be arsed to machine it so i layerd on the ag super resin then a couple of coats of collinites and it looks really good.

Discounted 1*2 parts
sorry when I said applicator I ment to use your microfibre one/quote]

i will try using the microfibre pad at the w/end then to see how i get on. someone on another forum has said i may need a couple of layers of the scratch x (apply, buff off, apply buff off etc)

is this correct?

Bumder With A Buffer
Ythere is no need to layer polish. Okay you could put it on once, buff it off then on again and buff off but there is no need and or point

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
yer i didnt mean slap a thick ass layer on in one go, just thin coats ontop of eachother. Ive read so many things about applying polish and waxes you just dont know whats what. Ive always stuck by two coats of each product, every1 has their ways i guess.

Bumder With A Buffer
thanks for that mate

how do these differ from normal foam pads?

How do they differ?? They are (I think) made of kinda the same materials as foam pads that go on polishers. They have an element of roughness kinda that adds a bit of cut when you use it by hand. The cut I refer to helps remove swirl marks.

Won't be as good as machining though.

Never used one myself but read up a bit over on detailing world about them. Whilst they aren't as good as machine they will help the breakdown of polish when using polish compounds by hand.

Bumder With A Buffer
i usually apply srp with a microfibre style pad and really work it into the paintwork and then buff off.

is this right?

Yes that's correct. But after you have done it once (by hand anyway) there might not be much point in doing another "pass" or going over with polish. By hand it's just a waste IMO as you won't be correcting anything.

I could be told otherwise of course :)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
dont get me wrong, i did a full paint correction when i first got it, now its all about keep the paint pristine which ive done tbh, every says how amazing shiny/ wet looking my car looks.

Bumder With A Buffer
You don't "have" to buy a DA dude.

Srp does do small amounts of correction just not as good as a Da or orbital would using "proper" polishes like menz, 3m, lime prime.

SRP is more of a filler anyway.

G220 is good but the Kestrel is also good. I have a Kestrel

Discounted 1*2 parts
would you say it was worth running a coat of the scratch x over the car before using the SRP then?

of just go straight to the SRP after wash/clay etc

Bumder With A Buffer
I have never used scratch-x so I honestly couldn't couldn't comment really!

I don't see why you couldn't try first though, different things work for different people. Srp will help hide them.

Or another product is poorboys black hole. That will hide the f*****s too :)

Discounted 1*2 parts
i'm too impatient to buy new products lol so wanna use what i have in the shed.

will post up pics of my results tomorrow :) cant wait to give it a bash

Bumder With A Buffer
Ipswich fella (well near there anyway!)

no worries about help, I'm no expert though :eek:

just read and take in a lot :)

120d M Sport
If you're correcting by hand I'd reccomend a microfibre applicator, suprisingly they seem to have a bit more bite than the foam ones, which are better for wax application.

You could go round the whole car panel by panel with scratch-x, then refine after with Super Resin Polish, good luck with getting it done before Christmas though ;)

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
You could go round the whole car panel by panel with scratch-x, then refine after with Super Resin Polish, good luck with getting it done before Christmas though ;)

A plus point would be that by the time you had done the whole car you would have arms like popeye.
Scratch X is really just for small areas, it needs to be worked quite hard to get any kind of result. Far better to use one of the filler polishes as advised above.

YOU DO NOT LAYER POLISH.

Good, now that's out of the way ;)

SRP will be your current best bet. Something like Blackhole may work a little better. However, proper paint correction is the only true way to remove swirling.

No I just have no car anymore and missing the darn thing like crazy, and it's only been one weekend :(

On the plus side, driving the Audi to Birmingham meant; Auto lights, auto wipers, auto box, cruise control, steering wheel phone, satnav and musique controls!! Sat at some MPH (;)) down and barely did anything lol! Downed the limited when there was traffic, upped it again when it was clear!

Bumder With A Buffer
Pffttt sod all these mod con things...your just in a box then relying on a computer to drive for you...what if it goes mental??!!??!!!