ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hypothetical RWD Clio

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, just wanted to ask a few of the more mechanically minded people what sort of work would go in to converting a hot hatch (in this case a Clio) to RWD. Im not planning on doing this, but Im just interested to know how much work would be involved.

Also what do you reckon this would do to a Clio, do you reckon it would improve the handling a lot or would it be a minor increase/decrease in performance and cornering?

Cheers

Max

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the work involved would be a lot as well as the costs. as well as getting everything to fit you need all the wheel/suspension allignment to be correct otherwise it will drive/handle crap. this has been done in the past but it will cost you a fortune.

best bet would be to make it mid engined rwd

hang on thats a clio v 6 :)

i looked into making a twin engined 172 its not cheap

yeah the lotus v8 twin turbo fits in the clio at the back no worries so tis a good way the back end of the v6 is the front subframe of a laguna

I know the v6 is mid rear, but thought with front rear it would give a better weight split between front and rear. Im not going to do this, just was interested thats all.

well you have a problem with there been no tunnel and im not sure about how many rwd boxes will bolt onto the engine suppose you could change bell housing but i dunno

but im been really thick and slightly tipsy but wouldnt the engine have to be
Longditudanly mounted :S so the box is on the back ofthe block ?

Ive thought about this a lot surly if you had a smashed up Cup you could just weld the front of the Cup into the back of the (ok thats an easy way of looking at it but still)

Youd have to lose the back seats but 330hp and all wheel drive should make for a good 0-60 time.

Someone in France has welded a second engine into the back of a Williams.

yes it would, not only that, but iirc, u would have to cut part of the floor away, in order to fit the parts needed. then as has been mentioned, u would have to align everything perfectly, unless u have a four wheel computerised alignment jig!:sleep:

lol the 2win engines is fairly easy as we have the technology with the v you just need to drop thje 172 on its rear subframe

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 19 May 2004

lol the 2win engines is fairly easy as we have the technology with the v you just need to drop thje 172 on its rear subframe
Only problem then is changing gear the ratios would be different and 6th gear would be missing.

Im still all for me idea of getting welding a new front of a Cup into the back of a 172 then turboing them both.

Hum a 520hp Clio.

Easy peasy.

Edds idea is the simplest and the best.

Get 2 clios, cut the front of one off just after the bulkhead. Cut the entire rear floorpan out the one you want to convert, right down to behind the front seats. Lift up, place front of other car under and trim to fit in the hole. Weld up turrets, crossmember, bulkead to the shell, stiffen with steel tube, put the gear linkage onto your gear lever as normal, take front engine out and put fueltank in there.

To hold the steering junk the rack and make some long threaded bar which the rod ends would go onto, with spherical bearings on the other end, located onto a beefed up part of the chassis and use that to set your rear tracking.

Done

EP motorsport have that twin engined 5 so it can be done. However, i think the price they quoted for that job was quite a lot.....like over 10k??

get a scrap sierra and cut transmission tunnel out and weld into a clio shell, then you could make strut towers to take front struts, locate it with rosebushed arms. It is alot of work but this is the common way to install rwd in a non rwd shell, would be loads of fun, a tranaxle from an alpina or something could also work. Another possibility is a reno 21 turbo engine as it can be install longitudinelly (is that a word) with gearbox at rear and put this in the back instead or in front with a tunnel. I am sure somebody has a clio 4wd with saphire cossie running gear, anybody recall this mad motor, think it had a dimma kit