ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I am going to set fire to my car.

Black Gold 182 (Cup Pack)
I am so angry with my car! really dont enjoy driving it at the moment, it just doesn't feel right.
I cant quite put my finger on it, it feels very unstable to the front, and when the road is uneven or rough, i am contantly making minor turns the the wheel. If i give it the boot, it's actually like holding on for a ride, not really torque steer, but, i cant explain it, it's like it's tramlining, but when i come to a complete stop on a sloping road, the steering turns gradually in to the direction of the slope.
Not too bad on flat surfaces, and no pull on the wheels when I brake. I dont get it, the tyres are slightly worn to the front, probably about 2mm, and i have played with the tyre pressures. It's driving me insane! Please anyone if you have any ideas(like if i shoudl use petrol or parafin to set fire to it!), please let me know.

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I might be stating the obvious, but have you checked the alignment, even if you have hit a pot hole in the road, this can knock the alignment out ever so slighty.

Also if you have changed the discs on the car make sure that the disc is sitting flat with the hub, if not when you put the wheel on the pull will be more noticable due to the increased forces.

Best thing to do which I had done is take the car to get it laser aligned, they shoudl be able to sort the issue out for you, but if not it may be a case of looking at other posibilities.

Have you had the car from new? If yes have you ever caught a curb or hit a large pot hole, if yes you may want to check the sub frame to make sure there is no obvious signs of damage, I know it sounds silly but it can happen.

Hope this helps

Cheers for that, it has been doing it for about 1 month now, i did have it laser alligned about 4 months ago, and i havent hit a kerb or a pot hole lately, it never used to do it, and no I havent had it from new. I have noticed it about 2 months after Renault changed the power steering pump, under warranty, now it is out of warranty. But i am concerned it could be the rack, so i jacked it up, and they seem just fine, gonna hurt it soon! cheers for the tips

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
If the steering rack was on its was out you would get a very noticable creaking or stiffing when turing the steering wheel. I had this on an old car and you know straight away when its on its way out.

All of the shocks and springs are ok? Top mounts? Bushes etc.

The only other thing I could think is maybe when the car went in for the pump the monkeys have jacked it up via the front wishbones, possibly bending the steering linkage. (Little bit OTT but could always be a possibility)

It sounds a bit silly but I used to have a Calibra Turbo, which I had a brand new set of front tires put on, after a few hundred miles I found the car was pulling quite notably to one side, looked at all the posibilities and pin pointed down to a hardend tire. Which was sent back and a new set put on.

hmmm, I have had a new tyre at the rear, but not at the front, il jack it when it stops raining and have a propper look at all the points raised by you guys. The back susspension does creak a little? connected? dont know?

just 1 new tire on the rear? you should replace them in pairs really...

the other one was nearly new, about 2000 miles, ish, but the back ones dont wear as fast, and i got a puncture, in the money part of longleat zoo, then i ran out of petrol in the lion section. Embarassed doesnt come close

Do you think swapping the wheels around is a worthwhile test?

Leon Cupra R 225
get it into a decent garage, reputable one, unlikely that'll mean your local Reno! let them have a good butchers explain as best you can the prob

if it's still fucked then sell it, don't burn it!

Peugeot 306 HDi
f the steering rack was on its was out you would get a very noticable creaking or stiffing when turing the steering wheel. I had this on an old car and you know straight away when its on its way out.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how often did it creak? I get an occasional creak but my steering still feels fine - it just worries me and your comment added to that lol.

Last edited:
f the steering rack was on its was out you would get a very noticable creaking or stiffing when turing the steering wheel. I had this on an old car and you know straight away when its on its way out.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how often did it creak? I get an occasional creak but my steering still feels fine - it just worries me and your comment added to that lol.

I had a rack go on my last car, the steering was looser than a clowns pocket, not very reasuring when you boot it round a roundabout

Scirocco GT 210
I am so angry with my car! really dont enjoy driving it at the moment, it just doesn't feel right.
I cant quite put my finger on it, it feels very unstable to the front, and when the road is uneven or rough, i am contantly making minor turns the the wheel. If i give it the boot, it's actually like holding on for a ride, not really torque steer, but, i cant explain it, it's like it's tramlining, but when i come to a complete stop on a sloping road, the steering turns gradually in to the direction of the slope.
Not too bad on flat surfaces, and no pull on the wheels when I brake. I dont get it, the tyres are slightly worn to the front, probably about 2mm, and i have played with the tyre pressures. It's driving me insane! Please anyone if you have any ideas(like if i shoudl use petrol or parafin to set fire to it!), please let me know.

I feel the same about my car! Plus I've got rattles galore. I'm not going to set it on fire though, I've just learnt to accept that it's a heap. :cool:

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Hella' ironic if it caught fire accidently and your insurance company decided to check this website ;)

NEED V6!

Mate mine just the same at the mo pissing me off to quite honest, have you ever hit the drain's on roundabout's as that's the only thing i hit had mine car lasered only 2 week's ago everything was fine untill i floored it from the lights and it was like i had no control of the front end all of the road could'nt keep it straight. Does your suspension feel softer than normal.:S

Leon Cupra 300
Mate, mine was exactly the same as yours, felt exactly the same as you.. bang 2 new tyres on the front and it will transform it trust me. :D Go for PE2's too.

NEED V6!
Mate, mine was exactly the same as yours, felt exactly the same as you.. bang 2 new tyres on the front and it will transform it trust me. :D Go for PE2's too.

Hey mate my car has terrible worn rear tyre's most of it from the inner tread i reckon previous ower had swapped front's for rear i think is this hazardous.

Leon Cupra 300
Mine just seems to wear evenly across the width of the tyre, as for front to back i'd always have new on the front as that is what's causing your tramlining etc...

Best thing you can do is 4 new boots, PE2's, you'll be amazed.

Right, first things first, i think i'' swap the rears to the front to give it a quick test, and then il get some new un's if it works out great.

My suspension does creak from the back, not sure if this is effecting ti, but tyres seem to be the most common solution i haven't yet tried out.

Cheers for all your help everyone!

997.1, Caddy, e208
Mine does the same 70mph+

Its definately not the tracking or wheel balancing on mine..... Swapping fronnt and backs when I can be botherd!