ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I bloody hate insurance - accident moan

172 Turbo
So, I'm out and about with the wife last weekend. We get to this roundabout

Roundabout_zps887aad6a.jpg

We're taking the second exit, effectively the right exit.
Traffic is queuing on the lane with the filter arrow and the right lane, nothing in the middle lane.
We use the middle lane, get 3/4 around the roundabout and are hit by a car using the right lane.
He's shaking, admits he didn't look. No one stops. We swap details.
I call insurance to get the ball moving to find it's likely to be a split liability - despite me not moving lanes, not having a chance to avoid him and my attempt at evading him meaning less damage. I can't believe it, so his actions are meaning I'm paying out my excess and face having problems with the mirrored NCB.

All because some old dude didn't understand a roundabout.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted for you, life can be so unfair at times.

Can you appeal the decision? I'm not sure how, but is it even possible? Take the chap to court and get him to admit 100% liability? Sadly it'd turn into your word against his :(

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Sorry to hear. Can you not push for full liability on his behalf?

It seems like that middle lane shouldn't be there though bs it encourages events like this to happen.

There's one by me which is straight on or right. And the amount of pricks who try to go right from the left lane Is unreal! Not calling you a prick by the way as there is no straight on in your picture... I just got off on a tangent.

172 Turbo
The middle lane is so the roundabout maintains two lanes both entrance & exit. Here is the exit
Roundabout2_zps8ddcd0be.jpg

I completely understand about those who turn right on a straight on lane, this is just a roundabout joining two two lane roads to one dual carriageway and trying to keep capacity on the roundabout. However, without the marking on the entrance it takes a little consideration.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
@masekwm small world! I drive past this everyday to get to work! I come from the left way (in your first pic) and go towards the right. Many people cut this round about. The three lanes on your end make it even more confusing. With regards to your insurance issue it might be a bit late to push full liability on the other guy but even if you do your insurance will know you have had an accident which would most likely have the same end result.

172 Turbo
Battle is for half of excess or having excess recovered, also for the fact I know I didn't do anything wrong, sometimes it's principle.
I doubt it'll make any difference to my policies, as although I've not looked I'm 99% sure I have protected NCB
It appears our car is going to be a write off, which is really, really sad news :D

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
is it really 50/50 if on a roundabout?

Im glad that bint who nearly hit me didnt actually then...

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
is it really 50/50 if on a roundabout?

Im glad that bint who nearly hit me didnt actually then...

apparently so.
My mum got taken out on a roundabout banger style, she was taking the final (4th) exit on a roundabout, guy pulling on at the 1st exit drove straight across both lanes into her passenger door, punted her onto the grassy bit of the roundabout itself.
That went down as a 50/50.

On a sort of related note, my cousin failed his driving test for stopping on a roundabout to avoid an accident. A van infront of him was side swiped and ended up facing the wrong way, he stopped to avoid hitting the vans side door and failed.

Listerine & Poledo
On a sort of related note, my cousin failed his driving test for stopping on a roundabout to avoid an accident. A van infront of him was side swiped and ended up facing the wrong way, he stopped to avoid hitting the vans side door and failed.
Should have made a lunge for the gap while it was there I suppose?
That's ridiculous, and they wonder why the freshly-passed kids today are just mobile accident blackspots

mk1 Octavia VRS
The insurance companies just want the option that will cost them the least amount of time and money, even if it's not your fault. Car park knocks often go 50/50 and because the value of a car park knock is usually relatively low and the risk of injury is low the insurers don't deem it worth arguing over.

Only ways to try and protect yourself from the insurance industry in this country are as follows:
  • Agreed value policy if your car is worth more than the average guide price
  • Dash cam
  • If you're not at fault - try and get other driver to admit fault in writing at the scene. I imagine that would make it harder for the insurance company to make it go 50/50 after the accident.

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
I got taken out by a Romanian lorry on the M1 and obviously being Romanian insured I couldn't go through his so had to call mine to deal with it.

9 Months on all settled 100% not to blame, NCB not affected and excess paid back to me

when I went to renew, it was £500 more I was like what the F is that about? "you had a claim in June"

It got settled not my fault in anyway so why does it affect my policy? "it counts as a claim as you phoned us to notify" what the hell was I meant to bl**dy do then, chuck 15k in the bin? just go and buy a new car

Just goes to show no one wins in a claim

Last edited:

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I really f*cking hate insurance.

It's something we are forced to have (rightly so), however I really believe that the Government needs to have more regulation over them.

Punishing someone on their premiums because they've been involved in a shunt that wasn't their fault is f*cking robbery.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Insurances companies are bloody con artists. It's all just blatant profiteering and screwing people over, but the government aren't interested in getting involved.

If you have an accident, even if you are not at fault and all costs are recovered, there is every chance your premium will go up anyway. They penalise you regardless of fault, simply because they can.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Insurances companies are bloody con artists. It's all just blatant profiteering and screwing people over, but the government aren't interested in getting involved.

If you have an accident, even if you are not at fault and all costs are recovered, there is every chance your premium will go up anyway. They penalise you regardless of fault, simply because they can.

Makes you laugh doesn't it, I wonder what their view is of penalizing the not at fault party..

They can hardly say because you've had an accident (not at fault), you've proved you're more likely to be involved in one, that's utter b*llocks!

Any old reason to scam more money out of us.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
The government really need to get involved to sort out the insurance industry, a lot of it is a complete joke like non-fault accidents putting your premiums up.

Another is over night storage, on a street is less than a secured garage. And fitting a tracker = higher premium than standard security features

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
My wifes car was hit whilst parked (by a neighbour) and her policy goes up because of it. It's mental

Ok, so it's only a few £ on her policy but it's still wrong. She wasn't even in the bloody thing!

172 Turbo
My wifes car was hit whilst parked (by a neighbour) and her policy goes up because of it. It's mental

Ok, so it's only a few £ on her policy but it's still wrong. She wasn't even in the bloody thing!
My wife was looking at the cat and reversed into our parked neighbour.
We didn't lose our NCB :)

172 Turbo
Had me confused when the renewal came through, called up "the accident was decided that it was not you fault" in broken Indian.

Oooookaaay