ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I.R. Detailer

Not a 320d
Because it smells great. No need to spend mega bucks Roy if youre happy with what your products do then all Is good.

Iron X and a good clay on white paintwork = win.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Woteva.

Why do I now need IronX and that other thing?
You need it because your car is white and pretty much it works best on white...

mercsl500001.jpg

Iron fillings that penetrate the clearcoat.

Tardis and claying won't remove it, iron x will. On a white car it's a must.

Werkstat because...

On white there is nothing better imo.

TTBoSMay201015.jpg

004.gif

005.gif

And you could do the whole car in 15 minutes. I know your old hips can't stay outside too long.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The liquid is clear, it's the iron that's dissolving that turns purple, it shows it's working.

Groundbreaking product.

Yeah I know but it hardly seems essential. Once a year maybe. Defo worth it to keep my MASSIVE rims in tip-top order though.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah you'll see it run down the car mate, just shows up better on White because the Iron is more noticeable on white.

Not a 320d
it turns more a blood red/black TBQHACTUALLYIIRC

I was working in my garage once when I spilt half the contents of a 500 ML bottle of iron X on the floor. I continued to work in new environment for a further 3 hours.

Totally agree. I just couldn't put up with the lack of punch. No offense and it's been covered 100 times, but FRS engine in Puma = instant buy.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol! That Fiesta chassi can handle mp600 torques iirc.

Why oh why is this s**t so expensive?

It's just stuff for cleaning. Posh bottles of stuff that your missus buys in Waitrose. But no, because it's for the car and now it's called 'detailing' lets stick a zero on the end of the price, charge you a weekly wage for a brush and generally s**t all over your dreams of a clean car.

Car wash FTW TBH IMO.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
^ Yours is silver, really doesn't matter who washes it.

Why oh why is this s**t so expensive?

It's just stuff for cleaning. Posh bottles of stuff that your missus buys in Waitrose. But no, because it's for the car and now it's called 'detailing' lets stick a zero on the end of the price, charge you a weekly wage for a brush and generally s**t all over your dreams of a clean car.

Car wash FTW TBH IMO.

That's easy to say when you're driving around in a 10 year old heap.

Megane 225 F1
I agree with Revels and I drive a black car.

Although I would love to have the patience to detail a car myself :eek:

Bit nasty, Roy.

I used special wheel cleaners yesterday and I shall be purchasing but about £20 a go is about my limit. I get bored after an hour anyway.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I wouldn't rush back to buy it, it's ok. As fringe says it's more important for lighter cars. It's also only required once, maybe twice p/a.

Bit over hyped!

It does make you wonder how detailers coped before it was invented. Full respray once a week?

It's probs just formulated to turn purple in air after a few seconds. I bet you could dunk the whole car in for a week, take it out, dry it, spray some Iron-X on, and it'd turn purple. Mugs!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol.

I agree the industry if full of "amazing" "Miracle" products but there hasn't been anything in a while that's added a step in de-contamination and that in itself is groundbreaking.

decontaminate-f.jpg
Bonded metal filings rusting in situ; visible to the naked eye in this instance

CarPro Iron X – use on car paint, wheels and glass (safe for all paint finishes including painted aluminium and alloys) to remove iron filings and ferrous-based contaminants. Automotive paint is porous, by using an acid salt solution on the paint surface the micro-fissures (‘pores’) are expanded by an exothermic reaction. This releases ferrous particles and caustic compounds that have developed in the paint's subsurface; the reaction agitates and loosens the particles allowing them to be rinsed away.

This is a one-step, highly effective vehicle paint decontamination, beyond what can be removed by washing or claying, with the cleaning power of an acid with a pH of 7.0, by using a neutralised acid salt

Neutralization is the reaction between an acid and a base (alkaline) producing a salt and neutralized base; common examples include acetic acid and sulphuric acid, it contains neutralised acid salts that effectively dissolve the sintered brake dust particles that are lodged in the paints surface forming a water soluble complex that changes colour (clear to deep red) that can be rinsed away. An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that is accompanied by the release of heat i.e. neutralization reactions such as direct reaction of acid and base. Do not allow solution to dry on paint surface.

The smell is similar to ammonium thioglycolate (its main chemical component) also used in the formulation of permanent wave lotion. The neutralization reaction of an acid with a base will always produce water and a salt. The carbonic acid formed (H2CO3) undergoes rapid decomposition to water and gaseous carbon dioxide, and so the solution aerates as CO2 gas is released. HCl + NaHCO3 > H2CO3 + NaCl (Salt)

It is really interesting to see the amount of iron particles residue that will be dissolved by Iron X, despite having clayed the car before hand. This product definitely offers advancement in paintwork decontamination.

Clay will remove the filings sitting proud but not anything below as clay doesn't pull contamination out of the paint, Iron-X will go into the pours of the paint and actually begin to break the filings down making it easier to remove.

On really badly contaminated cars you may have to do 3 or 4 applications of the Iron-X in order to get the filings fully removed and even then you may need a quick bit of spot claying but it's definitely not a gimmik - it's been a life saver on several cars for us already and for wheels it's incredibly handy.

lrg-1172-octavia_vrs_11.jpg

lrg-1166-octavia_vrs_05.jpg

156709_475245547216_500937216_6179064_2397242_n.jpg

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
You don't need expensive products to look after your car properly. If you aren't mega into detailing, there is pretty much no point in getting stuff like that. For the average Joe, or Roy, you are better off just using the right techniques with semi decent products.