ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I test drove the Clio Trophy

Red Clio 197 F1

The Trophy is awesome! Its no secret that the Trophy has been winning some admirers, but it is fantastic

The Sachs suspension set up is superb as the Recaro seats. It is a winner and I want one.

Apparently only 120 left, and by the end of the week it might be 119 :devilish: ;)

Red Clio 197 F1

Ive got a Mk1 and I know we think they are the best of the bunch. Still think they are better than the 172 mk2 and standard 182 but that Trophy is a fantastic set up with a very tempting price tag.

Evo mag got it right, not many cars for under £16k to give the new M6 a run for its money. Rock on RenaultSport!

I went out on a 90 min test drive and we had so much fun, shame the roads werent a little quieter :(

oh, your talking about MK2 phase 1 and 2s? ;)

personally Id say go for it and just buy one, they look awesome and by all accounts they handle amazingly... just could do with a little more under the hood and yer off, but im sure BenR or Andy can sort that problem :devilish:

cock mobile.

Can everyone stop saying how good they are, its making me want one!!!

I went to my local garage to ask about a test drive, they said, urr we dont have one, so if you want to drive one youll have to buy it!!

Yer, like Im about to buy a car I havent even seen nevermind driven! Good one Reno!

Red Clio 197 F1
  cock mobile.

They dont seem to list any, anywhere near me!!

Probably best tbh, if I drove it I might want to buy it!!

when i went with my dad to test drive the TROPHY our test drive only lasted about 10 mins....b*****ds but 2 weeks later we had ours and it is the dog bollox its perfect. i feel honoured to wash it :D the seats have a lower back rest which is perfect for long drives! some people feel a bit pissed about the back seat but if ur the driver ur never gonna sit there ;) but the back seats are extremely comfy its like 1000 strands of elastic wrapped around your back over all the car itself is like a aston martin / ferrai :D imo i hope this will persaude u all to take a intrest to buyin one and sorry to your misses if ive made you get one in tight money situations but it makes you feel eccentric.

Josh

Clio Trophy

:) I ordered mine without a Test Drive!!! Had a go in a Civic Type-R but was not convinced. Read all the reviews on the Trophy and decided they are the people who know what they are chatting about, so went all out and put my money where my mouth is. Just have to wait for it to turn up now!!!

Tick. . . . Tock. . . . Tick. . . . Tock. . . .

Every second feels like a minute, every minute seems like an hour, every hour seems like a day and every day feels like a lifetime. . . .

A red missile

Done just over 2200 miles in mine now, love it to bits, still makes me grin a lot, same as you wigstar i ordered mine without testing, went into a dealer with the intention of buying a cup on a monday, whilst he was looking at my old car and getting figures i spotted the trophy, when he came back with figures, yeah nice, now go get me figures for this. Friday i was driving it home :cool: I doubt youll be disappointed!!

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup

well i was followin a trophy down a private A road yesterday and he didnt gain a inch on my full fat cuped 182 surly its down 2 the driver, if anything i was pushing him. ;)

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup

I did want one but im not sure if id be loosing money ( bout £4000 trade in) on something that isnt any faster and unless im on a track goin 2 be margenally quiker maybe :confused:

A red missile

its only a second a lap quicker than a cup round renaults test track, so quicker yes but not massively, my old car was a 1.2 and a right shed at that (snot green too - what was i thinking) so it was a no brainer for me, if i had a sorted cup though im not sure id swap. I like it a lot though so whether its better or not doesnt really matter, besides im not convinced im a good enough driver to get the best out of either if im honest.

Clio Cup

Maybe a stupid question but is it anywhere close to the handling prowess of a elise/vx?

Cant make my mind up whether i should take delivery of the trophy mid sept or wait for open season on used vx turbos.

R

rich[182]

looks like im in the minority when it comes to the trophy, that is in terms of how it looks, i think its the worst looking 172/182 variant yet, colour, alloys/alloy colour,rear seats, trophy side stickers,
even ride height somehow "looks" higher, especially at the back, had a proper look at one in showroom last friday, only like the recaros
ps this isnt sour grapes b4 someone mentions that, Id have any colour 182 with both cup packs over a trophy, i know the trophy is gonna be better on the road but i just cant get past the looks, for a starters it wouldnt leave the dealers forecourt without the trophy side stickers removed
all imho of course
runs for cover..........................

Red Clio 197 F1

A colleague of mine has just said his mate works for Renault F1 and can get me on friends & family and therefore save 25% on any Renault:cool:

All this temptation is doing my heed in!! £12k for a Trophy! But I do love my Phase 1 172 (avec cup kit).

I cant concentrate, my vision is going blured, all I can see is something red with a £12k sign above it :confused::):cool::D

Lee

BMW M2C

Unless Renault have changed it the F & F on the Trophy isnt as high as the 182 and 182 Cup, its still a very good saving though.

How tempted are you now? ;)

I took friend out last night whos into cars. At one point I left my braking really late into a tight right, dabbed the brakes, blipped down to third and flew round it easy as you like. I could hear his arsehole flapping. lol Obviously he was impressed.

When I had the 182 Id taken him the same route so he could see the difference. He commented on the hard ride (he is pushing 60) but it didnt bother him.

Quote: Originally posted by JayJo on 31 August 2005
But I do love my Phase 1 172 (avec cup kit)

Whats that all about then?

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500

I have yet to take one out for a test drive.

Pick mine up on Friday so i hope that everything you lot have been saying about the Trophy is correct.:)

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 31 August 2005

Unless Renault have changed it the F & F on the Trophy isnt as high as the 182 and 182 Cup, its still a very good saving though.

How tempted are you now? ;)

I took friend out last night whos into cars. At one point I left my braking really late into a tight right, dabbed the brakes, blipped down to third and flew round it easy as you like. I could hear his arsehole flapping. lol Obviously he was impressed.

When I had the 182 Id taken him the same route so he could see the difference. He commented on the hard ride (he is pushing 60) but it didnt bother him.
TUT TUT Lee. Scaring old men is not good for their health, but its bloody funny.:p

Lee

BMW M2C

My uncle John, who also loves cars, wont go out with me since I demoed the 172 to him. I think it was the viscous acceleration then equally as hard braking that did it.

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500

It might be the fact that he is still trying to rearrnge his internal organs back where they should be:)

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 31 August 2005

My uncle John, who also loves cars, wont go out with me since I demoed the 172 to him. I think it was the viscous acceleration then equally as hard braking that did it.
lol. My Mother wont gpassenger in my car - she says shes had smoother roller coaster rides. lol.

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500

I have two different driving style, one is the family style where i drive like an angel and the Driver on a Mission style where i drive to get places quickly and safely.

i got told that friends and family wasnt possible on the Trophy....i was going to do that but couldnt and was tempted by 182 with cup packs but had no luck so went somewhere else and got a Trophy!!

yeppo changed it. I got 9.6k I think for my old one. I couldnt resist... Now I just need to order those coilovers ;)

Sounds like a good deal assuming you got a decent price on the trophy too.

lol, or get custom springs those dampers are good!

Ill have to come have a look at it you can take me out and (try to) scare me in it ;)

Nah I wont be touching it, except for the exhaust. But yeah, hopefully itll be run in by the time I catch up with you next. The suspension is superb as everyone says. It feels much more confident on the turn in.

Cool, get gayboy brazo to slap a coat of superduper sealant over the paint so its nicely protected for the winter. Hes within spitting distance from your manor(assuming you havnt moved house since i saw you last)

We did Sawas a while back (obviously stripped all the crap off the paint 1st) Hes got amongst his massive collection of valeting products several polymer sealants that last longer than natural waxes. Keeps the paint protected longer, water beading off etc and means the paint is easier to clean as the sh*t doesnt stick as easily. Drop him a PM and slip him a few beer tokens and hell sort it. Take a look at the results he got from snuftys lotus in the other marks section.