ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I want a Black Mirror!!

Formally Clio 182
I want my Black Gold Clio to be so polished that its like a mirror.

Got nothing much to do this bank holiday weekend, so was wondering what i'll need to achieve the results?

Mito Sportiva 135
A PC or orbital polisher... a range of polishes such as Menzerna or Poorboys...some buffing pads...shampoo...buckets...drying towels....microfibre towels...clay...finishing polish such as AG SRP....a glaze and/ or sealant and/or decent wax... and a whole lot of skill, effort and good old fashioned elbow grease.

Will probably take a lot longer than a weekend to get the results you want especially on a black car, think of it as an ongoing project you never ever complete. Oh, and prepare to find a gaping hole in your wallet too! ;)

106 GTi
The Last Process I used on my 182.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2993394#post2993394

PAINTWORK

Machine Polished by Porter Cable mainly with Menzerna Final Finish PO106FA and a Sonus SFX White Polishing Pad, followed by Menzerna Final Finish PO85RD on a Sonus SFX Blue Finishing Pad. Some areas such as the bonnet needed some more attention so Menzerna Intensive Polish (PO85RD 3.01) was used on a Menzerna Polishing Pad first. The car was then Glazed by machine using a Black LC Pad and Clearkote Vanilla/Red Machine Glaze mix. This process alone did not remove some of the deeper marks in the paint.

Full Sized pads where used on the Bonnet, Doors, Roof and Quarters. Spot 4 inch pads for the Rear Spoiler, Tailgate, Front Wings, Lower Doors & Quarters and Front and Rear Valences.

Paintwork prepared for wax with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid by hand to the whole car. As the car was polished in parts and not one hit, Swissvax Onyx was applied to the panels as they where finished. Over the next few weeks the car was then waxed with Zymol Concours, Swissvax Best of Show, and thanks to Brazo the final coat of Wax was Zymol Destiny which the car was wearing for the show. Final Wipe down with GG Synthetic Quick Detailer.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
plenty of elbow grease!! ;)

RenaultMeganeSport22503-08-2007002.gif

Formally Clio 182
Thanks Rich for the great guide, I presume you have purchased all those cleaning products over time.

For me to go out and buy them probably cost a fair bit.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
The Last Process I used on my 182.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2993394#post2993394

PAINTWORK

Machine Polished by Porter Cable mainly with Menzerna Final Finish PO106FA and a Sonus SFX White Polishing Pad, followed by Menzerna Final Finish PO85RD on a Sonus SFX Blue Finishing Pad. Some areas such as the bonnet needed some more attention so Menzerna Intensive Polish (PO85RD 3.01) was used on a Menzerna Polishing Pad first. The car was then Glazed by machine using a Black LC Pad and Clearkote Vanilla/Red Machine Glaze mix. This process alone did not remove some of the deeper marks in the paint.

Full Sized pads where used on the Bonnet, Doors, Roof and Quarters. Spot 4 inch pads for the Rear Spoiler, Tailgate, Front Wings, Lower Doors & Quarters and Front and Rear Valences.

Paintwork prepared for wax with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid by hand to the whole car. As the car was polished in parts and not one hit, Swissvax Onyx was applied to the panels as they where finished. Over the next few weeks the car was then waxed with Zymol Concours, Swissvax Best of Show, and thanks to Brazo the final coat of Wax was Zymol Destiny which the car was wearing for the show. Final Wipe down with GG Synthetic Quick Detailer.

Rich, you amateur...you know that you should just use Tesco Value Car Shampoo! ;)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
What products are you using Gareth?

a range of things. Megs Gold Class, Zymol, Poorboys Chemical Wash, P21s, Swissvax Onyx and the usual AG SRP, EGP, the car was last done (as pictured) with Dodo Juice Purple Haze.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
the Swissvax is easier to apply, the Dodo Juice hardens quickly and needs to be worked on and off fairly quickly. I found they both gave the same results, although I think I prefer the Swissvax slightly.

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
This took me about 2 days when I did it a couple of years ago, on my old car. Didnt use a Pc polisher, just T cut, then polished, and waxed:

PICT1149.gif

Any tips on cleaning between the RENAULT SPORT, and Clio badges on the back though? I find it difficult to get rid of the grubby shadow in them.

Last edited:
  106 GTi
the Swissvax is easier to apply, the Dodo Juice hardens quickly and needs to be worked on and off fairly quickly. I found they both gave the same results, although I think I prefer the Swissvax slightly.

Cheers - Does the Dodo look as good as it does when first applied after a wash like the Onyx does ?

Renault Mégane 1.6e Hatch
I want a black car next, but the upkeep on the shine is gonna be insane I know, ah well it's a mean colour on the clio's and I'm sure it'll be worth it!

TeZ

Non RS : (
Rich sell up and get a Car with Good paintwork then we will see the results. Stuff this orange peel shite.

Mito Sportiva 135
Looking good so far, but agree about the orange peel gheyness. Think it limits what is achievable on a Clio.

Porsches have the best paint IMO.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Cheers - Does the Dodo look as good as it does when first applied after a wash like the Onyx does ?

I don't know yet Rich, the car hasn't been washed since.

106 GTi

I don't know yet Rich, the car hasn't been washed since.

Be good to know what you think when you do, that is the deciding factor into me buying some. The likes of CG 50/50 and Pinnacle Souveran look great until you wash them then they lose that edge and need another coat. Onyx is the only budget wax I have found so far to buck that trend.

Looking good so far, but agree about the orange peel gheyness. Think it limits what is achievable on a Clio.

I could always wet sand it lol

Given up for the day, could not do the roof due to no shade!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
All you need to do is buy a can of yellow paint for your garage, paint it that colour and the reflection will be amazing against the black gold!! ;) ;)

Mito Sportiva 135

I could always wet sand it lol

Given up for the day, could not do the roof due to no shade![/quote]

I have always wondered what a CS might look like with a better quality paint... that would be the ultimate in analness getting that done... but the black Porsche uses is amazing, much better definition to the paint and naturally has a "glassier" liquid look to the paint.

Renault paint isn't all that really as I'm, sure you know from working on other makes...

106 GTi
I am just glad I have always owned french tat so the paint does not bother me that much !

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
come on Rich post your mirror pics lol

IMG_8538.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

Quick snap of mine today mid polish, will post some when it is finished and the wax added tommorrow. Shame about the orange peel paint finsih.

I need to try harder after looking at that lol. These were my eforts

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

Re comments on the CG finish after a wash..... i find i need to zip over mine after EVERY wash as the finish dulls (petes 53) The onyx better for this then?