ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I want to build a 172 replica is it worth the time and money...

Black Ph2 172
They know your the main driver because of the things said in the link given, they'll interview your neighbours, work, college or anywhere you would go and see who drives the car more often, see who uses it as their car (so who should be the policy holder). The idea of a named driver is that you are meant to use the car much less, e.g. your mum uses it to go to and from work and you have lessons in it, or go to the cinemas in it, or a quick run to the shops.

They'll use every trick they can to find out if your the main driver and if they can prove it your left without insurance and the possibility of thousands of pounds worth of cover lost when you suddenly need it to payout.

and also how would they no ur the main driver

Oh rite, well I don't know about your mum but why the fcuk would a lady with 21yrs no claims insure a modded up 1.2. Anyones mum here got a big bore 4, and tints? Get real mate if you declare the mods you are rumbled. Go on your own policy, if you can't afford the insurance on your own and do it properly you can't afford a car, end of.

not sure where this talk of legality on named drivers has come from. i am with zurich premiere insurance. my dads to be precise. on which he is the named as the 1st driver on his, my grandads, mums, sis' and mine. he is only the main driver on his car.

also, it really depends on what you go for with companies;

i had no mods declared on my car (with almost a full 172 kit on it), had a bump, not my fault but ended up 50;50 and didnt have a problem having it repaired back to how it was before the crash.

middos company tried to screw him over for painting his wheels a different colour which is madness.

different companies will look at things in different ways. so in terms of getting a non sport and doing it up with mods you will need to tell the company every little detail. it may start off cheap but the more you make it non standard the more it will cost.

looking back on my car, i love it, its fine power wise as i dont go rocketing around, and its looks captured me into modding it.

would i do it again?

yes if i was the same age with the same no claims etc etc. but now im older and coming out of uni with alot of debt, probs not lol

here are some piccies, any chance to show it off lol

DSC02730.gif

DSC02518edited.gif

DSC02526edited.gif

DSC02629-1.gif

btw it now has a splitter, PIAA 1W LED side lights (bloody 40 quid a pop and one fails!!), pro-speed exhausted and eibach sportlines are on their way.

jamie

yeh but they dont do random checks do they.... do you mean if they have a crash you could just say ur mum was driving it should i just stick with the vtr oh and btw.... how much would it cost on average to get... from rear bumper side skirts door mouldings and arches painted for the 172 kit...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
172 its not...........

sunroof

1.2 front wings

1.2 alloys

black door handles

its not a bad rep, but why make it look like something its not?

its a wate of money imo, unless you drop a 172 lump in it at a later date

oi gaz theyre 172 alloys lol

no its not a 172, as gaz says its only a 1.2 (yeah i know it has 2.0l badges you can all read and have more money than me and are older etc etc etc wooppee to all people who want to post a "get them badges off" post)

if you are 18 and dont have any no claims years you cannot get a quote for a 172. if you have alot of money, or you go with an insurance company that will f you over at the slightest chance then that is your risk and lots of people do it without having problems.

like i say, i dont have loads of money, and my dad wanted to make sure that, being a 17-20 year old, i wouldnt get screwed over by the insurance for any bits and bobs i stuck on my car. so he put me on his insurance that means we are covered no questions asked for a 1.2 16v clio, reguardless of whether it has a sport sticker on the window or a full new kit and paint. as long as nothing affects the performance, ie exhaust, filters etc (lowering not included dont ask why as i dont know) then it is just a blue clio to them.

this sounds like im having a rant but im not lol just telling you my point of view and my circumstances to give you an idea bud :)

jamie

impreza sti prodrive
im 19, 0 ncb, been driving for 2 years on other policys, my insurance through elephant on my 182 with both cup packs, no mods & it costs me £2300 a year. its not out the way for me..

Monaco Blue Mk2
I've done my Ph1 1.4 on the cheap. The way I looked at it was, the insurance on a 172 won't really be reasonable until I'm 20-21. So at the time that was 3-4 years away. OK I've not done absoloutley everything as I weighed up the pro's and cons and for things such as side skirts I decided it was too much to get them sprayed and fitted well. Otherwise I'd say it was worth it. I love how it looks now and I feel if I sold it how it is now I'd get a bit more than if it was standard. I also have kept most parts and would be able to return to standard to sell, and then sell the parts I bought for at least the same if not a bit more where they have been improved.

Insurance wise. Try Quinn Direct. I got my best quote off them in the first place and when I rang to see how much it'd be to add mod's on they told me all cosmetic modifications are covered. If I was to modify the performance of the engine then it would increase the premium.

Roughly I've paid.

Rear bumper - £70
Cup Spoiler - £70
Turini alloy's with brand new eagle f1's £450
Suspension - £80
172 Interior - £250-£300
Paintwork (bumper's, sidestrips, handles, spoiler) £175

That's everything I think. IMO you can do without the interior if it's exterior looks your after although it is nice! Also can do without the cup spoiler just get the original colour coded.

This is how mine looks:

P9130205.jpg

P9120206.jpg

oh btw quick list

front bumper ; 125 (off ebay in my colour couldnt resist is only reason i have it on)
rear ; 50 off ebay 100 painted
skirts ; 55 off ebay 80 painted 50 fitted
wheels ; x5 172 16" with contisports 425 off Has (legend and new Mod i believe) on here
colour coded all round originally by me circa ; 55 then done by repairer
cup spoiler ; 155 (again off ebay and in my colour couldnt resist)
tints 25% ; 170
splitter ; 65 off here
xenons ; 250 off ebay (smashed in bump so brand new from repairers)
fogs ; 95 off ebay, fitting 35
172 grill ; ebay 75 before i knew they were cheap in renault :(
stereo; alpine, infinity speakers, ipod adaptor, sony amp circa 750
silver visions ; sweet fa
led rear lights ; 75 ish

thus far :)

jamie

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

this sounds like im having a rant but im not lol just telling you my point of view and my circumstances to give you an idea bud :)

jamie

oh yeah!!!
yeah no worries, if i were you i'd just have the 16v badges sprayed silver

keeps the haters happy ;)

its a good job mind, none of this maxpower jap rubbish :cool:

blue4ever one of my favs mate, ill say it again and again

182nic, mate how the hell can you afford that. what do you do? and do you go out? (having a laugh, not being an ar5e, im only jealous lol)

jamie

jamie

oh yeah!!!
yeah no worries, if i were you i'd just have the 16v badges sprayed silver

keeps the haters happy ;)

its a good job mind, none of this maxpower jap rubbish :cool:

ask Has lol :rasp:

yeah i was thinkin about that, havent had time to do any messing around with her recently, flipping disertations :(

wait for it, ive got a massive CLIOSPORT DUB sticker for the back and CLIO down the sides, then lowered 100ft and a mahoosive zorst on the way. . . then i got slapped out of it by the gf and got a nice 3" quiet pro speed lol

jamie

im passionate bout doing it tho... most of ur a putting a downer on the whole thing

get your clio. you dont have to mod it. get a 1600, nice little motor to say the least. handle better than anything else i have driven in its league and more. i have driven quite a few in my 3 years as well.

then colour code it. then add what you want. so many ideas on here (middos old one, sgarbett, Has, Dutty_112, Jlo to name but a few)

im 20ish lol and have had the car from 17. so its taken 3 years to get it looking like that. 1st mod was colour coded wing mirrors off ebay for 25 quid!! back in the day

jamie

impreza sti prodrive
im a hgv technician mate. its not that bad at all to pay i only stop in 1nce a month & thats only because its the date my payment comes out.lol.
theres also guna be some mods on her shortly ie:group n ecu & re-map, janspeed de-cat & system, c.d.a induction kit, r&r coilovers & the port matching done. but im debating weather to tell the insurance company or not.

M

mini-valver

As above, im on parents insurance. Its a loophole to a certain extent and saves me at least 50% on my insurance and im covered regardless of exterior mods as long as there nbot extensive! Why not use it? Im still insured and covered when or if i have a bump.
Why treat it asif were running around un insured and taring us with the same brush as animmigrant etc with no insurance/road tax??
Just my 2 pence worth.

impreza sti prodrive
never guessed. to answer your question from my point of view is. if you can get a 1.6 get it or if you cant get the 1.4 either way if i was in your shoes id do it but id do everything apart from the engine. even down to the 2.0ltr sticker on the engine cover... dont do your windows & if your going to do it try & get 1 without a sunroof...

If you cant tell combines aint real .

you can tell a mile off!

you can. your on cliosport mate. i bet if i pulled up alongside clarkson he wouldnt know it wasnt a sport. just as i can bet that he wouldnt know that i have a cup spoiler. nor would he know what the difference between a cup, 182, 172, trophy, mk2, mk1 etc etc is.

cliosport knows as its kinda our specialty as car nuts. but no one else would know.

but i dont care. ive made it look the way i want to, the sport looks very nice, square at the front and back. and thats what i wanted. if i could have a 2.0l i would. same with a vee. same with a bugatti veyron. etc etc. but i cant and until i have a degree and have started wrking and earning i have to put up with a 1.2 :D

and if you want to know that its not a 2.0l then you can rev at the lights and zoom off with me doing a nice 30 behind you :D

jamie

182BG
To be honest mate, its sounds good to you now, but later on when you can afford a 172 you will kick yourself for the amount of money you could of saved.
I know the position your in, most of us have been there, and being patient is one of the hardest things ever.

My option would be, save for now, maybe wait till your 19 then see what the insurance would be like then, if still no good, then maybe consider upgrading your VTR to a VTS, those are still quick cars for what they are.

Oh and about the insurance thing, i never knew it was illegal, i spent four years on my old mans insurance, but it was blatenly obvious that i was the main driver as i stated that the car was registered in my name and he drives another car. Glad i eventually went on my own though :)

never guessed. to answer your question from my point of view is. if you can get a 1.6 get it or if you cant get the 1.4 either way if i was in your shoes id do it but id do everything apart from the engine. even down to the 2.0ltr sticker on the engine cover... dont do your windows & if your going to do it try & get 1 without a sunroof...

yeah agreed, but if you do it like that ie sunroof, you are trying to make it look like summat its not. which is not what im doing :D i want my clio to look sporty and what do you know, the sport looks sporty without looking chavvy.

only clio owners know its not a sport . . . . if you dont race
others wont care, most think, its a blue clio :D

jamie

impreza sti prodrive
lol. i agree mate. just 1 question though. is it currently still on its standard suspension? just wondering why the wheels look smaller.

impreza sti prodrive
hears a few pics of my 182 to give you some influance...lol.
myclio1003.gif

myclio1001.gif

Picture007.gif

myclio1004.gif

those rear lights are also up for sale for offers....

ant

yep.
you can make clio's look a lot better without trying to make them something they aren't.

I'm not saying dont mod it but why stick a 2.0l badge on a 1.2?

you may as well take the clio one off and stick saxo on it.

impreza sti prodrive
or to beat everybody you can put all the sport bits on, coulor code bits ect so it looks proper & then leave the 1.2 stickers & badges. might actualy look ok..

As above, im on parents insurance. Its a loophole to a certain extent and saves me at least 50% on my insurance and im covered regardless of exterior mods as long as there nbot extensive! Why not use it? Im still insured and covered when or if i have a bump.
Why treat it asif were running around un insured and taring us with the same brush as animmigrant etc with no insurance/road tax??
Just my 2 pence worth.

No your not covered.
I ve seen it happen. If you have a bump they will try to wiggle out of paying in anyway they can, and as soon as they see the mods they will know its your car not your parents, then they will interview your neighbours, employer etc to see who drives it the most. When they discover you are infact the main driver and your parents are fronting you, they won't pay out and you will get done for driving without insurance.
Read this thread:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131050

You will be fine until/ if you have a bump.

M

mini-valver

It states 'other drivers' and policy holder NOT main and secondary drivers. Surely that makes me covered! A lot of people i know have been in crashes with policys like mine and had no problems whatso ever......

Apologies if im being niave but im pretty sure ill be ok!

It states 'other drivers' and policy holder NOT main and secondary drivers. Surely that makes me covered! A lot of people i know have been in crashes with policys like mine and had no problems whatso ever......

Apologies if im being niave but im pretty sure ill be ok!

Your covered if your the main driver on a parents policy. But if the policy is in your parents name with yourself as a named (secondary driver) and the car is yours and you use the car the most, then your insurance could potentially be invalid if you ever had to claim, insurance companies call it fronting.

M

mini-valver

Yeah agreed but i said on the phone i use the car at night and weekends which is true so theoretically i have told the truth and so should be hunky dorey. Again niave but i just cant justify spending 2k on insurance when i can quite legitimately spend 5-600.
At the end of this policy hopefully ill have 2 years Named driver NCD so will be taking out my own policy which ive quoted at £600 FC. A saving of potentially £2.8k which is a shed load of money in my eyes.....