ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ice Cream Sandwich.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
GS II Owners..

http://skp.samsungcsportal.com/integrated/popup/FaqDetailPopup.jsp?seq=422548&cdsite=ph

Smartphone : Galaxy S II Ice Cream Sandwich Update
Galaxy S2 ICS Upgrade
You can upgrade your mobile to Android Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) thru KIES 2.0 or FOTA.
To upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich, you must upgrade KIES to the latest version.
(KIES 1.5 does not support upgrading to ICS)
To upgrade mobile OS thru FOTA, large firmware file must be downloaded in your mobile.
So it's strongly recommended to use high speed WI-FI connection when you upgrade your mobile to ICS thru FOTA
1. Major Improvement
- Platform upgrades Android 2.3 Gingerbread → Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
ㆍ Face Unlock and Android Beam are added
ㆍ Mobile Network Data usage function is added
ㆍ Usability of multi-tasking and some applications is improved
Because of ICS OS feature, Adobe flash and Bluetooth 3.0 HS will not be supported in
ICS OS (Bluetooth 3.0 is supported still)

2. Caution
(1) Initializing a few user data
· After ICS upgrade, important user data (like phone book, message, and picture) will be maintained. But due to the changes in the software, few user data or setting value will be initialized.
· Home screen and sequence of applications
· Setting value of a few applications which are improved.
Note: To prevent unexpected data loss, please back-up your data thru Kies before upgrading.
(2) Internal memory space
· To upgrade to ICS OS, enough device memory is needed
(Thru Kies: 60MB at least, Thru FOTA: 350MB at least)
· If device memory is not enough, please delete downloaded applications, SMS/MMS or E-Mail

· How to check device memory : Applications - Setting - Storage - Device memory - Available space
(3) Application compatibility
· In ICS OS, few applications which are downloaded from Android market or other will not work because they are not optimized in ICS OS
· If the application from Android market is not working in ICS, you may notify application developer
(4) Customized firmware
If unofficial or customized firmware is installed in the mobile, unexpected problem can happen during upgrading

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
They said it would be the 10th then said that was wrong. So who knows.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I want a Nexus :(
In fact I just want a decent phone.

But just can't justify the huge cost outlay, compared to my cheap sim only rolling contract.

I've gone from £20 a month to £14 a month for no phone.. upgrade would have been £36 a month + £99 min for the iPhone with tMob. I'm £200 up without selling my old Desire. Yes it's an outlay now, but I'll have forgotten about that next month :D

Just do it !

I've gone from £20 a month to £14 a month for no phone.. upgrade would have been £36 a month + £99 min for the iPhone with tMob. I'm £200 up without selling my old Desire. Yes it's an outlay now, but I'll have forgotten about that next month :D

Just do it !

I don't get your post lol!
What contract are you on now, you bought it outright or..!?

2001 Clio 172
The post about it being available from the 15th has been deleted and no word from Samsung yet. Looks like us GS2 owners will have to wait a little bit longer.

ive read that ICS is meant to be compatible with nearly all android phones due to it being a one version for all, the software with then decide what features the phone cant handle and remove them.

Mito Sportiva 135
Does anyone know what the software version is for ICS? I have got my phone back from 2.3.5...is different to what I had but is this ICS?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
well yes, but a major point of ics is that it's phone and tablet compatible easily. Any version will be 4.0.something

DCi
'the sensation XL will follow'

I can't be far away, although I'm not really sure what this is going to do so I dont really care :D

182FF with cup packs
Is that not a tablet version of Android though?

Gingerbread (2.3.x) was meant to be phone only (even though some companies stuck it on early tablets anyway). Honeycomb (Android 3.x) was a tablet only edition, Ice Cream Sandwich is 4.0.x and is a combined OS for tablets and phones.

I'm currently running ICS on my Transformer Prime (Official build) and my Galaxy SII (custom build), it's very nice indeed. I love how it syncs all my chrome bookmarks to it, very handy. And the beta of Chrome for Android is very nice

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19341/android_40_upgrade_list

Handy list with loads of devices on it.

Mito Sportiva 135
Think it is just like iTunes...go in and it should tell you if there's a newer version available? Although having said that, the few times I've used it not seen anywhere in there about software updates...just media transfer and syncing.

I read that the official Samsung update for the S2 is going to be heavily skinned by Samsung so that it doesn't look too different as not to 'confuse' people who would accept an OTA update that then makes their phone look totally different.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
It does look similar if you use touchwiz which is crap anyhow...
Mine still looks the same as it was with using ADWlauncher. It feels slicker though and has a few nice new touches:).

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I read that the official Samsung update for the S2 is going to be heavily skinned by Samsung so that it doesn't look too different as not to 'confuse' people who would accept an OTA update that then makes their phone look totally different.

Got to be honest, the skinned versions are usually more user friendly. I like HTC sense myself, its cleaner than raw android, so ill wait for the officialupdate rather than root. I don't think Samsung have got it wrong.

2014 Focus Titanium
I've just put an ICS ROM on my Sensation from XDA Dev forum and all I can say is WOW. It's like a new phone in terms of speed and usability.

Is there actually any concrete news as to when the UK will be getting it?

I know the changes aren't exactly ground breaking, but when I know there is an update out with new features etc I hate waiting!

2001 Clio 172
Through Kies. Keeps failing the download at the minute, but every time you select retry its gets further. It did this with my update of Kies the other day too. Just had to keep hitting retry until it finally did it.