ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ICE novice, what to buy?

Bob

Clio mk3 1.2 'Extreme'
Hello all, long time lurker, uncommon poster!

I've got a mk3 1.2 clio 'Extreme' and being quite a fan of music the standard sound system in the car really doesn't cut it. I was looking at buying a new headunit to start with, hopefully an Alpine iDA-x200. Unless anyone can suggest a better alternative in a similar price range, iPod compatability is a must. I'd like to keep the use of my stalk controls, would http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/29652-steeringstalk-control-adaptor-p-3474.html be the right adaptor for this? My car is a 55 plate.

I'd also like to get 2 more door speakers, seeing as my car only came with 2. There is wiring for 4 speakers already installed in the car, all with the connector to fit the standard speakers. Would fitting the Pioneer speakers designed for Renaults http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-tsq131c-renault-p-5922.html be as simple as plugging them in, and are they any good?

I might look at fitting a sub in my car soon too, but I really havn't got a clue about them. Could anyone reccomend me one in the price range of about £200 max? Preferably including an amp in that price if it's needed. I listen to all sorts of music, but I'd prefer a sub with good sound quality than one with deafening bass.

Thanks a lot for any help,
Bob.

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
someone on here is selling a 12" vibe blackair active (has a built in amp but the amps not as powerful as the sub)

vaux cavalier
Any package deal which contains a 'Juice' amp should be avoided....

I would say your best option is;

After market head unit
Uprated front components
4ch Amplifier
GT5 12" sub in Ported enclosure
4awg wiring kit
Sound deadening
2 sets of decent 'interconnects'....(RCA leads)....

Use the 4ch amplifier to drive the new components up front & use the rear ch's bridged to drive the sub....

Using all new items, your looking at a bill approaching 500 quid....

Mustang, S13, AX GT
not really sure about the head unit because I've not bought a new HU since getting my alpine a couple of years ago lol. If your looking for new speakers then I would say that renault made speakers are just a gimmick to up the price, any 13cm components would fit and for a wee bit more you'll get a lot better quality. The sub and amp you will be best off buying a sub on its own and like said above a 4ch amp to power the fronts and the sub, but should still be do-able in your £200 budget. If you want to run 4 speakers, I would say to put the standard renault fronts in the back on the already plumbed in wires, no need to amp but generally they'll only make a difference to passengers in the back of your car so I wouldn't really bother. for sub/amp/comps I would go for something like:
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4581.html
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/8426.html
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5378.html

that should see a good sounding system on a reasonable budget

get ready to dig deep in your pocket for the extras like stalk controls and display connectors, maybe you should think about whether you really need them!

IIRC the headunit facia adaptor in the mk3 is the same as a megane one

Bob

Clio mk3 1.2 'Extreme'
Thanks for all the info, given me a lot to think about! I didn't realise just how complicated a decent sounding sound system can be:eek: I shall gather my penny's together and see what I come up with, but I've just been stung with a bill for my college project and lets just say... the ICE is going to have to go on hold for a bit!

I'll avoid the Renault special Pioneers then, but will any tweeters fit my clio? Or are they different shapes / sizes? Would I notice much of a difference if I were to just get a decent new headunit and new component speakers for the front? Just until I can throw a bit more money at it for an amp and sub.

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
Thanks for all the info, given me a lot to think about! I didn't realise just how complicated a decent sounding sound system can be:eek: I shall gather my penny's together and see what I come up with, but I've just been stung with a bill for my college project and lets just say... the ICE is going to have to go on hold for a bit!

I'll avoid the Renault special Pioneers then, but will any tweeters fit my clio? Or are they different shapes / sizes? Would I notice much of a difference if I were to just get a decent new headunit and new component speakers for the front? Just until I can throw a bit more money at it for an amp and sub.
u'll notice quite a difference when you get a decent headunit and components mate