ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ideas on tuning my 172...

Skoda Fabia VRS
Hi All,

With the help of a few chaps on my previous post, I have now had my CAM belt done! The car hasnt blown up yet so it seems to be a good result. (Garage in Burscough)

Im after adding a bit more poke acceleration wise!

Its a bit of a challenge between me and a mate. I think he is in the lead tho:dapprove:

He has a Civic Type R and has just put a forced air filter to it. He thinks its about 230bhp now and 0-60 at about 6.2.

What options do I have to get this sort of performance.
I dont really want to Dcat mine.
My motor has:
New Brakes Discs and Pads (EBC discs and Green stuff pads) So it stops well. Plus I have a Scorpion CAT back exhaust. After reading a lot on the forum I realise I should have had a custom built exhaust but this one isnt to bad.

Any others with the same exhaust? does induction kits or air fiters change the engine not too much?

Thanks for reading.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
How you finding the ebc pads and disks ? Any better , worse than the stock Renault ones ?

There seems to be a few things you can do from reading past posts on here .Depends on your budget .

Not listed in any specific order :

182 exhaust manifold .

Viper air filter with cold air feed .

Inlet manifold reworked .

Decat exhaust

Shrick cams

Remapped ecu

Skoda Fabia VRS
I have found a big differance in the brakes, Initially they where about the same, but after a month or so they seem better. I mainly do motorway driving, but on a few "emergency stop" situations I have pulled up very quickly and surprised myself at just how well they work!

I will do a bit of research into the Air filter options.
(Not sure on how much I want to spend.)

Clio 172 mk2
230bhp with a forced air filter on the CTR....that's an increase of over 30bhp if it's a UK car!

I don't think so somehow

Skoda Fabia VRS
Neil G said:
230bhp with a forced air filter on the CTR....that's an increase of over 30bhp if it's a UK car!

I don't think so somehow

Possibly a bit of exageration on my mates part then :) He is going to do something to the exhaust system as well so maybe with this it will be up there somewhere... anywho, back to my motor!

inlet porting and remap also added to the list! sounds like a big list is going to be provided here!

Chris K, I will check it out.

Thanks

Skoda Fabia VRS
Chris K said:
If you want around 200bhp be prepared to spend at least £2k. It's not cheap!

I have noticed that...

I will prolly be getting a new/newer one in a year or two so its prolly not worth that much expense at the mo!

Clio 172 mk2
Think your wasting money chasing HP with the Renault....TBH it's enough fun as std.

How about enhancing the suspension/handling...that'll probably give you a more noticable improvement for your money.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Neil G said:
Think your wasting money chasing HP with the Renault....TBH it's enough fun as std.

How about enhancing the suspension/handling...that'll probably give you a more noticable improvement for your money.

Yep good point, I think I have been convinced to leave as is for now, I dont think I could cope with more engine noise either! I do a few long journies 300 miles plus, it gets a bit loud afrtar a while so induction kits or other air flow inprovements will prolly make it worse.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
get a set of coilovers and take the back roads... bump the motorway! great fun! ;)