ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Identify The Loose Bolt?

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
OK, I am still trying to find the cause of the loud metallic rattle that starts at 3K revs on my Clio 182. Today I am looking for anything obvious under the car, and undo the circular plastic hole cover in the undertray just behind the fron bumper, as it doesn't seem to be on properly. Guess what falls out of the hole?

cliobolt2.jpgcliobolt.jpg

It is 115mm long, around 10mm thick, has "Verbus" written on one side of the head, and "10-9" (or similar) on the other. It also has a green paint strip across it as can be seen in the photo.

Could anyone please tell me what this bolt should be doing? I am hoping whatever it should be bolted to is the cause of the rattle...

Cheers everyone.

Lionel Richie
lower alternator bolt, ive had them come loose a few times, get it sorted ASAP otherwise the aux belt "could" come off and jam the cambelt = bye bye engine

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Wow - quick replies cheers both.

Fred - master as always. If I look down onto the front of the engine facing the car with the bonnet open, is it the hole at the bottom of the right side of the altentator? If so then it does not want to fit in, which suggests the alternator has moved a little. I'll drive it very gently the quarter of a mile to the local garage first thing in the morning to get it sorted. Is it simply a bolt back in job - no worries about the aux belt?

Last question - would this bolt have been removed when I had the cam and aux belts changed?

Last edited:

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Fred and other clio experts, is this where the bolt is meant to go, at tip of red arrow?

cliobolt3.jpg

Lionel Richie
yup thats the one, and yes i slacken them off when doing the cambelt change, as i said previously i have had a few rattle loose

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Great, cheers Fred. I'll order a new one in the morning (I have the bolt but not the nut) and have a chat to he who changed my belts less than a thousand miles ago.

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Cool, that nugget of info just saved me six quid. Thanks again Fred. Onto the next problem...

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Well the bolt was replaced, and the noise is substantially reduced, but it is still there.

What would be improved by this bolt, but not removed altogether - are there other mounting bolts on the alternator to check?? It's driving me nuts as I am (mostly) limiting to 3K revs in case it is something serious, whereas I thought after the belts change I would have no limit..

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
SORTED! Cheers Fred and all who replied. On removing undertay today a second bolt fell out, that which bolted the cast brace (don't know it's correct name, anyone?) to the front of the block. Replaced and nipped, all now good.