ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

idiots guide to fitting four pots

mk2 172

now then peeps, got mine today and i aim to fit them tomorrow, but iv only ever changed pads not calipers:(. now ive never bled brakes or anything but i dont mine diving in head first and trying so does anyone know where there a step by step guide to doing it or can anyone be arsed to type one out, baically i wanna know what order to do thing to allow me to start on my car and to have some funtional brakes at the end of it:). im changing the rear discs as well if that makes any diff

thanks

Righto.

Get down to haflord and get a GUNSONS eazi-bleed kit....its really is the best and easiest way.

Get a brake union C spanner aswell....it should be 10 or 11 mm, but i dont know aobut citroens so dont quote me on that.

wheel off, loosen the brake hose union on the caliper with the C spanner, undo the 2 bolts holding the caliper onto the hub, take the caliper off and twist the caliper round so that hose unscrews. Screw on new caliper and mount i back up (with pads in) and replace the 2 bolts. I am ssuming there is no metal bracket adaptor, but if there is you will need to bolt this onto the hub before you bolt the caliper to the bracket. Make sure the brake line isnt twisted (will fail the MOT ).

To bleed the brakes, setup the gunson kit as per the instructions, and just bleed it till there are no bubbles. Press the brake to the floor twice or so just ot make sure there are no bubbles in there.

Easy job done.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you can get bleeding bottles with a one way valve in the pipe so you can just pump the pedal until the bubbles disappear without worrying about sucking air back into the system.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if your that lazy get one of those bleeders that just sucks it out of the nipple,dont even need to pump the brake pedal then.;)

the ezi-bleed kit you just stand there and turn the nipple on and off, no pumping necessary, better than the downstream vacuum types. Applies positive pressure to the reseviour....i love it!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

weve got one of them where you screw a connection to the reservoir and the fluid is pushed through by pressure.think it was quite pricey though.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

this thing weve got is on a trolley and you charge it up with a tyre pressure gauge/pump.as well as putting pressure down the system it refills the reservoir at the same time.

yup.....gunsons does the same, 14 quid, uses air pressure from a tyre valve, fills it up and bleeds it at the same time.

Hand peice of kit.

the pumping technique can have lethal effects on the master cylinder seals. corrosion and dirt tend to deposit on the part of the cyl that is never used when braking. pumping will use the corroded/dirty tract of cylinder damaging the seals. amazing how many pumps fail right after changing pads or after pumping-style bleeding.

gm
Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 15 February 2004
you can get bleeding bottles with a one way valve in the pipe so you can just pump the pedal until the bubbles disappear without worrying about sucking air back into the system.

Quote: Originally posted by crono33 on 16 February 2004

the pumping technique can have lethal effects on the master cylinder seals. corrosion and dirt tend to deposit on the part of the cyl that is never used when braking. pumping will use the corroded/dirty tract of cylinder damaging the seals. amazing how many pumps fail right after changing pads or after pumping-style bleeding.

gm

Indeed, but if most people looked after their braking system (regular yearlyor bi yearly bleeds) then this wouldnt be a problem.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by crono33 on 16 February 2004

gm

if you pump the pedal slowly then this method shouldnt give you any problems.also if the brake fluid is changed as per manufactures recomendations this should stop the build up of dirt in the system.i use this method everyday and if your careful then its no problem.ive only ever had one master cylinder fail after bleeding in all the years ive worked on cars.