ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

If you had the choice...

Leon Cupra R 225
Reeeeeeeeet,

As I don't currently own an RS Clio Im going to be looking to get one early next year at long last... however there is a problem...:S

How on earth am I meant to decide between =

1. 172 Cup
2. 182 Full Fat
3. Trophy (at a heftier price though)
4. V6 (if I suddenly win a nice cash sum)

I like the idea of the fully loaded full fat, but like the more 'race' appeal sported by both the 172 Cup and the 182 Trophy. The V6 is more of a dream at the mo, Im 21 next year also so insurance would be rapeage :dapprove: .

What would you go for???

Cheers, Tom

Drive them all and see which you like.

Mk1 172 personally better throttle pedal less complex computers better driving car cheaper tyres only negatves are lower safety record there older and the design I'm not keen on style inside and out wise.

If you want a phase 2 I'd gte a 172 full fat Cup might be a handful if your not willing to be careful the amount that get written off is shocking by drivers who think there young and can hande no ABS and drive it like a modern car with ABS.

Leon Cupra R 225
If you want a phase 2 I'd gte a 172 full fat Cup might be a handful if your not willing to be careful the amount that get written off is shocking by drivers who think there young and can hande no ABS and drive it like a modern car with ABS.

I'd rather have the ABS there just to put my mind at rest tbh.

Leon Cupra R 225
172 cup is meant to be quickest iirc... obv not inc the vee. :p
ever thought of a mk1 ;)

yeah the Cup is raved on here as being quickest... just :race:

Nope, not thinking of Mk1's, going for modern... has to be Mk2. Not even considering the 197... :dead:

Scirocco GT 210
Mk1 172

only negatves are lower safety record

I think in 2000 the clio got revamped (in terms of safety) and went from a 2 star to a 4 star NCAP rating.

So ph1 172s are just as safe (according to NCAP (4 stars)) as the phase 2s.

id get the trophy over the 182.... bit more unique, only so many made... although i dont think theres a big difference between the trophy and 182 apart from trophys are numbered

Don't analyse it to death as there's not a bad car among them.

In simple terms the Trophy is best (the suspension is extraordinary), the MK1 is purest and everything else is in between.

They all go like the clappers and most of them fall to bits.

Hope this helps!

cock mobile.
I'd get the Cup, spend a few quid on some simple mods, the usual stuff (inc seats) and you'd have a damn fine quick car for much less money than the Trophy, plus you won't look like a postie in it :)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
id get the trophy over the 182.... bit more unique, only so many made... although i dont think theres a big difference between the trophy and 182 apart from trophys are numbered

You really need to drive one, then report back.

Leon Cupra R 225
over all I like the 172 ff

for price/peformance

hope you dont mind a few rattles though !!

I've had a mk2 1.2 16v already so am used to the rattles etc.. all part of the fun lol. Im going to have to go get me some test drives!! :D yay

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
172 cup is meant to be quickest iirc... obv not inc the vee. :p
ever thought of a mk1 ;)

Nope, not thinking of Mk1's, going for modern... has to be Mk2. Not even considering the 197... :dead:

Trophy everytime mate, drive all of them.... down to personal preference but anyone who has driven one will say Trophy. The cost of just the recaro's and front suspension are something like £4k, sum of it's part are worth it.

Main differences are the trophy has remote shocks (£3k for the front 2), Recaro's (you can get this as an option though on the FF), red colour, V6 Spoiler, Grey turini's, Ebach Springs, IT sits slightly lower than the FF also.

The FF has some stuff the Trophy doesn't - CLimate control instead of Air con etc.
As I say though, drive 'em then see for yourself. Most people don't and just go on theory.

LY V6 with Recaros
I'd have the ff 182, hence why I bought one, I wanted racing blue and all the toys. Only thing I wish I could have had is recaros. Obviously if I had the cash though, I would have had the v6!

Leon Cupra R 225

Trophy everytime mate, drive all of them.... down to personal preference but anyone who has driven one will say Trophy. The cost of just the recaro's and front suspension are something like £4k, sum of it's part are worth it.

Main differences are the trophy has remote shocks (£3k for the front 2), Recaro's (you can get this as an option though on the FF), red colour, V6 Spoiler, Grey turini's, Ebach Springs, IT sits slightly lower than the FF also.

The FF has some stuff the Trophy doesn't - CLimate control instead of Air con etc.
As I say though, drive 'em then see for yourself. Most people don't and just go on theory.

thanks for the info there, I'd love Recaro's so the trophy is winning brownie points... I'll get down to Reno soon, try get a test drive in an RS of some sort lol! :)

Leon Cupra R 225
I'd have the ff 182, hence why I bought one, I wanted racing blue and all the toys. Only thing I wish I could have had is recaros. Obviously if I had the cash though, I would have had the v6!

chances are I won't quite have enough dosh to get the vee, still going to get a test drive or 2 tho :)

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
thing is with ABS u may thnk i wil be fine without it as few ppl here have been but wen ure skidding towards something, are u gona have enuf time and be calm enuf to take ure foot of brake and reply with less pressure etc, wen i had my first bump few weeks ago tht never came into my mind,

There isnt much difference in all of them really mate, its all about how much u want to spend (except the vee)

I love my car and its fair fast and didnt cost the earth, i would of prefered a trophy but there was no way i could jusify the cost difference between the 2.

182 cup, again the difference wasnt worth spending the extra money really imo.

Its up 2 you and how much cash you got, drive a few and see what ya think

FF 182 w/cup packs
imo if you can afford one go for a 182FF as they have the most refinements and are still quick or a trophy as they are limited run and still well spec'd. yeah the cup is quicker but you don't always go Mach 5 every day, i'd rather have climate control, leather etc, than go 0.5 sec fast on a 0-60.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Don't forget that teh Trophy has a different Suspension set up to all teh others.

From the list, i'd buy teh Trophy, Personally, i'd have a ph1 172.

and when are we going to meet up! I'm still waiting here boyo!

Mk1 172

only negatves are lower safety record

I think in 2000 the clio got revamped (in terms of safety) and went from a 2 star to a 4 star NCAP rating.

So ph1 172s are just as safe (according to NCAP (4 stars)) as the phase 2s.

Its still missing some airbags and the shell on the phase 2 is stronger.

In simple terms the Trophy is best (the suspension is extraordinary), the MK1 is purest and everything else is in between.
Thats disputable I could't live with one IMo there to hard suspension setups and the seats arn't suited to everyone.

I'd get a Williams, better than all the above imo.
Agreed.

Leon Cupra R 225
thing is with ABS u may thnk i wil be fine without it as few ppl here have been but wen ure skidding towards something, are u gona have enuf time and be calm enuf to take ure foot of brake and reply with less pressure etc, wen i had my first bump few weeks ago tht never came into my mind,

exactly, Im leaning towards the trophy and 182 FFs very much, got plenty of time just wanted to know what others would do.

Leon Cupra R 225
There isnt much difference in all of them really mate, its all about how much u want to spend (except the vee)

I love my car and its fair fast and didnt cost the earth, i would of prefered a trophy but there was no way i could jusify the cost difference between the 2.

182 cup, again the difference wasnt worth spending the extra money really imo.

Its up 2 you and how much cash you got, drive a few and see what ya think

Good comment, very true, I'll test drive a 172 cup, 182 FF and a Trophy to decide it I think

Leon Cupra R 225
imo if you can afford one go for a 182FF as they have the most refinements and are still quick or a trophy as they are limited run and still well spec'd. yeah the cup is quicker but you don't always go Mach 5 every day, i'd rather have climate control, leather etc, than go 0.5 sec fast on a 0-60.

True with the leather comment, would be nice as would climate instead of just air con. Plush yet still fast.

Leon Cupra R 225
Don't forget that teh Trophy has a different Suspension set up to all teh others.

From the list, i'd buy teh Trophy, Personally, i'd have a ph1 172.

and when are we going to meet up! I'm still waiting here boyo!

Yeah I know about the suspension on the Trophy being very different to the others, Im thinking I will either love it or hate it.

Oh yea, well Im leaving uni mate from Portsmouth going back home decided to leave my course, it's not for me. So will be back home in Kent, Bromley if you know it? I am going home tomorrow.

M2 Competition
Spend the extra and get a 182 ff unless you plan on doing lots of track days mate.

Feel far more refined, and like a lot more car for your money.

On the road they're no slower than a cup.

Leon Cupra R 225
Spend the extra and get a 182 ff unless you plan on doing lots of track days mate.

Feel far more refined, and like a lot more car for your money.

On the road they're no slower than a cup.

I was planning on getting onto the track with whatever I buy, but probably not a regular thing. Cheers for the comment.